Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
updraught

Default If Henry was on Twitter would anyone like him?

https://theworldnews.net/au-news/why...erent-to-yours
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
mhsprecher

Default Re: If Henry was on Twitter would anyone like him?

Henry is not on Twitter and I don't like him. I respect him and his accomplishments. The problem with him was that once he was successful, he quit innovating, so much of the respect I have for his accomplishments diminished by the end of his life. He became a hindrance to progress.

You don't have to like and probably can't like innovators, no matter their field. They are executing their vision, not looking for love or even to be liked. I probably wouldn't like Elon Musk if I met him, but you have to respect what he has done. Steve Jobs was a first class a-hole, but he changed the world, too.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Henry is not on Twitter and I don't like him. I respect him and his accomplishments. The problem with him was that once he was successful, he quit innovating, so much of the respect I have for his accomplishments diminished by the end of his life. He became a hindrance to progress.

You don't have to like and probably can't like innovators, no matter their field. They are executing their vision, not looking for love or even to be liked. I probably wouldn't like Elon Musk if I met him, but you have to respect what he has done. Steve Jobs was a first class a-hole, but he changed the world, too.
I saw something somewhere where Henry may have had atlziemers or vascular dementia - would explain things a little if true.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post

There have been lots of people who have changed the world. Whether their changes were were for the better though is another matter and would be hotly contested. I do not respect a person simply because they changed the world but I do respect soeone who at least tried to make it better whether they succeeded or not.
By the way, I have absolutely no presence on any of the social media platforms so the question is moot.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
midgetracer

I used to think of Henry Ford as a hero. I read all the early books about him and the authors all praised him as a folk hero. No one said a cross word about him. Later books pointed out his anti-semitic persuasion. He was unfaithful to his wife with Evangaline Dahlgren , but most of my change of heart about Henry was the way he treated his only son who was a great person in his own way. Recently I purchased his "my Life And Work" book and after reading a few chapters, his arrogance got to me and I did not finish. He was a shrewd business man, but after financial success, he became a very unlikable man. He hired thugs to enforce his rules, and his sociology department tried to control employees personal lives. His views expressed in his Dearborn Independant probably show what he would be like on Twitter.....Not very likable.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
I used to think of Henry Ford as a hero. I read all the early books about him and the authors all praised him as a folk hero. No one said a cross word about him. Later books pointed out his anti-semitic persuasion. He was unfaithful to his wife with Evangaline Dahlgren , but most of my change of heart about Henry was the way he treated his only son who was a great person in his own way. Recently I purchased his "my Life And Work" book and after reading a few chapters, his arrogance got to me and I did not finish. He was a shrewd business man, but after financial success, he became a very unlikable man. He hired thugs to enforce his rules, and his sociology department tried to control employees personal lives. His views expressed in his Dearborn Independant probably show what he would be like on Twitter.....Not very likable.

....and most would say his business practices were often shady by today standards.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Bob-A

Cool Re: If Henry was on Twitter would anyone like him?

And don't forget Henry was admired by Adolph Hitler. Who had him decorated with a prestigious Nazi medal prior to WWII. The way the world is today I'm sure he would still have is followers. Edsel Ford was the real brains behind the Model-A. And from what I've read a great guy, too.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #8
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
And don't forget Henry was admired by Adolph Hitler. Who had him decorated with a prestigious Nazi medal prior to WWII....
Bob-A
So what? A few years ago, I received a written letter of thanks and a medal and accommodation from the recent former President of the United States. Does that mean that I agree with him or support him? Not even a tiny bit!!! I was recognized for a selfless act while following orders. Not for one second did I support the man's policies. Why judge Henry Ford for some recognition that a monster like Hitler gave him? Not Ford's fault.

Historians use that as a basis for calling Henry Ford some ugly things. By the way, there is no law against not liking someone or a group of people. Political correctness was not one of Henry Ford's concerns. As a fellow engineer, I like the way he thought when it relates to machinery. The rest of the stuff about him isn't any of my business.

Last edited by P.S.; 09-12-2018 at 10:13 AM.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

You can still appreciate a persons accomplishments, but still dislike their methods and personalities. Sometimes it takes a jerk to get things done, not caring what others think, not done by committee.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
Bill Pursel

I appreciate his work but do not like the way he treated his son and hated jews etc.
Bill Pursel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #11
100IH

He'd have been thrown out of the barn in minutes. Most of the answers are here yet so many don't want to buy the books, don't want to read them, don't want to read the posts except for their own post, want someone to make a movie because they are lazy or impatient. Often, it seems they don't want to learn names and terms of the trade so the question is unintelligible. Henry would bolt and walk away.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #12
dumb person

If twitter was around in 1929 Henry Ford would have lots of happy followers.

If he was on there today there would be so many troll posts. I bet he'd treat his detractors on there the same way i would. Posting things to upset them, tongue in cheek or not.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM   #13
woofa.express

Nothing is Black nor White. Always a little grey.

I was wondering why Mr Ford disliked Jews so I went to Youtube and found an 8 minute documentary on same. No doubt the commentators were mostly Jews. It was interesting and showed a David and Goliath fight where a man who had grown up an orphan with nothing beat Mr Ford. Most interesting and here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgV0ehidyo

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 09-19-2018 at 04:33 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #14
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I don't know if people would like him or not, but if he were to post the exact date the first '30 model was produced for example (or any specific fact), he'd have about 20 self-styled experts telling him he's wrong!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #15
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post
Nothing is Black nor White. Always a little grey.

I was wondering why Mr Ford disliked Jews so I went to Youtube and found an 8 minute documentary on same. No doubt the commentators were mostly Jews. It was interesting and showed a David and Goliath fight where a man who had grown up an orphan with nothing beat Mr Ford. Most interesting and here is the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pgV0ehidyo
What those hateful people in the video forgot: "Hate speech" is still free speech. By shutting down the Dearborn newspaper, all they managed to do was stomp on the 1st Amendment. They believe that any speech that does not agree with them must be silenced. That's wrong.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #16
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.S. View Post
What those hateful people in the video forgot: "Hate speech" is still free speech. By shutting down the Dearborn newspaper, all they managed to do was stomp on the 1st Amendment. They believe that any speech that does not agree with them must be silenced. That's wrong.

Yes that is quite true PS. It is a controversial topic here in Australia. Hate speech is illegal and is used as a tool by the lefties, greenies and radicals, along with their armoury of "you've offended me, that racist, that's discriminatory etc.' . That's the workings of these social warriors when they can't win debate. Add scorn and ridicule.

Hopefully it will come to a head one day.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #17
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Yes that is quite true PS. It is a controversial topic here in Australia. Hate speech is illegal and is used as a tool by the lefties, greenies and radicals, along with their armoury of "you've offended me, that racist, that's discriminatory etc.' . That's the workings of these social warriors when they can't win debate. Add scorn and ridicule.

They're doing the very same thing here and the effects are disastrous.

Edsel Ford was quite the guy from all I've read. Loved by everybody. His father treated him like crap because he was trying to 'toughen him (Edsel) up' he saw his son as 'too soft.' That was pure nonsense the Ford Motor Company would have would have been toast by the late 30's if it hadn't been for Edsel, and Cast Iron Charlie Sorensen, Joe 'shit-a-metal' Galamb, Peter Martin and a handful of others. It was time for Henry to shut up and get out of the way by the Model A launch time.

One of the first and best things Henry II did when he took over was fire that worthless POS Harry Bennett.

GM never operated like that, it is a miracle that Ford Motor Co. emerged from all that mess to live another business day.

But back to your original question 'If Henry was on Twitter........" I can guarantee that he would show that new idiot CEO Hackett the door immediately and then bawl out Bill Ford in a big big way.... 'What were your thinking of???' hiring an office furniture maker to run my Company? That fool doesn't know squat about the car industry.

If Ford is serious about staying in business, and they'd better do it dam quick, they would hire people out of Toyota management to come in and clean house. The stock prices show that. Ford is a little over 9 bucks a share, Toyota is running $125 per share. What does THAT tell you?
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:05 AM   #18
dumb person

Quote:

They can't win, ever. The first thing they do when presented with facts & science is to post some emo bish tripe.

Now go make a twitter account & post facts, and ask for people to post pictures of their tears, and repost the tears for our enjoyment.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #19
P.S.

Could not agree more with you, Jeff. I agree with every point you made.

Ford just happens to be riding a wave of customer loyalty and residuals from some of the best trucks ever made a while back. If Ford would dump the computers and screens from their trucks, they would rule the truck market today.

If alive today, Henry Ford would likely be diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome from what I can tell. Aspies tend to hyper-focus on certain subjects and obsess over things neural-typical people find common. Asperger's is often called "The engineer's disease" because so many of them gravitate toward the engineering disciplines. A lot of Ford's mannerisms and ways of thinking are relatable to me and others with Asperger's. It would explain a lot.