Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2019, 06:36 AM   #41
34Pietenpol

Default Re: Mail truck question

Here's an update on my newly purchased 1931 Mail Truck: It is still in storage in NY while I await better driving weather. Also, I have waited 6 weeks for VA DMV to process my request for a VA Title. This was complicated by the fact that NY doesn't issue titles for vehicles older than about 1972. Still, 6 weeks seems a ridiculous processing period - and I still do not have the title. The less than helpful person answering the phone refuses to give me even a hint of when I can expect the title. Says it is DMV policy. Once I have title in hand I can get the registration and plates and we're off for a driving adventure. I have a pre-departure checklist to clear up before hitting the road, about a day's work changing tires, fluids and checking things over. At 35-40 mph I am allowing 3-4 days for the backroads journey south, camping along the way. Since the route goes near Bellefonte, and Mifflinburg, PA we will be stopping for photo ops. I'd like to stop at York as well but it's too far off the path. Perhaps another time/trip. Any guesses here on why the two stops? I promise to post the good and the bad from this trip on a new thread in this Forum, whether we make it under power or under tow.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #42
ronn

yes it does take dmv that long. I bought a Pierce from an estate in NY and the title took 2 1/2 months to receive.

Personally I would have just insured the truck and ran it with a set of plates from another A I own. But that is me.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #43
30 Closed Cab PU

Perhaps 1st drive a few miles/short hops. Would not want to have issues that far from home.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #44
77Birdman

Good Luck, sounds like an ambitious journey. Its a shame you wont make it as far east as York, that is close enough for me to stop and say hi!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:14 AM   #45
34Pietenpol

Thanks all. As for short test runs, the seller and his assistant have driven her around town, in parades and just for fun over the last couple of years, making adjustments as they needed to. So, I think a small percentage of the risk has been evaluated. Part of the adventure for me is this greater unknown. Once home, however it finally arrives, she'll get some cosmetic work to reflect my preference for US Air Mail livery, some undercoating to protect the wood bottom and any mechanical issues we discover on the road home. I realize that this is not a totally accurate Mail Truck. It will be a driver that I can enjoy, one passenger at a time, with my kids and grandkids. And the guys hanging around our local airport as well. We're always looking for some fun trouble to get into.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #46
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Pietenpol View Post
Thanks all. As for short test runs, the seller and his assistant have driven her around town, in parades and just for fun over the last couple of years, making adjustments as they needed to. So, I think a small percentage of the risk has been evaluated. Part of the adventure for me is this greater unknown. Once home, however it finally arrives, she'll get some cosmetic work to reflect my preference for US Air Mail livery, some undercoating to protect the wood bottom and any mechanical issues we discover on the road home. I realize that this is not a totally accurate Mail Truck. It will be a driver that I can enjoy, one passenger at a time, with my kids and grandkids. And the guys hanging around our local airport as well. We're always looking for some fun trouble to get into.
Good luck, keep us posted, this is really interesting. For sure with a truck like that, plenty of room for spares/tools/luggage/whatever you need.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #47
34Pietenpol

Title Blues resolved, newly registered and insured, transport to upper NY State locale laid on.... and it will be snowing there this weekend. Retrieval postponed for 2 weeks. Perhaps Spring will join us in April. I got absolutely no assistance over an 8 week time period from VA DMV HQ trying to title and register this truck. The 90+ year old seller's daughter worked miracles with NY DMV to sort the registration mess out on the NY end. From that point, the paperwork sailed thru my local and very responsive DMV office. Stand by for trip photos and details!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #48
katy

Quote:
Title Blues resolved, newly registered and insured
Congratulations on getting it done, especially without it dragging out for months on end.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #49
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
If it sleeps more then four...its real
Also applies to any government vehicle

Witty.

Joe K