Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2019, 05:56 PM   #61
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite-owl View Post
Hi there, Owls are just as vigelent as Hawks are. I call myself Nite-owl because, to keep up with USA, I burn the midnight oil. Mel
Hey Mel,
Just a short note, as it's time for meds and to bed. It has been a GREAT day. Finished Lorrie's Handle Caper. And now it's onward through the fog.

Hope YOU and Thirsty Lady are doing well.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #62
JCAllison

Hey All,
Saturday, June 22, 2019, Morning Update:

Gentlemen... Position is EVERYTHING!

Went out to the Car Port with a SHORT 1/2" Box End Wrench, and a can of RAID Flying Insect Killer. Sprayed around and under Ms. American whose Front End is UP on the Ramps. Opened the Hood to let the light into the Engine Bay.

Got down onto the ground as usual, and worked my way head-first UNDER the old Gal's Front End. Reached past the BACK of the Cast Iron Shorty Headers, and felt the FRONT of the Starter. Continued to feel the Starter till the Stud to which the Cable from the Solenoid is fastened was located. THAT Stud is leaning about 45 degrees to Starboard. Tried to access it with the SHORT 1/2" Box End Wrench, but there was NO WAY to do it. DRATS!

Laid there for a bit reconnoitering the situation, and trying to figure out WHY, when I could FEEL the Nut, that I couldn't get the Wrench into position to fit ON TO the Nut. In doing this analysis, I came to realize that it wasn't the Nut's fault. And it wasn't the Wrench's fault. And it wasn't the fault of my Fingers. The fault laid at MY WRIST!! While my Hand, and Fingers bent the right way, MY WRIST DIDN'T!! If only my WRIST would bend the OTHER WAY, reaching the Nut with the Wrench could be accomplished.

Alas, WE are just not built THAT way... BUT, then the thought occurred to me that if I would get under the old Gal's Front End FEET FIRST, that my Right Hand could feel the old Gal's Starter, and MY WRIST would BEND THE OTHER WAY!!

Well, instead of getting out from under Ms. American, it was with some amount of effort that I swung my head to the Starboard, and drew my Legs past the Left Front Ramp, then stretched out with my Feet pointing back towards the Differential. Reached up with the Wrench in my Right Hand, and as SLICK as could be, the Wrench went right onto the NUT.

Was able to easily TIGHTEN it about a quarter turn!

Then re-positioned the Wrench, and got about another 1/16th of an inch of rotation before the Nut wouldn't go any further.

Had intended to take the Key Ring with the Ignition Key on it, but one cannot think of EVERYTHING.

So NOW the next thing to do was to get myself out from under Ms. American's Front End. Grasped the Sway Bar with both Hands and pulled my Body forward. The next place to grab was the Top of the Front Bumper.

Then by scooting forward far enough was able to get my Legs past the Left Front Ramp. Was then lying on my back in front of Ms. American. It was but a matter of rolling over, and getting into a kneeling posture. Then reaching up to the front of Engine Bay, was able to pull myself into a squat position. Then using both hands on the Top Front Cross Member was able to stand up.

That may not sound like much, but at this point in my life, it's a semi-major maneuver.

Am betting that the tightening of that NUT is going to make all the difference in the world as far as having Ms. American Start-Up without all the former hesitation.

Anyway, will be cleaning up the Cat's Mess in the Kitchen, and then will take the Keys out and see if what was done has improved the situation. Will keep you all updated if, when, and as progress occurs.

Take care everyone, and remember: POSITION IS EVERYTHING!!!

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 06-22-2019, 08:13 AM   #63
40cpe

I am of the opinion that all the ups and downs, stretching, straining, and contortions involved in keeping our old cars helps keep us flexible. Where would we be without them?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #64
Coosawjack

BRAVO JC!!

I felt every move, scoot and contortion you went through............GOOD WORK and glad you returned to upright with relatively little effort!!

Have a good day my friend!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:52 AM   #65
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
I am of the opinion that all the ups and downs, stretching, straining, and contortions involved in keeping our old cars helps keep us flexible.
Hey Mr. 40C,
Couldn't fail to disagree with you less! And you know what else? It makes resting so much easier.

Was in a catastrophic Murdercycle crash on April 27, 1987, which broke the Femoral Head off of the Left Femur, and crushed my Right Foot. I now have a Left Leg that is 2" shorter than my Right Leg, walk with a terrible limp, even with the Cane. But, when I go to the Grocery Store, I refuse to use the little Scooters to shop, because as soon as I start doing stuff like that, I won't be able to walk at all.

A while back, the Primary Care Physician at the local Clinic arranged to have a Physical Therapist visit me twice a week. That lasted a week and a half. What the PT was having me do was like sit in a chair, and raise my hands over my head, rock my feet back and forth, like heel&toe. He was treating me as if I was too old to do anything, but when he found out that I work on the Cars, and do the housework, and do exercises like push ups, and planks, he told the PCP that what he was having me do was useless. That maybe in another ten years, it might help, but even with the Murdercycle injuries, I was in about the same shape as a healthy 60 year old.

Still, there IS the need to be careful. As Coosawjack has told me many times: "Gravity is NOT your friend!" Got to be careful to not fall, trip, or stumble. So in addition to working "smarter", one has to work "more carefully". It takes slowing down, not rushing anything, thinking things out, and as Dirty Harry said: "A man has got to know his limitations."

Quote:
Where would we be without them?
We'd just be feckless old farts! There's nothing worse than being feckless!

So at this time, everything is caught up. Am going to go out and see if what was done this morning has helped at all. If it has, then GREAT! If it hasn't, there is sitting here on the Shelf a BRAND NEW Starter, but I'm of the opinion that installing it is just a bridge too far.

May have to take it to Wesley Smith at Smith Auto Electric and have HIM install it along with the NEW Solenoid to Starter Cable. Don't know how much it would cost, but Wesley has always been very fair with me, and he particularly LIKES Ms. American. There aren't many mechanics around here that I'd trust Ms. American to, but Wesley isn't one of them.

Anyway, it shouldn't be long before we know if Ms. American is going to respond to my intimacies with her this morning. We'll see. Will let you know how it goes.

KOKO (Keep On Keeping ON)

JC
Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #66
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
BRAVO JC!! I felt every move, scoot and contortion you went through............GOOD WORK and glad you returned to upright with relatively little effort!!
Hey Jack,
Me too!
Quote:
Have a good day my friend!!
Well, just got in from going out to start Ms. American. Have to say it has already been a GREAT day.

Keyed the Starter... ABSOLUTELY NO HESITATION! The 3.14 cranked STRONG, and STARTED RIGHT UP!

Put her in reverse, and gave her a little Clutch, and she backed down off the Ramps. Had to hit the Brakes! And while doing that the Engine stopped.

Re-Keyed the Starter, and again ABSOLUTELY NO HESITATION! The 3.14 cranked STRONG, and STARTED RIGHT UP!

The old Gal is BACK! Those two starts were the ABSOLUTE BEST that she has EVER done since coming to live with me on June 6, 1986! Am so proud of her! This has been a long time coming.

Am going to have something to eat, take a bit of a break, and then get on with the day.

It'll be out to see how the NEW SawZall is going to do. Checked the place that needs to be cut. This SHOULD be a walk in the park, and a piece of cake!

Also, WONDER OF WONDERS, it is overcast, relatively cool, and though it IS a bit humid, there are some zephyrs wafting about which makes it PERFECT weather for doing what needs be done.

Will let you know how it goes.

KOKO

JC
Old 06-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #67
Coosawjack

GREAT news JC........KOKO yourself!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote