Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Driving Miss Betsy

This is sort of an epilog to my "Fords on the Fourth" story (here: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76069 )

As you may recall, Betsy didn't make it home from Mirror Lake but had to be taken to the emergency room because her hip "went out" and she had to be carried out of the Rhode Island Diner in Oakley. After two days in the hospital she was moved to a rehabilitation center and today she felt up to another ride in "Old Henry". It was a state holiday here in Utah (Pioneer day - the day Brigham Young arrived with the first pioneers in 1847) so we picked her up from the rehab center and did a 97 mile road trip up over the pass (elev. 9,323 ft.) behind Mt. Nebo (elev. 11,928). It's one of the many scenic byways within 100 miles of my house. Took us 3 hours and a "good time had by all." Here are some photos. (Betsy goes home on Thursday)

Betsy's on the left in the back. Chihuahua, Pepe, and Wife, AnnaRae, in the front and her mother LaRae on the right in the back.

Passing 9,000 feet.

Looking down at Utah Valley, Utah Lake, and Mt. Timpanogos that I live at the foot of.

Looking up at Mt. Nebo from the pass.

Panoramic View

Last edited by Old Henry; 07-24-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
35 coupe

Default Re: Driving Miss Betsy

I am from pennsylvania, and unfortunitly always have been. I was just reading that utah is in the top ten states to retire to, and I can see why. I just wanted to say your photos are great. Thank You.
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
3quarter32

Great photos! Hope Miss Betsy is doing ok. Looks like a 4th to remember.
Lee
3quarter32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
peewee2you

Old Henry takes the best trips, and his master tells the best stories, makes me laugh everytime and I even get my wife involved and read them too her as she looks behind me at the photo's on the ol computer.......thanks for let me live thru your travels, I sure want to take a trip in my ol beast like that...
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
CBoz

Many thanks for the post! Keeps me inspired to keep driving mine.
CBoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Russ/40

Hmmmmmm, being from Utah, are those all your wives?
Seriously, very nice car.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

great photos....thanks for sharing....and Pepe looks a little disgruntled in the first pic....like "how long is this going to take?"...lol....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #8
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
great photos....thanks for sharing....and Pepe looks a little disgruntled in the first pic....like "how long is this going to take?"...lol....Mike
I'm quite sure those were his exact sentiments. He's not a big fan of road trips. He only prefers them to being left home alone - but only slightly.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
OldDad

A beautiful thing you've done for the ladies! Thanks for sharing the experience and your gorgeous photos with us.

I made it a point to take my mother out in my '40 coupe whenever I could, loading her up from her wheelchair at the home she was in. I'd drive her up the mountain roads around here on which my father loved to drive when they were young. My father (Old Dad) bought the car just before my parents were married, and it had last been in regular service when I was five years old in the mid '60's.

Although the restoration was far from finished, I had one lady at the home stroll by and say, "Now THAT'S a car!" Made my day, and hers too!

Made me think that a great spot for a car show would be in the lot of one of these homes, so that the people who actually drove our cars back then could enjoy them again.

And my apologies if I have offended any of you who drove them then and are STILL driving them now. More power to you!
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #10
kiwitony

Hi, Apart from the great scenery why was Utah voted in the top ten?Is it cheaper houses,lower taxes,nicer people etc.Just a curious kiwi.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
Roadster5040

Thank you for the great pictures
Roadster5040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitony View Post
Hi, Apart from the great scenery why was Utah voted in the top ten?Is it cheaper houses,lower taxes,nicer people etc.Just a curious kiwi.
Here is a nice review of Utah's attaction for retirement: http://www.smartmoney.com/retirement...1333654159339/