Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2015, 08:53 PM   #21
J Franklin

Default Re: Another reason I hate Postal money orders

Nary a problem with PMOs here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TFordy2.jpg (80.6 KB, 61 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:03 PM   #22
deuce lover

PayPal,friends and family transfer-no fees.Money has to already be in the PayPal acct or must be linked to a bank acct.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
51504bat

Never had an issue with Postal Money Orders or PayPal for that matter. Cash them at the P.O. and then use the $$ to pay for the postage on the parts I'm mailing. Occasionally they don't have enough cash to cover the MO but my bank cashes them on the spot. When I have sold parts to Australia, Germany, Switzerland, or Norway I use PayPal since no Postal Money Orders from overseas. Just my .02 worth.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #24
34pickup

Safest way to send money for both the sender and the seller. Of course, if somebody thinks the Post Office is a bank then they might find out that they are not....they sell a service, not cash checks.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM   #25
TonyM

Never had a problem with a USPS money order. Instant money at the bank. Never occurred to me to cash a Postal money order at the post office. Take it to the bank.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 PM   #26
f1builder

the other issue i have with paypal now (had it for years) is if a buyer changes his mind they don't even need a good excuse, he don't even have to contact you, he files a claim and they withdraw the sum immediately which can cause problems with overdrafts. i had that happen with an ebay deal and i was in the right but it didn't do me any good cause ebay would not even try to be fair. i very very seldom do ebay anymore. paypal is cool as long as you do business with someone you trust and know they will contact you first if they have an issue.
f1builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 PM   #27
mrtexas

I repeat, I had a problem with PO money orders. The PO lost two letters that had MOs in them. I collected after 6 months on one lost MO and the other I couldn't find the receipt so it was a complete loss plus paying the idiots to look up the wrong receipt. The guy I sent one of the MOs to got one letter 3 years later! The other one never showed up. Safe way to send money? Not IMHO. Send a personal check and if lost you don't have to wait 6 months for your money back and pay the idiots that lost it to see if it has been cashed. I've never bought another PO MO. If the seller demands one I send a personal check and tell him I'll wait until it clears. Just wait until a PO MO you send gets lost you will find out how very inconvenient it is to get your money back!! They work great until you lose one! I relate my personal experience with the PO, as usual they don't give customer service like the private business they pretend to be. Oh the same can be said about bank issued MO as well. No MO of any kind for me. If PO MO are so safe why does the PO insist on "verifying" before paying for one? BEWARE! If you think waiting 6 months for a refund is fine go ahead and buy PO MOs.

Last edited by mrtexas; 07-09-2015 at 10:22 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 PM   #28
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1builder View Post
the other issue i have with paypal now (had it for years) is if a buyer changes his mind they don't even need a good excuse, he don't even have to contact you, he files a claim and they withdraw the sum immediately which can cause problems with overdrafts. i had that happen with an ebay deal and i was in the right but it didn't do me any good cause ebay would not even try to be fair. i very very seldom do ebay anymore. paypal is cool as long as you do business with someone you trust and know they will contact you first if they have an issue.
Was that a PayPal issue or an ebay issue? Sounds like an ebay issue.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:11 PM   #29
Rowdy
BANNED

That is why I have one account attached to paypal and transfer the money into another not connected to paypal as soon as the money gets deposited. Rod
Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #30
gearhead1952

My bank charges $8 for a money order and the post office is $1. No brainer there. The process is faster at the post office than the bank. My post office won't cash them as they say they don't have the money so I deposit at the bank. I once got a check in the mail from my bank when the person I sent a bank money order to did not cash it or maybe lost it. The person never contacted me and I got my part. The check from my bank came 3 years later! lol
gearhead1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:20 AM   #31
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I repeat, I had a problem with PO money orders. The PO lost two letters that had MOs in them. I collected after 6 months on one lost MO and the other I couldn't find the receipt so it was a complete loss...

...If PO MO are so safe why does the PO insist on "verifying" before paying for one?
Sounds to me like your problem is you don't keep receipts in a place where you can later find them, and didn't realize that you can cash a USPS MO at a bank.

Like 99% of the rest of the folks here, I've never had an issue sending or receiving USPS money orders. In fact, I'm certain that using a postal money order has saved me from being the victim of fraud.

The post office insists on verifying that the money order is a valid one, because just like personal checks, they can be forged. Unlike checks, however, a legitimate money order is guaranteed to have the funds to back it.

Hell, I still have receipts for the money orders I used to purchase parts 7+ years ago.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #32
32phil

For what it's worth I take "Barners" checks all the time. I don't ask for a PMO but I do get one now and again....actually the locks/keys go out before I get paid....Sending one to New Zealand this morning...not worried about getting paid in the least...Only got screwed once....... by a guy on the T-Bird site...Beat me for $7 ......go figure.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:25 PM   #33
ursus

I always wondered why many folks will only accept a USPS money order. More available and just as safe is a Western Union money order. Try to get your money back if a USPS money order goes missing in the mail? It will take months and an act of Congress.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #34
Royal Ryser

I have never had a problem with the Postal Service and I am 80! It does pay to pay attention to business and know where your receipts are.
I wonder if there are any "dim bulbs" on the Fordbarn?
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #35
Mike B

I think people like to us Postal MO's because they think the Government will "go after" the folks if they are frauded, i/e the parts don't get sent, etc.

Pretty sure the US Gov isn't going to get involved with 50 or 60 bucks of parts.

That said, I like Postal MO's, even if my PO doesn't have enough cash on hand, I can have it checked to make sure it's real in just a minute or two, unsure of any other MO's that can be verified so quickly.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #36
37 Coupe

Anybody else think it is strange or just plain wrong how long it takes some PayPal refund transactions? They are lightening quick on paying or receiving money on transactions but when it comes to a refund or transferring money to your bank why should it take 3-5 business days? I think it is just another way to hold up your money for PayPal to draw interest on. I am currently waiting since July 7th for a PayPal refund of my money,issued from an Ebay seller, "payment pending".
Old 07-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #37
1938 Coupe

I was in route sales and took in a lot of cash during the day. We weren't allowed to turn cash into the company at the end of the day so we bought money orders from the PO.
I never had a problem with the money orders themselves, just the wait in line to get them. The company wasn't paying me by the hour so they could care less. it wasn't their time wasted just mine!!!
Old 07-11-2015, 12:23 PM   #38
ems customer service

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
I have never had a problem cashing a postal MO or depositing them at my bank.

Did they say why they would not cash it? Did you try your bank?

never a problem also, even canadian mo are good in the usa
ems customer service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:30 PM   #39
Rowdy
BANNED

I had no problems getting my money back for the only one I have ever had that did not reach its destination. Went in and filled out the paper work after 30 days of it missing. They traced it and found it was not cashed and had my money back in under 10 days. Rod
Old 07-12-2015, 03:35 PM   #40
lonewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
I repeat, I had a problem with PO money orders. The PO lost two letters that had MOs in them. I collected after 6 months on one lost MO and the other I couldn't find the receipt so it was a complete loss plus paying the idiots to look up the wrong receipt. The guy I sent one of the MOs to got one letter 3 years later! The other one never showed up. Safe way to send money? Not IMHO. Send a personal check and if lost you don't have to wait 6 months for your money back and pay the idiots that lost it to see if it has been cashed. I've never bought another PO MO. If the seller demands one I send a personal check and tell him I'll wait until it clears. Just wait until a PO MO you send gets lost you will find out how very inconvenient it is to get your money back!! They work great until you lose one! I relate my personal experience with the PO, as usual they don't give customer service like the private business they pretend to be. Oh the same can be said about bank issued MO as well. No MO of any kind for me. If PO MO are so safe why does the PO insist on "verifying" before paying for one? BEWARE! If you think waiting 6 months for a refund is fine go ahead and buy PO MOs.
Are you angry
lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote