Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
Vic in E-TN

Question Torsional Damper & Segmented Fan Belt

I have been following a post concerning this Torsional Dampers) and I have a question or two. In a post by SAJ of NZ he has posted 5 pictures and one of them and his comments started me thinking. He shows a picture of a segmented fan belt and comments that he keeps one in the car as a spare.
I have been using this type of belt on shop woodworking equipment for many years. It reduces the vibration significantly on "Craftsman" type equipment but it has not been necessary to use it on recent Delta or Rikon equipment. They are better designed and built. Has anyone used a segmented belt on a Model A engine for significant time and mileage?
I would like to do some research on power transfer belts in general. It appears that the Model A belt is significantly overdesigned. If one uses a cut down fan the power required to operate the fan is reduced by the cube of the ratio of the new diameter to the old diameter. This is one of the "Fan Laws". Automotive belts have a different set of dimensional ratios and angles than power equipment belts.
Comments welcomed.
Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
1930-Pickup

Default Re: Torsional Damper & Segmented Fan Belt

"It appears that the Model A belt is significantly overdesigned."

If you are referring to the Model A belt design in utilizing materials available today, then yes, you are correct. In the context of materials circa 1930, especially rubber, then no, you are not correct.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
blgitn

I'd be interested in what you learn about segmented belts and vibration control. Please keep us posted.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 03:01 AM   #4
SAJ

Hi Vic. SAJ here. I ran a segmented synthetic polymer/fabric belt for several thousand miles in my roadster, before changing to an original style belt. As I recall it made a very slight noise as it rotated, only heard when idling with the bonnet open, perhaps because it was of a section that did not perfectly fit the pulleys. Not harmful or a big deal in any way, but I took it off to be more "original". I also have a roll of leather segmented belting which I have used on industrial fans but not in a car. I carry some of this in my wife's Tudor as a spare because she also has a torsional damper pulley.
I cannot get the genuine belts off these dampers as mentioned(no room between damper and crank handle mount), so cannot easily re-try the segmented ones, but I cannot recall any change in vibration when I switched types to the thick genuine belt. But an easy way to test would be to loosen the generator adjustment and take the belt off the pulleys towards the back of the car for a short trial run and see if any vibes dissappear. Without looking under my bonnet I think this could be done safely as an experiment.
Certainly you raise a good point about the section of the Ford belt relative to modern thinner automotive ones. It looks like a B section belt, when an A section would be more than adequate, more flexible and longer lived. Just my opinion on this last part, since I have not measured it. A cogged B section would be more flexible and run better with less heat build up too I imagine, especially round a smaller alternator pulley.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 11-25-2017 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Spel chequer!
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Cling's in AZ makes a serpentine belt kit, draws less power, lasts longer than a stock belt and looks stock at first glance.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote