Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2018, 05:06 PM   #1
elwood

Default 34 3 Window help

Hey guys, I have this beautiful 3 Window to work on, and Im looking for a little help with a couple things.
First, the gas gauge isn't working, Man tells me it has never worked since he has had it.
He told me its some sort of Hydrostatic gauge, so how can I check and fix it ?
Whats the most common problems with this gauge ?
He tells me it over heats a lot, so Im putting a set of Skip's pumps and a 6 blade fan on it, hoping that will fix it, if not he wants me to put a fan on it, Id hate to put a pusher on it, does anyone know where I could get a 6 volt pull type fan if I need it ?
Thanks guys ..
This is the first completely stock original 34 Ive ever worked on, OMG this thing is beautiful, Jerry told me he had a turn table restoration done about 20 something years ago,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9255.jpg (56.0 KB, 180 views)
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #2

Default Re: 34 3 Window help

Elwood, that's a beautiful car you have! The fuel gauge has a small air line coming from the gas tank sending unit. Check to see if it is there and, if it is, see that it's not crimped, blocked, or damaged. You can take the fuel gauge out from the dash and clean it up. You'll need to buy the red fluid, (available from several suppliers). It's a finnicky thing but I finally got mine working after many hours and a lot of frustration. Do a search on here and you'll find a lot of good advice about the hydrostatic gauge.
As far as the over-heating issues I would try to figure out what is causing the problem before adding fans etc. Could be any number of things but they shouldn't over-heat.
Good luck, Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Lawrie

You need to fix the cooling problems,A 6 blade fan is a band aid, my 33 and 34 have the stock 4 blade fan ,CLEAN radiators CLEAN block, they will run all day in 40C temp days the 33 towing a caravan did a 7000 klm trip a couple of months back towing the caravan No dramas,last year another 7000 k trip in the 33, some days in the hills towing in 2nd gear 44C and no overheating.
What you need to do is ,make sure the block is clean,take the Rad out ,take the tank off and properly clean it. fit t/stats,( get some modern ones tig welded onto a short lenght of stainless tube that is the same diameter as the Inside of the top hoses) push them in to the top hoses. Make sure the pumps are OK,if you are not sure fit repaired or new ones,(both easy to source).
Check for leaking head gaskets and timing set right,both easy to do.
Trust me ,you DONT kneed to add fans or other stuff to make it run cool,
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #4
elwood

Thanks 1934 and Lawrie for the help, I saw the small line on the car 1934, and the owner told me that's what it was for, Ill be checking it for crimps or stoppage , and will look into the red fluid ..
Lawrie, could you please explain to me how I would clean the block good, other than gutting it and rolling it around and poking wire and long blowers in it, Im not sure how to get it clean, and any idea what t/stats would be close to the hose size? and I guess 180's right ?
Thanks ….
Hey Lawrie, I was thinking the timing on this little engine was pre set, non adjustable, like the distributor was keyed right to the end of the cam, with no adjustment .. Not so ?

Last edited by elwood; 12-06-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Some info on the fuel gauge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fuel Gauge.jpg (85.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Gauge 1.jpg (106.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Fuel Gauge 2.jpg (172.4 KB, 10 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
Lawrie

Elwood, the timing IS adjustable, and needs to be set right,
There is a pile of info around about how to set up the Distributor and points,
Quite easy , looks complicated but isn,t.You just need to take the dist out,make sure you slip a piece of cardboard against the radiator fins so as not to damage them, I take the coil off before taking the dist out.
If you cant get hold of the info let me know and I can copy the relivant pages.
Re flushing the block,I would take the two top and bottom hoses off, and get in there with a good hose and see what comes out.
the Radiator is one thing you sure need to get the tanks off and clean out the tubes.
NOT just a flush out.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:50 AM   #7
mercman from oz

These are great looking cars. Hope you get to solve the problems for the owner.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 AM   #8
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Hey guys, I have this beautiful 3 Window to work on, and Im looking for a little help with a couple things.
First, the gas gauge isn't working, Man tells me it has never worked since he has had it.
He told me its some sort of Hydrostatic gauge, so how can I check and fix it ?
Whats the most common problems with this gauge ?
He tells me it over heats a lot, so Im putting a set of Skip's pumps and a 6 blade fan on it, hoping that will fix it, if not he wants me to put a fan on it, Id hate to put a pusher on it, does anyone know where I could get a 6 volt pull type fan if I need it ?
Thanks guys ..
This is the first completely stock original 34 Ive ever worked on, OMG this thing is beautiful, Jerry told me he had a turn table restoration done about 20 something years ago,
Regarding the fuel gauge.You will have to take it out anyway to add fluid.I suggest that it be serviced,meaning cleaning the glass tube and small line from it to the hex it is soldered to on the rear.Here is rear view (left in pic)of a '32 that I just did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 gauges rear 1.jpg (42.2 KB, 16 views)
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #9
elwood

Thank you all for the help. Ill post back asap with what Ive come up with …
Old 12-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
Hey Lawrie, I was thinking the timing on this little engine was pre set, non adjustable, like the distributor was keyed right to the end of the cam, with no adjustment .. Not so ?
Would guess what you are referring to is the distributor has minimal adjustment on the vehicle. The timing is set with the distributor is set off the vehicle.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote