Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Frank The Plumber

Default A Very positive experience with a manufacturer.

Today I had an encounter with a company that was very positive. On Saturday I was tuning the old girl and she started running really rough, so I started trying to tune out the rough, well what the hey, I just could not tune it out and it starts sounding like I spun a cam bearing or something, so I shut her off, let her cool down and go to bump her, I got nothin, OK I think maybe I kaputzed my Optima Yellow top, I was talkin about it and the jinx must have bit me in my tail. Fully expecting a cooked Optima I get her to charge. It's not that, but what are all of these bits of copper on my engine? I look under it and more bits and plastic chunks. I grenaded my alternator, dang theres 2 bills, shes a chromed GM 100 amp. I called March and they tell me it's a Power Master, dang a quality one too. So I call Power Master, they are in West Chicago 30 minutes from me, bring it in he says. OK, So I take the alt in and the guy comes out, he thinks I may have hammered on it to get a pulley on, but the set of pulleys I'm running slip right on, the rear bearing has slid back allowing the whole assembly to make contact. I don't argue, Let me know what you think, I'm expecting to pay to have her rebuilt, she's 2 years old, few miles but hey why not. I sat there about 10 minutes and the guy pokes out his head, says it will be a bit it's really messed up. I sink into the chair a bit more comfortably. About 5 minutes later he walks out with it and puts it in my and, I expect him to say junk buy a new one, he says ok it's all fixed, I ask what I owe, he says nothing, they completely rebuilt it and even better that before, no plastic, how freakin cool is that? I just had to relate this to you guys, what a great company, made in the states, how awesome. I wish he was an alliance vendor. He also makes all kinds of starters including the one I have and rebuilds them there. Power Master has a customer for life and my thank you.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #2
Barry-ct

Default Re: A Very positive experience with a manufacturer.

Always great to hear a positive story about a seller.

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
joel

Good to know as I hope to be shopping for an alternator and starter in the spring.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #4
richard crow

a crome plated alternator will fail much sooner. this is a fact. now i lit the fuese lets hear the responce.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
richard crow

a crome plated alt. will fail much sooner than a none plated one this is a fact some rebuilders woun,t gauranty a crome plated one .now i lit the fuese lets here the responce
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #6
Frank The Plumber

Search no farther Richard the fuse has been doused, not only does power master manufacture a chrome plated alternator they also proudly stand behind it, no ifs ands or butts. Proudly made in the USA as well.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Ken Crans

We don't have nice people like that in Detroit Frank, They would have raped you on the price. Nice to hear someone gets lucky every once in a while.Ken
Ken Crans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Bob/Pa

You are correct, I installed a chrome 100a on my 289 and within a month or so it started to whine, I gave them a call and they immediately sent a new one and told me to return the bad one in the same box with prepaid ups. Great company.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Displayman

Bought a 12 volt alternator, that looks like a 6 volt from them last winter.
Nice product ship to me on time.
Very nice people to deal with.

Bob Hampshire, Illinois
Displayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
joe plumber

Hey Frank ,it's nice to know that there are other nice people out there besides us plumbers.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #11
OLD...BILL

Thanks Frank; Good to know, like Joel, I'll be in the market for a Alternator next year, may not be spring but close. I Googled and found POWERMASTER, please conform there address is: 1833 Downs Drive, West Chicago,Ill, 60185 ?? I am sure they will ship to North California. and there starters; do they rebuild the stock flathead starters? thanks again.... as for you richard, take your can of worms elsewhere ..... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Frank The Plumber

That's them, I am not sure whether they do rebuild flat head starters, they may. The owner is a car guy, he has a lot of different set ups for alternators in difficult positions, above, next to and below the engine. They also sell a lot of different starter applications, and they sell clockable starters, meaning you can rotate them to clear headers and such. I have one of their starters they make for MSD, I went right to a quality starter due to hot start problems with stock starters, this one gives me no troubles hot or cold. Give them a holler Bill, they will most likely send you a catalog right out.