Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
bergie

Default ford transmission instead of S10 T5

I need some help with figuring out if I can use a Ford toploader 4-speed apparently referred to as an "SROD". I'm told by the seller that this is a transmission with a Ford bolt pattern in which the 4th gear is overdrive. It is all aluminum and supposedly stouter than the S10 T5's I've been unsuccessfully searching for locally. I currently have the stock 3-speed bolted to a late Mercury V8 in a '50 f1. I'm worried about adapter plate availability and all the discussions I've read in T5 threads about various input shaft splines, etc. Is this transmission a good choice to get better highway driveability? Any advice would be appreciated.
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Thaplumbr

Default Re: ford transmission instead of S10 T5

Look up the thread T5 tranny's and flatheads,some good info there!
Thaplumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I need some help with figuring out if I can use a Ford toploader 4-speed apparently referred to as an "SROD". I'm told by the seller that this is a transmission with a Ford bolt pattern in which the 4th gear is overdrive. It is all aluminum and supposedly stouter than the S10 T5's I've been unsuccessfully searching for locally. I currently have the stock 3-speed bolted to a late Mercury V8 in a '50 f1. I'm worried about adapter plate availability and all the discussions I've read in T5 threads about various input shaft splines, etc. Is this transmission a good choice to get better highway driveability? Any advice would be appreciated.
I have an RTS (84-87 F150) trans behind a '47 engine. It works great, I see no need for the 5 speed. Only thing needed is a clutch plate with the centre offset toward the trans to accommodate the shorter input shaft, and the centre needs the splines to match the shaft. Mine was custom built by a clutch shop, but I have read on the interweb that an Astro plate will work. As with all interweb statements, that may or may not be correct.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
tiquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I have an RTS (84-87 F150) trans behind a '47 engine. It works great, I see no need for the 5 speed. Only thing needed is a clutch plate with the centre offset toward the trans to accommodate the shorter input shaft, and the centre needs the splines to match the shaft. Mine was custom built by a clutch shop, but I have read on the interweb that an Astro plate will work. As with all interweb statements, that may or may not be correct.
true for the S10
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Ol' Ron

I have one of these transmissions in my truck behind a 51 Merc. I used a 49-51 steel bellhousing and welded ears on it for the bolt pattern. You'll have to have the center bored out some to locate the trans. Prettu simple when you think about it. It uses the stock throw out arm and bearing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3207_resized.jpg (55.0 KB, 119 views)
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
flatjack9

My trans came with 2 bolt patterns, the narrow and wide. 3 of the 4 holes with the narrow pattern line up directly. Need to add a mount for the top left bolt.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 AM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I have one of these transmissions in my truck behind a 51 Merc. I used a 49-51 steel bellhousing and welded ears on it for the bolt pattern. You'll have to have the center bored out some to locate the trans. Prettu simple when you think about it. It uses the stock throw out arm and bearing.
Ron, are you referring to the '84-'87 transmission or something else? I have a couple of extra '49-'51 bellhousings, and like the idea of being able to use the stock clutch linkage.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
bergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Ok, I got the build tag #'s from the transmission and took some measurements. When I checked the online ID sites the number wasn't there so now I'm thinking foreign?, Jeep?. The number is RUG FD. The tag also has HC26 and 2/69 stamped on the tag. The bolt pattern is the eight bolt post '64 setup as shown in the picture of Ol' Ron's reply. I would appreciate any enlightenment you can provide. Thanks, Bergie.
bergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
barnfind

This link details the differences between the Ford RUG and RTS transmissions.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/tech-...-transmission/

Graehm in NZ sells an alumimum bellhousing similar to the T5 bellhousing and
there are some posting in the Model forums on adapting the RTS.

This Wilcap article also has good info:
http://www.wilcap.com/flathead.html
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Ol' Ron

My trans came from an 94 6cyl F150, so I'm told. I think the T-170 had been around from the 60's in many differed configurations. I like the way it shifts and the 36% OD works fine behind the 280 stock engine.

Last edited by Ol' Ron; 12-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #11
5851a

I used to drive a Fairmont with one of those transmissions. Ford used them in the Mustangs and Capri also with the 302 and 200 six until the 5 speeds came out. Never had any problems with mine. The shifter is quite aways back on the tailshaft, same as a t5 in a Mustang.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #12
Mike51Merc

I'd use it. Heard a lot of good things about them and it makes for a great alternative to hunting down a Borg-Warner OD tranny.

My friend has one stock behind a 300 six in an F-150, so it can handle a good amount of torque.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote