Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Topher5150

Default getting the front spring in

Trying to mock up the front suspension on my 47. I got one side in but the other is a couple of inches shorter. I don't have an engine or anything to heavy is there a way to stretch the spring to get it to fit?
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: getting the front spring in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post
Trying to mock up the front suspension on my 47. I got one side in but the other is a couple of inches shorter. I don't have an engine or anything to heavy is there a way to stretch the spring to get it to fit?
A spring spreader...
Old 04-30-2018, 07:07 PM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher5150 View Post

Use of a spring spreader, or a porta-power to extend spring eyes to fit up.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #4
cas3

you make a spring spreader from a piece of 3/4" threaded rod, and two 16" pieces of one inch pipe. start with a 32" pipe, drill the center with a hole saw, this gives you a cupped end that fits the spring eye. if the spring is apart, the one main leaf can usually be put in by itself, then build the stack in place.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Cool Kat with Hot Car

If the axle assembly is out of the car another method is to disassemble the spring. You can then hook the main leaf to the shackle without the resistance from the other leaves. The spring then be put back together by using a long bolt through the center hole and cinching it down.
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
drolston

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Plan "B" without the hazards of using a spring spreader. You need a small hydraulic floor jack, but even a cheap scissor jack will work fine.
- Jack up each side of the car enough to take some load off of the front tires, and give you a little more working room; use jack stands at about the door hinge line.
- Lift the spring high enough to get it within one of the spring U-bolts, put a clamp on the U-bolt and get the nuts started to hold the spring loosely in place.
- Then lift the other end of the spring and get the U-bolt clamp on, with nuts on loosely
- Center the spring as best you can eyeball it and then start tightening the U-bolt nuts to bring the spring up far enough that it is scraping the cross member.
- Slide the spring a bit left and right until the nut on top of the spring finds the centering hole in the cross member. Then tighten up on the spring a bit more.
- Put your finger on top of the cross member and find the centering hole. Adjust the spring left and right until you have the spring bolt as near centered as you can. Then tighten the U-bolts with the spring centered. This step is not necessary if you have an original type spring bolt whose square head is a good fit for the square hole in the cross member.
- Now put your hydraulic jack under one of the spring eyes and jack it up until you can slip on the rear-most spring shackle. You may have to twist the upper shackle bolts to get the square hole lined up. Put the nuts on to hold the rear-most shackle on.
- Adjust the jack up or down a bit to get the front shackle to go on, then tighten all of the shackle nuts.
- Drop the jack and go to the other side of the spring, and repeat.

I have done it this way many times, most recently last week when I put a Posies reversed eye spring on the front of my '41. The old spring was sagging a bit so the reversed eyes only lowered the front 1/2". Looks fine and rides better
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
Topher5150

Thanks for the help guys. Probably would have made things easier if I put the brackets in right too lol
Topher5150 is offline   Reply With Quote