Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
elwood

Default Can I bench test this ?

Worked on my F1 some today, the gas tank anyway.
So I'm wondering if there's any way to bench test this gauge ?
Also, the tank is reasonably clean, specially after setting for 21 years, I can see very little surface rust in the tank, what can I swish around in it to clean it some before filling it full of gas ?
Iv got a 5 gallon can of good ol kerosene sitting in the corner, would that help or hurt ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 081.jpg (68.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 082.jpg (68.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 084.jpg (70.2 KB, 50 views)
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
Russ/40

Default Re: Can I bench test this ?

Flush with phosphoric acid. Leaves a phosphate coating that inhibits rust after neutralizing and dissolving the surface rust. Also known as metal prep.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Lawson Cox

It can be tested if the gauge is in the car by running a wire from the back of the gauge to the screw in the middle of the sending unit, and another wire hooked to the base of the sending unit then to a ground. Lift the arm up and down and watch the gauge to see if it moves. I would speculate that you could hook up a multimeter to the center screw and the other side to the base of the sending unit, then move the arm up and down to see if you get continuity. Not positive on that though.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
It can be tested if the gage is in the car by running a wire from the back of the gage to the screw in the middle of the sending unit, and another wire hooked to the base of the sending unit then to a ground. Lift the arm up and down and watch the gage to see if it moves. I would speculate that you could hook up a multimeter to the center screw and the other side to the base of the sending unit, then move the arm up and down to see if you get continuity. Not positive on that though.
that will work, you need a ohm meter, you will need some resistance in the sender. if you get 0.0 you have a direct short, it's like touching the leads together, and if you get nothing it's like the leads are not touching. you need some resistance for the gage to work... Brendan

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
TomO

Using an ohm meter to test a King Seeley sending unit is a waste of time. Any reading other than 0 ohms is caused by the contact corrosion.

Lawson gave you the correct procedure. If you have a spare gauge, connect the neg term of a 6 volt battery to the terminal on the gauge that would be on the passenger side of the car when the gauge is in the dash and connect the other terminal to the center terminal of the sending unit. Connect the case of the sending unit to the POS terminal of the battery. Moving the arm toward the sending unit should cause the gauge to read towards the full mark. The gauge will move slower than the arm movement.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Bruce in southern OH

Go to this site on Fordbarn
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...+sending+units

Also type in " gas gauge sending unit " in the search for early V8 forums, will come up with several threads, all the info is there, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
elwood

the wire was hanging down, not connected when i took it apart, so im thinking its not goanna work.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
paul2748

You may have to run an additional wire from the case of the gauge to the positive battery terminal (grounding the gauge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Using an ohm meter to test a King Seeley sending unit is a waste of time. Any reading other than 0 ohms is caused by the contact corrosion.

Lawson gave you the correct procedure. If you have a spare gauge, connect the neg term of a 6 volt battery to the terminal on the gauge that would be on the passenger side of the car when the gauge is in the dash and connect the other terminal to the center terminal of the sending unit. Connect the case of the sending unit to the POS terminal of the battery. Moving the arm toward the sending unit should cause the gauge to read towards the full mark. The gauge will move slower than the arm movement.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
elwood

man that positive ground stuff scares me, haha
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
Brendan

i think using a ohm meter is a wast of time when you don't know how to use one. it is a very valuable tool for trouble shooting all electrical problem.

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
TomO

Brendan, here is why an ohmmeter is not a good test for the King Seeley gauges. As you can see the ohmmeter would only read the resistance of the points and the heating coil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas gauge.jpg (101.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #12
bbrocksr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Brendan, here is why an ohmmeter is not a good test for the King Seeley gauges. As you can see the ohmmeter would only read the resistance of the points and the heating coil.
Are you saying the resistance doesn't change from as the float is raised from the empty position to the full position on the sending unit?
The sending unit is what is pictured on the bench.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
Mr 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
Are you saying the resistance doesn't change from as the float is raised from the empty position to the full position on the sending unit?
The sending unit is what is pictured on the bench.
Bill
YES the resistance does not change for the old Ford Gauges.
They work by pulsating thru Bimetal parts moving.

Check out Tomo's attachment.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #14
Redhorse1947

Concerning your gas tank..."what can I swish around in it to clean it some before filling it full of gas "...............
On my 1949 F1 I cleaned and cleaned but without warning the gas line would stop up and the pickup would stop running. After blowing out the line several times I found a solution. I removed the threaded fitting that screws into the bottom of the tank. About 1/2" to 5/8" of copper tubing (same I.D. as the fitting) was soldered onto the END of the threaded fitting. Now the fuel is drawn out of the tank a little higher and leaves all the particles of rust, etc on the very bottom of the tank.
That was about 15 years ago and the fuel line has never stopped up again. Of course the tank can never be completely emptied but I can deal with that much easier than blowing out the fuel line on the side of the highway.

GOOD LUCK on your pickup.
Redhorse1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
elwood

thanks redhorse, thats a good idea.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
TomO

Before installing the sending unit, examine the interior of the tank. If it is rusty (most likely), remove the tank and have it cleaned at a radiator shop and coat it with an alcohol resistant coating like the one sold by Bill Hirsch.

It is best to coat it within 24hours of being cleaned as it will start rusting immediately. The phosphoric acid flush after cleaning will remove any surface rust and temporarily inhibit new rust formation.

Some radiator shops will clean and coat the tank for you.

If you do not remove the rust and coat the tank, it will continue to rust, clogging your fuel pump and carburetor and eventually liking. The gas with ethanol in it will hasten the rusting process.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
rotorwrench

The standpipe idea works in a pinch but it traps caustic moisture in the bottom of the tank where it will continue to deteriorate the metal. Eventually you will have some pin holes. Cleaning & sealing the tank is the best way to preserve it for a much longer period. Nothing lasts forever no matter how good you take care of it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote