Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Gene1949

Default Oil Filter-ology

OR converting our oiling system to “full flow” oil filtration. Might get a little wordy but forgive me, I’m old
I wanted to start a discussion of the benefits of converting our engines. There are some threads here and over at the H.AM.B.

After giving it some thought I’ve concluded it’s a waste of time. Here’s why;
The flathead is ALWAYS filtering oil thru the 60-80 .000” restrictor orifice. I use either a WIX or Baldwin. There is other brands out there of similar quality

MOST “modern” engines have a bypass valve to protect the oil filter from over pressurization. Fer instance, that little aluminum gizzy/adaptor where your spin-on filter goes in a Chevy has a little (3/8”) spring loaded disk [valve] that unloads at about 6 lbs. There are others out there that unload at a higher pressure
MOST spin on filters have their own [internal] bypass valves.

Start throwing rocks, guys. I’m here to learn
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:19 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Oil Filter-ology

Gene: The topic of Full flow oil system conversion has been around for a very long time.
Here's a Fordbarn discussion from 2016. No doubt Henry Ford's OEM system was adequate for his OEM engines.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203777
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Gene: The topic of Full flow oil system conversion has been around for a very long time.
Here's a Fordbarn discussion from 2016. No doubt Henry Ford's OEM system was adequate for his OEM engines.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203777
Thankx for that19Fordy. I'm suggesting the flatty system was more than adequate AND just as good [if not better] than converting to a "full flow" system.
Old 12-07-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
tubman

I'm with "Gene1949" on this, especially the way the vast majority of these vehicles are used and maintained these days. One thousand mile oil change intervals and no operation on dirt roads means that it is more important to get as many of the smaller particles filtered out as you can and not worry about the big chunks (of which there are none). Someone on here (I think it was "51-Merc-Ct") figured out that all of the oil passes through the filter every 10 or 11 minutes.

Better we should concentrate on fulfilling the 1000 mile interval suggested for chassis lubrication. A lot of people miss it.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:28 AM   #5
flatford8

In one of the many past threads, someone posted a comment about the “stock ugly oil filter”. I think one in original type condition or re-painted with original style decals looks good sitting up there. I’ve seen some nice ones with pin stripes. As has been stated many times, if it didn’t work Henry would not have spent the money to put it on there......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:34 AM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post

MOST “modern” engines have a bypass valve to protect the oil filter from over pressurization. Fer instance, that little aluminum gizzy/adaptor where your spin-on filter goes in a Chevy has a little (3/8”) spring loaded disk [valve] that unloads at about 6 lbs. There are others out there that unload at a higher pressure
MOST spin on filters have their own [internal] bypass valves.

Start throwing rocks, guys. I’m here to learn
I also consider the "full flow" system a waste of time.
Spin on filters with "bypass valves" have the valves to insure that the oil continues to flow should the filter clog, not to prevent "over pressurization" in the filter.
Old 12-08-2021, 09:03 AM   #7
Gene1949

51 MERC-CT

I did not mean to suggest the filter internal bypass was to prevent over pressurization. That is the job of the block adaptor as stated in my post.
You are correct in that the oil filter bypass is for those who do 20,000 mile oil changes [clogged filter]
Sorry for the confusion
Old 12-08-2021, 02:52 PM   #8
Cecil/WV

I converted my '40 pickup to 90% filtration and I would not do it again, not worth the work and expense involved!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
aussie merc

my two cents worth i would never run without a filter of some kind the only mod i would make to the ford setup would be to move the restrictor to the return this allows anything larger than the restrictor to enter the filter not clog the restrictor Major heavy engine manufacturers still run bypass filters and if you weigh the filters when you change them surprise surprise the bypass filter has more weight increases so its trapping more than the full flow and dont use cheap filters their cheap for a reason quality counts
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #10
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
Major heavy engine manufacturers still run bypass filters and if you weigh the filters when you change them surprise surprise the bypass filter has more weight increases so its trapping more than the full flow and dont use cheap filters their cheap for a reason quality counts
They run 3 micron bypass filters in addition to the full flow filter.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #11
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
my two cents worth i would never run without a filter of some kind the only mod i would make to the ford setup would be to move the restrictor to the return this allows anything larger than the restrictor to enter the filter not clog the restrictor Major heavy engine manufacturers still run bypass filters and if you weigh the filters when you change them surprise surprise the bypass filter has more weight increases so its trapping more than the full flow and dont use cheap filters their cheap for a reason quality counts
Moving restrictor to return line has one disadvantage in that pressure inside filter housing will be somewhat higher. I would like to hear from someone who's done this to see if they had any problems with leakage of canister.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #12
aussie merc

can be done canister needs to be in good condition and top edge lapped flat
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #13
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko39 View Post
Moving restrictor to return line has one disadvantage in that pressure inside filter housing will be somewhat higher. I would like to hear from someone who's done this to see if they had any problems with leakage of canister.
Interesting idea, thank you.
Old 12-10-2021, 09:53 AM   #14
vilanar

I'm with Gene here also. Bypass filter catches smaller particles and does a really good job.
In our OT heavy trucks there is also centrifugal canister filter witch spins by oil pressure.
That is one awesome devise and collects amazing amounts of crap from oil.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
earlyride

I would leave the restrictor in place on the inlet as designed, for one on cold start up I would want all the oil pressure I could get going to the internals rather than filling a drained out oil filter housing. If you have things floating in your engine that would clog a restricter you have other problems. Just my opinion
earlyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:47 PM   #16
Don T

This is just for information; my 2 CDN 8Ba's with factory filter do not have a restriction on the inlet to the filter; the restriction is downstream of the filter. The restriction is a very small hole drilled in the center shaft which is the return "pipe" to the pan. I guess this would mean the filter would clean the oil before it had a chance to plug the restriction which would not be the case with the restrictor on the inlet. I doubt if the filter would drain down 1/2 a pint when sitting for a long time in which case I would guess the filter itself would act as a restrictor on start-up. Both of these engines had the restrictor hole plugged (with crud) when taken apart, effectively the filter would never get dirty so unlikely it was ever changed. Restriction plugged= no filtering.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:24 AM   #17
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
This is just for information; my 2 CDN 8Ba's with factory filter do not have a restriction on the inlet to the filter; the restriction is downstream of the filter. The restriction is a very small hole drilled in the center shaft which is the return "pipe" to the pan. I guess this would mean the filter would clean the oil before it had a chance to plug the restriction which would not be the case with the restrictor on the inlet. I doubt if the filter would drain down 1/2 a pint when sitting for a long time in which case I would guess the filter itself would act as a restrictor on start-up. Both of these engines had the restrictor hole plugged (with crud) when taken apart, effectively the filter would never get dirty so unlikely it was ever changed. Restriction plugged= no filtering.
US filters have two (2) holes in the center return pipe at the same level as the restricted inlet.
There is no restrictor hole in the inlet to the filter. The restrictor hole is in the fitting that goes into the inlet hole on the filter.

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 12-12-2021 at 07:27 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:48 AM   #18
rotorwrench

Ford knew what they were doing when they designed their filtration system. I wouldn't try to fix something that isn't broken.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:12 PM   #19
Cleveland39

[attach]Oil filter.jpg[/attach]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
in one of the many past threads, someone posted a comment about the “stock ugly oil filter”. I think one in original type condition or re-painted with original style decals looks good sitting up there. I’ve seen some nice ones with pin stripes. As has been stated many times, if it didn’t work henry would not have spent the money to put it on there......mark
Cleveland39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
flatford8

Yup, just like that one..^^^^^^.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote