Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: Brattons NEW & Improved Float A Motor...any comments or Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Thanks, pooch. Your absolutely correct! I used to blame brain-freezes on ice cream, now it's just . . I can't remember.... Yes, I'll fix it pronto.
Hey Mike,
Would you comment on when to change out the donuts ('elastomers'), as the rubber surely wears out...but the question is ...is there a way to know by evidence WHEN

BTW ..really appreciate your information and how presented. IMO, my FAM (rear and trans...with stock front mount )units have done a wonderful job...over stock setup. I believe mainly because I installed and used this equipment with some of what you've confirmed here. In other words, like you say, if properly installed/used with additional HP , they have advantages,eh
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #22
steve s

So, Mark, I gather that the answer to your question is, no, nobody has any experience with the new FAM.

My question is, where is a source describing Bratton's FAM as new? The online catalog says nothing about being new that I can see.

Thanks.
Steve
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #23
denis4x4

Using a FAM on the roadster with a custom frame and a 32 front motor mount. The CCPU has FAM on the rear. Both installations use SBC rubber donuts that are cheap and easy to replace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-005F.JPG (88.6 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-001S.JPG (50.5 KB, 44 views)
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #24
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Using a FAM on the roadster with a custom frame and a 32 front motor mount. The CCPU has FAM on the rear. Both installations use SBC rubber donuts that are cheap and easy to replace.
Hey denis,
Since reading Mikes discertation on FAM useage,etc., I've also been wondering whether the V8 Ford donuts and/or the sbc donuts would be a better choice than the donuts supplied by vendors? Mikes info, suggests to me at least, that the mighty pounding/heating/flexing,etc that the vendor supplied donuts take, would surely wear them out sooner than later....and probably sooner than donuts made for much heavier/bigger/more powerful engine, i,e,- sbc and V8 flathead..no?
What results have you found dens? Anything quantifyable? Also, did you have to do any modification(s) , i.e.-trimming/changing seat??

Hm, Mike says that he's 'done', but you know that he KNOWS,eh
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #25
40 Deluxe

I have a question about some of "the driving force being transmitted through the top of the rear spring to the crossmember". In effect, this would mean we're moving the car by pushing on the rear spring eyes, and the spring only contacts the frame at the top of it's arch. This is a lot of leverage against the side of the spring, which would seem to easily twist the spring (and crossmember) out of position. It's always seemed to me that a transverse spring is only for carrying a vertical load (weight of the car), not a side load. Therefore, all the driving force is transmitted through the torque tube to the motor mounts, which are designed to carry a thrust load.
40 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I have a question about some of "the driving force being transmitted through the top of the rear spring to the crossmember". In effect, this would mean we're moving the car by pushing on the rear spring eyes, and the spring only contacts the frame at the top of it's arch. This is a lot of leverage against the side of the spring, which would seem to easily twist the spring (and crossmember) out of position. It's always seemed to me that a transverse spring is only for carrying a vertical load (weight of the car), not a side load. Therefore, all the driving force is transmitted through the torque tube to the motor mounts, which are designed to carry a thrust load.
My Lord! why do we fuss & over-analyze everything? They DON'T make the motor "FLOAT" all over the place! They're just a slug of rubber to keep the engine gyrations from makin' noise in the frame & body! You don't have enough years left to wear out the rubbers. Just don't tighten them too tight & forget the rear trans thingy, it don't do squat. I'm surprised that someone doesn't fear that they will throw the radiator filler neck out of alignment & cause the QUAIL to pee on the windshield.
Let's deal with really IMPORTANT things, like, what's for SUPPER?
Had FAM's on the other car, they were SUPERB, won't put them on Vermin 'cause I'm TIRED & semi-broke. Bill W.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #27
hardtimes

Hey Bill,
'tired & semi-broke' !!
Heck bring that heap down here , I'll buy you a FAM set and putem on for ya....properly, with the 'trans thingy'. You get a better offer, better take it,eh !