Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Russco

Default Oil Pressure question on new 8BA

Fresh built 8BA, standard Melling pump, no oil filter mods. When hot the oil pressure is only about 7PSI at idle and 25-35 when cruising at highway speeds (2500 RPM's) and about 15- 20 or so in town at lower rpms( 1500-2000RPM's). The motor runs great. I've checked the oil for any metalic particles or signs of anything wrong everything seems fine. Should I be worried about this?
I cant find anything wrong. It never had good pressure before the rebuild either and had a Melling HV pump then. The only thing I can think of is where the fuel pump shaft goes, in the past somebody actually has welded a plug in the hole so I cant tell what exactly is done there, but all bearings are new and clearances good. Should I have used the HV pump for a street motor? Thanks in Advance Mike
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Oil Pressure question on new 8BA

This is OK and won't cause any problems. But as I've said before the Mellings pumps are junk. Don't let anyone talk you into running a heaver oil 10/30 is all it needs and you'l have cooler bearings to boot.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Ronnie

Drive it like you stole it!!! "LOL"

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Butch11443

Won't hurt it a bit. Check and see if you have the reducing fitting if your running a stock oil filter.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
Tinker

Ron is thst true with most flatheads? Meaning thicker oil in relation to cooling properties.

Maybe that is a retoricle question as i think i know the anwser.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-29-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
CBoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Drive it like you stole it!!! "LOL"

R
Heck No! I say, drive it like you're the one who's going to have to fix it if something goes wrong!

PS -- My oil pressure readings sound pretty similar to that: 50 at start up, 20ish after warming up, and around 9 or so when idling. Seems to be just fine!
CBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Russco

Thanks Guys what a relief. It runs great (this is a 286 stroker I had a thread on here about) I couldnt be happier with the performance, it pulls really good and smooth power. I was just concerned about the pressure being a bit lower than I had hoped it would be.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
bugsiegel

Mike
I'm certainly no expert in here but I had a similar situation. Fresh rebuild with similar numbers with the original factory sender unit. I installed an aftermarket gauge and the readings were then 55 at start up and a little lower after a some driving. So the sender unit was bad. I replaced the sender unit to the factory gauge and then split the line to run both gauges. They now read the same but the factory gauge will come up about 1 second faster (being electric) than the aftermarket gauge.
Check your sender/gauge.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Russco

Thanks for the input. Its a mechanical gauge, just a generic brand at that, but I have not checked it against another mechanical gauge to see if its acurate.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
ford1

oil pressure was never given for the flathead v/8, all that was stated was #35 at 35 mph, your oil pressure is good, and anyway its not the pressure that saves the engine, its the volume going thru the bearings, #80 of pressure with only a quart of oil circulating is a death sentence for the engine, #30 of pressure moving 5 quarts is what i want
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Karl Wolf

Just a thought... I had a popular, well known vender send me a cam that had .010 undersize journals... With standard size cam bearings. I check stuff pretty well, and have installed plenty of cams so I know how it should feel- But I don't remember how I found this...
Point is, how are your cam bearings?
(Avatar) Hot idle, 59AB, 8BA oil pump (salvaged from a runout engine) a bit over 35 lb., hot running holds at 62-3 lb...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #12
Frank Miller

That is pretty much how mine runs. More pressure equals more heat which defeats the oils purpose of keeping the bearings cool. like the guys said as long as it is flowing and the level is adequate, you're good.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #13
Russco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wolf View Post
Just a thought... I had a popular, well known vender send me a cam that had .010 undersize journals... With standard size cam bearings. I check stuff pretty well, and have installed plenty of cams so I know how it should feel- But I don't remember how I found this...
Point is, how are your cam bearings?
(Avatar) Hot idle, 59AB, 8BA oil pump (salvaged from a runout engine) a bit over 35 lb., hot running holds at 62-3 lb...
Karl
I thought of that too. My cam was ground at Delta and the card didnt have much info just the lash,grind number and opening and closings points to check so I called them they said unless other wise specified they would be standard. So I am assuming thats not the issue and it certainly didnt feel at all loose when I installed it.