Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #21
Railcarmover
BANNED

Default Re: Float a motor results

Clutch chatter isn't caused by engine mounts,it can be isolated or transfered by the mounts however.You cant fix a problem without fixing the root cause,in the a engine,some vibration is inherent. Clearly Ford intended the stock mount to act as a crossmember as well,providing stability to the flexible frame.FAM's do provide crossmember like stability,not as much as the stock lash up but both are flexible connections. The FAM design is standard procedure when the frame bears the load of suspension,in the model A the driveline bears most of the suspension load,Ford ket the frame flexible to help insure 4 wheel contact with the road with a traverse spring suspension. My opinion? run the FAM's,the gains from reduced vibration offset any issue with frame stability.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #22
john in illinois

I use FM rears and stock front mount on my Tudor. I have driven 25,000 miles. I have replacedrubber pads as needed. Also as mentioned you do not tighten the bolts.
I stop tightening when I feel resistance. You can experiment for what works.

John
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #23
steve s

Russ,
I believe that the Model A TImes compared mounts several years ago and decided that originals with new rubber was best. I've been using FAMs for 20 years with no problems, and REALLY glad everuytime I'v ehad to change the motor!

Mike,
What do you make of the 32 style front mount? On mine, that mounting bolt has no electrical continuity thru the bisquit, unlike more recent ones that are sold. DOes this in anyway compensate for missing rear bracket (I've got F150 OD trans).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg radiator replacement 003.jpg (70.8 KB, 88 views)
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #24
Russ/40

My thinking is that Ford went with the hard fixed mounts to accommodate the challenges of poor roads, big potholes, and rocky surfaces, etc. The roads of yesteryear with the FAM's would be a disaster. I am of the opinion, a car set up well with good balanced components would be even better with FAMs. At cruising speed, I do not experience a lot of vibration in my car. Most that I do feel is while going through the gears. Clutch chatter is light in first only. I'm trying to get the ride as pleasant as possible in my truck. So, if the chatter is increased buy a motor that floats, I dont want to go there. The FOM's are not very expensive, so maybe I'll get a set and experiment.

Mike, your posts are very interesting, enlightening, and a bit too much for my feeble brain. I do get most of it though, thanks

Last edited by Russ/40; 03-03-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #25
Railcarmover
BANNED

Clutch chatter has a bunch of possible causes,from misadjusted pressure plate levers to a misaligned flywheel housing,not to mention oil,grease or even a glazed clutch facing..motor mounts can dampen the 'shiver' but wont cure it.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #26
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

I installed the FOM system and it eliminated the vibration at the steering wheel and rear view mirror.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:39 AM   #27
Tom Endy

Thirty years ago when I joined the Model A Kingdom float-a-motor mounts were all the rage. I installed them on a number of Model A's I had in the early years. I didn't notice any increased performance. As the years went by I read articles and spoke with people who knew a lot about Model A's. I am convinced that the design of the original solid mounts has a lot to do with frame strength at the rear of the engine and may aid in preventing frame sag in this area. There is also a theory that they provide superior electrical grounding.

The float-a-motors do make it easier to change an engine, with the originals you need a frame spreader.

I have solid mounts in my Victoria and it runs great. I think it important that the solids be in good condition. Many have cracks in the vertical corners. it is also important that the rubber parts be in good condition. Bratton's sells all the rubber parts and new bolts if needed.

I pick up the originals at swap meets for usually about $1. each and pass them on to friends who want to convert back. They can be weld repaired. With bead blasting and paint they look like new.

The question to which is better to use can't be answered. The subject is ingrained in Model A folklore and sits right next to the question, which oil is best for a Model A.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:52 AM   #28
Dino's A

It made a huge difference in vibration reduction. Coupled with installing dyna mat sound deadening my Model A is quiet and much more drivable.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:08 PM   #29
Jim Brierley

Russ, I don't think any of the diaphragm clutches have the early Ford pattern. The one I used was for a Mustang and it was slightly different and has 3 dowel pins. I've heard that Clutch Masters now stocks a complete diaphragm set-up that uses Ford pickup stuff.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #30
BILL WILLIAMSON

Here's what I KNOW: Installed FAMs without the "bumper" block, installed aftermarket
FAMs in the front of engine. (similar to Model B mounts)
Minerva was like a "new" car & hummed a NEW TUNE!
Bill Happy