Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #21
Brendan

Default Re: Stuck head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The head puller referred to in posts #3 & 6 is made by Bill Stipe and is available at most of the vendors. I have one and have used it several times very successfully, as have several of our club members.
i used this head puller. i had the same thing with my A. blown head gasket. and could not get the head off. first thing was a chain, wheals off the ground and i jumped on the bumper. i am 210 lb that did not work. i burrowed a bill stipe head puller and broke a stud on the puller.got new studs for the puller, and kept pressure on the head and soaked the studs with Marvels Mistery oil ans asatone. also i used heat, i would worm up the head around the studs, on the side of the head, i got it cheery red then hit the studs with a body hammer.then soak and repeat the possess. keeping pressure with the puller. my saving grace was i would get so mad, and walk away. this took me 3 weeks to get the head off. one Friday night i got about a 1/8 of a turn in the puller, something broke loose. it took me 3 hrs after that to get it off. soak with the asatone cock-tale and use heat and a good puller, and take you time. also i replaced all 14 studs and did not brake one! i also drilled out the holes in the head, there was alot of rust in them. and i used anti seize on the studs. i dont have any leaks and everythimg came out good. just take your time!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote