Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
tyler

Default What would cause this...carburator

Got my electrical problems fixed, buttoned everything back up and to my amazment, the car started. Thought I' let it run for a while as it hasn't been run all winter. Started it with the gav open a little less than three quarters turn, after it warmed up a bit, closed the gav to 1/4 turn, where it normally runs well when warm. Was running fine but after 5 minutes or so it started running rough and to smooth it out, I had to OPEN the gav 3/4 turn.
What would cause this and what can I do to fix it? All stock setup, carb rebuilt last year.
Thanks

Tyler
tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
tdlmomowers

Default Re: What would cause this...carburator

Opening the GAV, riches the mixture, so it sound like the Carb. was leaning out. Check your Carb. and see if the main jet is getting clogged up with something. The Zenith Carb. is very easy to clean and blow out all the passages. The new gas with ethanol is bad to leave deposits in the float bowl. I redid a Carb. last year the looked like it was full of baking soda. I soaked the Carb.in white vinegar for a few hours and it cleaned up really nice and worked great.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Gary WA

Has the car been sitting for the winter?? check your points for winter residue!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
steve s

Starting to run rough after warmup can be due to premature fuel vaporization (fighting words) or thermal expansion either opening up a vacuum leak or creating a poor electrical connection. The fact that opening the GAV cured it, eliminates the last one but leaves the first two, IF the behavior is reproducible after car sits over night again.

If it runs rough from the get-go the next time you start it, I would suspect a piece of crud has found its way into one of the carb jets. Try the carburetor Heimlich: momentarily race motor via throttle shaft while simultaneously completely covering carb air intake with palm of hand and then quickly pulling it away before motor dies. Probably smart to wear a glove in case of backfire. The tremendous vacuum created by racing the motor WILL pull anything caught in the jets on through. Might have to repeat a few times.

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 04-14-2013 at 10:03 AM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Bill in Al

When mine acts that way I find it's usually the in- carb filter and take it out,blow through it and it's ok then. Only happens when about 1/4 or less in the tank. I know,I know! I need to clean the tank!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Contenderizer

Also, check for a vacuum leak.
Contenderizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
tyler

I'll try all your suggestions in the morning and see what happens. I'll report back with my findings. Thanks again, guys.

Tyler
Old 04-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #8
ctlikon0712

Contenderizer, that was what I was going to say also. Once she is warmed up and expanded it sounds like a vacuum leak developed hence the need to correct the A/F ratio.... check the throttle plate shaft area, carb to intake gasket, intake to block gasket and possibly the vacuum wiper and associated lines.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #9
tyler

O.K., what's the best way to check for a vacuum leak and where is the throttle plate shaft? I put all new manifolds and gaskets on the engine last summer, was very carefull to make sure everything snugged up several times after running the car some. Don't have a vacuume wiper so that's out. Thanks again.

Tyler
Old 04-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler View Post
O.K., what's the best way to check for a vacuum leak and where is the throttle plate shaft? I put all new manifolds and gaskets on the engine last summer, was very carefull to make sure everything snugged up several times after running the car some. Don't have a vacuume wiper so that's out. Thanks again.

Tyler
The throttle shaft is connected to the arm, which connects to the linkage on back to the gas pedal.

To check for a vacuum leak I like to use a propane torch UNLIT. Just turn the torch valve open a little and use it to sniff around the carb and manifold. If there is a leak, it will suck in the propane and make the engine run faster and smoother.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
ctlikon0712

Pages 8-10 of this wonderful PDF by Tom Endy, covers the throttle shaft area and how to fix if it is the problem.
http://www.ocmafc.org/techarticles/T...%2011-2007.pdf
What happens is the shaft eventually wears an elongated hole in the casting. This sucks air, bypassing the metering effects the carb was designed to do and makes for a lean mixture. The fix is to re bushing the casting.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
ba49

Check your condenser. Mine acted exactly like that and it turned out to be the condenser.
ba49 is offline   Reply With Quote