Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-31-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
moasew

Default Rear spring u bolts won't tighten

Hi:

I'm reinstalling my rear spring after cleaning it up,adding a thin rubber cushion between it and the frame. The centre bolt goes right up into the hole of the frame but the original u-bolts won't tighen within 1/4" of the frame.Seems odd since I'm using the same amount of leaves and original u bolts.I thought about putting the spring spreader on but shouldn't have to do it at this point right?

The U-Bolt brackets are turned with the flat section against the spring.This is the same as my 29. What's the secret ?

Wilfred
moasew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Rear spring u bolts won't tighten

You don't want the bar to touch the frame, if it does then the spring will not
be tight. I would ditch the rubber.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Charlie Stephens

I agree with Bob. It doesn't sound like there is a problem but a couple of pictures to be sure we are all on the same page might help. Are the spring clip bars (part 00125-2 and 00125-3) at Sacramento Vintage Ford, http://www.vintageford.com/part_sear...0125&Category=) seated firmly against the spring? Note that these bars are different for different springs.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I agree to ditch the rubber, as you want a solid connection between the center of the spring and the frame. As Charlie mentioned, make sure you have the correct spring and clip bars for your model.

What Model A do you have, and what is the spring leaf count?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #5
moasew

I'm using the original springs and brackets that I removed from the car.The brackets are 3/4" high as opposed to 5/8". Maybe because it's an early 28? I just cleaned,lubricated and attempting to reinstall.The spring is a 10 leaf which is proper for my early 28 tudor. The brackets are tight against the spring but the castle nut is flush with the bottom of the u bolt so I can't install the cotter pin.I understood the recommendation (Les Andrews) was to place a cushion(rubber or body welting) on top of the rear and front spring to prevent squeaking.Is this not the case? If not should I place one between the frame and body?I took a few photos but this forum is looking for a web link which I don't have. I can't directly attach them here.If someone wants to send their email I can email them.Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #6
Tom Endy

Are you sure that the head of the center bolt is seated in the hole in the center of the frame?

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moasew View Post
I'm using the original springs and brackets that I removed from the car.The brackets are 3/4" high as opposed to 5/8". Maybe because it's an early 28? I just cleaned,lubricated and attempting to reinstall.The spring is a 10 leaf which is proper for my early 28 tudor. The brackets are tight against the spring but the castle nut is flush with the bottom of the u bolt so I can't install the cotter pin.I understood the recommendation (Les Andrews) was to place a cushion(rubber or body welting) on top of the rear and front spring to prevent squeaking.Is this not the case? If not should I place one between the frame and body?I took a few photos but this forum is looking for a web link which I don't have. I can't directly attach them here.If someone wants to send their email I can email them.Thanks for everyone's input.
As said, if I were you...with what you've described...I'd remove the rubber/cushion and all will be well, IMO. Make sure that the TOP edge of the TOP filler leaf...is tapered on its' edges , so that it rides against the taper of the cross member closely.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
moasew

The bolt is seated and I've removed the rubber cushion to no avail.Still have the same problem. Maybe once the spring is fitted to the shackles and flattened out a bit the u bolts will tighten up ? So there is a 1/4" space between the bar and frame. Perhaps this is normal ?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
jimvette59

Are you using a spreader ? Dose the first leaf have chamfers on both sides of the first leaf ?
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 PM   #10
katy

Quote:
I took a few photos but this forum is looking for a web link which I don't have
To insert pics you have to "Go Advanced" reply and then click on the pull down beside the paper clip icon.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:53 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

If your spring isn't spread out to the shackles that could be the problem. I always grease the top leaf to prevent rust, squeaks, and to let it move easier to find the bolt hole.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
moasew

Hi all:

Here are my photos of the rear spring install for my 28 Tudor.I have the same issue with or without the cushion in place.There are 10 springs as per original.As Tom mentioned I may have to spread the spring before I fully tighten the u bolts.The centre bolt is fitted perfectly in the frame hole as you can see. I welcome any other suggestions.
Wilfred
IMG_20150901_100735.jpg

IMG_20150901_100805.jpg

IMG_20150901_100831.jpg

IMG_20150901_100901.jpg

IMG_20150901_100919.jpg
Old 09-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #13
moasew

Thanks Katie. Who knew
Old 09-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Tom Foster

Looking at your first photo, it seems to me that you need to use the spring spreader and mount it in the shackles. The spring bars, brackets, whatever, that span the u-bolts, have a shoulder that needs to be up in the crossmember, and spreading the spring will open up the arch to let that happen. I've only done one of these but remember it well; but there's always someone who knows more about a particular problem than I might. Thanks for posting the pictures since the solution became obvious when we could see the problem. Beautiful work so far...
Fearless
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #15
chuckstinn

You said you are using the original springs and brackets that you removed from the car and the brackets are 3/4" high as opposed to 5/8". I’m not sure about the ¾” bars.
My vender parts catalogs (Bratton’s, Snyder’s, etc.) say the rear spring clip bars for the 10 leaf springs are 5/8”. I wonder if you replace the 3/4” bars with 5/8” bars if the extra 1/8” would give you the needed space to tighten the castle nuts.
chuckstinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #16
john in illinois

The center bolt looks wrong to me. It may be an illusion but it should be a square head bolt.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:07 PM   #17
Zack

Wilfred:
I'm by no means an expert here, but it looks to me like your center bolt is not all the way in through the cross member. Heres a picture of mine that I installed today. Yes I know my U bolts are the incorrect color, but I like the contrast.

Zack

Last edited by Zack; 07-05-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Zack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #18
1931 flamingo

2 diff center bolts, one is hex, yours is square. Neither have any effect on his "problem". I think if he spreads the spring he will be all right.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

I know little also about this situation but could the center bolt not be tight enough?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote