Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
ahshoe

Default Pitman arm Ford number

Looking for the part number for a 1961 full size Ford pitman arm for power steering. Reason I am confused as I have two manual stock pitman arms both ones I took off MS '61 Galaxies. Both are COAA-3590C numbered.Now I purchased a complete '61 NOS POWER steering set up in the box and the pitman arm number is C1AA-3590B. So checking E-Hay Stillwell Antique auto parts (whom I purchased parts from before and are great folks) AND also some other E-Hay vendors show the COAA-3590C as being for a power steering full size '61 Ford. Any help here as NOW I am confused.
ahshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: Pitman arm Ford number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahshoe View Post

Looking for the part number for a 1961 full size Ford pitman arm for power steering. Reason I am confused as I have two manual stock pitman arms both ones I took off MS '61 Galaxies. Both are COAA-3590C numbered.

Now I purchased a complete '61 NOS POWER steering set up in the box and the pitman arm number is C1AA-3590B. So checking E-Hay Stillwell Antique auto parts (whom I purchased parts from before and are great folks) AND also some other E-Hay vendors show the COAA-3590C as being for a power steering full size '61 Ford. Any help here as NOW I am confused.
OK ...

The KIT, is it NOS FORD or a kit assembled from loose parts?

Also take into account the differences between ENGINEERING PART NOS (Casting ID) and FORD SERVICE PN's.

You alo have 1961 production breaks and whether the car used a FORD or SAGINAW box.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
KULTULZ

Post Re: Pitman arm Ford number

- 1961 FORD Previous Post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahVail View Post

Is the ratio (steering wheel movement to front wheel angle) the same for power and manual steering in the 61?
The box ratios are different between M/S and P/S, the P/S being quicker as it had power assist making it easier to turn.

There were also two boxes used (61/ ), the FORD and the SAGINAW. The SAGINAW can be quickly recognized as it used a two-piece steering shaft with coupler (rag joint) as opposed to the FORD design box using a one piece steering shaft and worm.

EDIT - CORRECTION-

One piece steering shaft w recirculating ball design ...

Above From Previous Thread -

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264381

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
ahshoe

Default Re: Pitman arm Ford number

I know about the 2 boxes...it is the pitman arm number I want to verify.I bought the nos parts as one kit less the steering box of course
Old 06-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
KULTULZ

Quote:

I know about the 2 boxes...it is the pitman arm number I want to verify.I bought the nos parts as one kit less the steering box of course
OK. There were five different pitman arms issued for the 1961, 2 M/S and 3 P/S. The correct choice is dependent upon box style and possibly the production date of the vehicle.

In addition, the center link, idler arm and tie rods were also different between a M/S and P/S car.

Unless you removed the entire system from a donor, you have to know which parts will work with which system.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #6
ahshoe

Default Re: Pitman arm Ford number

So are both the numbers listed in my post Power Steering pittman arms depending on which box I have...I have the Sag. box so can anyone tell me which is correct
Old 06-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Red face Re: Pitman arm Ford number

Quote:

So are both the numbers listed in my post Power Steering pittman arms depending on which box I have...I have the Sag. box so can anyone tell me which is correct
I know I am running you ragged here-

The numbers you see on the arms are ENGINEERING (CASTING ID in this case) PART NOS. They are not usually defined in a SERVICE PARTS CATALOG. They are crossed to SERVICE PN's by use of a MASTER CROSS-REFERENCE CATALOG.

You say you bought a kit. As long as all the parts are from the same donor vehicle and the box choice is correct, it should retro-fit.

MS and PS vehicles (1961) use completely different linkage parts and the PS car gets even more complicated by box type and VEHICLE PRODUCTION DATE.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MCRL - MEL JUL 59 _1.jpg (50.9 KB, 3 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Hopefully, the below will explain the differences in the FORD P&A NUMBERING SYSTEM -

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Part Numbers Info _2 - Eng - Cast - SVC PN.jpg (61.4 KB, 2 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -