Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Dave Dta

Default 2 tooth steering box rebuild questions

Hello, I am trying to adjust my two tooth steering box. I have installed new bearings for the worm gear(using the original worm), new sector shaft bushings, and a new sector shaft. My problem is that if I adjust the eccentric so that I can get the full left to right(about 3 turns), there is no play at the center, but going to each end, there is a fair amount of play... I talked to a friend who has had Model A's for over 60 years, and he said it should have a bit of play in the center, and tight on the ends... I think that the sector shaft that I got is probably the culprit. Any ideas? Also, moving the eccentric rivet left or right did not help. Thank you, Dave
Dave Dta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: 2 tooth steering box rebuild questions

I have been fighting this same thing for a long time. I bought a new sector shaft and used the old worm and could not get the slop out in the center. If I did tighten that up, it bound when I put weight on it and tried to turn it. I bought a new worm and was ready to put that in and I made one last adjustment, and, like magic, it is better than it has been, so I'm leaving it alone for now. Still have the new sector and worm.
I really think that we must put in a new worm. The worm wears in the center and a new sector can not fix it. Slop off center is not a problem. It must have no binding on center and very little slop. If you can get it to that point and still be able to get around a corner, then you are good. Just my opinion, and pushing on a new worm scares me.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Brentwood Bob

You would have slop at the ends. As the center wears, and the ends are tight you would be tightening up the center and binding the ends. Your friends assessment might need to be rethought.
Sounds like you have the best adjustment for your box's condition. Move on.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I would replace the worm when doing a sector

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 12-28-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Is the steering assembly a gemmer? or a ford casting. Replacement bearings are only sold for the gemmer. Try the old bearings if this is the case with your assembly and you find that the casting is a ford casting.
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
Dave Dta

Thank you for the responses. I took my old,worn sector shaft and put it back in to see if it was better. I was able to have less trouble with the old one. I forget where I got the new pos shaft, probably a swap meet. I'm going to get another one, this time from a dealer, where it may be returned if necessary...
Dave Dta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Licensed to kill

I just rebuild mine this morning. New sector as well as new worm. No matter how i adjusted it, I either had no lash at the ends but tight in the middle or smooth but no lash in the middle but lash on either end. This is how I ended up setting it, my thought being that no lash in the middle will allow it to run straight down the road and I won't have to herd it and lash at the ends shouldn't matter as the tires natural tendency to want to go straight will keep the force on one side of the lash in a turn preventing it from wandering. I would much rather have zero lash with smooth cycle end to end but can't seem to get that.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Your friend gave you some wrong information. Read the SERVICE BULLETINS first, then rebuild the steering.
You may have to go through the adjustments twice to get it all correct the way Ford built it.
Ford DID build the steering to be snug in the center, and with some play when it's turned away from center.
By doing this you can do adjustments after years of use, and still have good steering without binding.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #9
MAG

X2 on post 8.