Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
FirstA

Default 29 Cab Disassembly

I should have viewed comments on taking my 29 CC Pickup cab apart before starting it. Looked simple but not really.
My biggest problem is taking the two rear panels apart. I did not expect the piece between the panels and the corners to be spot welded. Also how to separate the top and bottom panel without damaging them.
I need to replace the lower panel due to rust.
Thanks as always for help. The Ford Barn is Great!
FirstA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Dan Partain

Default Re: 29 Cab Disassembly

If you are going to replace the lower panel anyway, then here is how I would get them separated.

You should be able to locate the spot welds that are joining them. I would take a small block of wood wrapped with some fine sandpaper and run it along the top of the joint. This should make the spot welds appear.

Once you can see the spot welds I would grind them from the underside on the bad panel. I use a dremel tool with a small cutting disk for these kind of jobs.

If you insert a thin putty knife or screw driver between the panels in the joint that will let the joint open up at that point when the spot weld is loose. Be careful not to pry too much at this point because it will just give you more to repair if that flange gets bent up on the top panel.

You will find a thin piece of welt material between the panels. Most folks use a layer or two of friction tape when reassembling the panels.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
FirstA

Thanks Dan. I made it through the spot welds with very little damage. Now how to separate the top panel from the bottom? Rust again. I can't get the panels to pull out of the channel that holds them together.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
Dan Partain

The top and bottom panels are spot welded together, then the channel goes over them, then the bolts, lock washers, and nuts.

If it is all badly rusted you may have to sacrifice the channel to get it all apart. You can't do much prying before the back panels are stretched in the areas near the joint. Those areas are a bear to get flat again. You can buy that channel new or maybe find an original in good condition. If you grind the bottom of the U channel it will come apart in two pieces. Once you do that you can find the spot welds again as before.
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
FirstA

Thanks again Dan. I bought this truck already in pieces so it has been an adventure restoring it. I am thankful for the Ford Barn and all the information out there but I often wish someone would stop by and show me how to do things. But don't worry, I will hang in there.