Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default Coronavirus vs "A" Drive

I'll be honest, slightly concerned, worried, and like most upset at the world events. Took the A for ride and I am able to see the Atlantic Ocean. Stopped, walked, breathed and thought and prayed. Came home. Relaxed at least 80%. Good old fashioned advice.
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
old31

Default Re: Coronavirus vs "A" Drive

I am also concerned. But more than slightly.

Sounds like what you did was good for the head and soul.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 11:08 PM   #3
Mike the Grump

Left the house and went to the market a bit ago. It's weird out there. Been a couple three weeks. Feel like I should shower and burn my clothes. Do I need to quarantine the new food away from the old food?
Mike the Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
I'll be honest, slightly concerned, worried, and like most upset at the world events. Took the A for ride and I am able to see the Atlantic Ocean. Stopped, walked, breathed and thought and prayed. Came home. Relaxed at least 80%. Good old fashioned advice.
Salt water, sea air, sand and warm sunshine cures most everything.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:15 AM   #5
ryanheacox

I think that's about the best thing you can do at a time like this. Stay safe out there everybody.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #6
dean from bozeman

It's a good time to work on and enjoy your Model A.

Remember, 'Act as if you might be carrying the virus'. It'll help make you and those you love safer.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
DBrer

The Model A is definitely a vector from all of this for me.
DBrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

How many people have died this year from the flu?? And no one cares, hasn't been mentioned anywhere. The people that have passed were going to anyway. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
old31

"The people that have passed were going to anyway"

HUH, WHAT, SAY WHAT!
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
jhowes

I expect to pass anytime now but I wanted to finish the interior and paint my A first. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:26 AM   #11
katy

Stay away from Corona beer.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 PM   #12
JayJay

Well, here in the SF Bay Area we're under a "shelter in place" order from the county health departments. Work from home is OK, only stores open are "essential" (e.g., grocery, pharmacy, restaurants for take-away only, etc.) Folks who can't work from home are hurting. People are out walking and jogging, but very little driving. And I suspect that driving a Model A might be sheriff bait since the only driving is supposed to be for "essential" activities. So I've taken this opportunity to catch up on a bit of delayed work, but put off driving about until the SIP order expires. Which will be April 7 unless it gets extended.

The virus is real, folks. It's only a matter of time until what we, Seattle and upstate New York are experiencing gets to you. And the only way we can slow down the spread is by keeping away from each other, and the SIP order is designed to do just that. Granted, a solo drive in your A isn't doing much to spread the virus, but I''d rather not have to explain to that friendly gendarme why I'm doing so.

Keep healthy.

JayJay
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:39 PM   #13
al's28/33

JayJay, I am just down the road from you. What an eeeeerie feeling, no traffic on the 101. It's only been 4 days and my children are bouncing off the walls. I have an 8 and 10 year old. Newson tonight is mandating the entire State now stay home. No end date posted yet. I have relatives in Italy and France and they are scared for their lives. This is real life folks, the best thing to do is isolate and wash your hands!!!!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #14
holdover

Yes people do die from the flu every year, but at the rate about 30-to 40 times less that of the Coronavirus. It is turning into a wildfire with cases going up more each day. Today in the USA it went up 3,654 from 11AM to 5PM, from 14437 to 18121. On 3-10-20 we had 959 total cases at 7PM, 10 days later we have 18121. Being in the at risk population I am concerned. The best thing we can do is avoid contact with other people, hugs and handshakes are out. Remember every public doorknob could be a source of infection. If you are out and about and stop somewhere and touch anything like a gas nozzle to fill up, do not put your hands next to your mouth or eat anything with your hands before you wash and disinfect them. Nitrile or vinyl gloves will help, but know how to remove them, before you touch the car door knob or steering wheel. If you are over 70 it could be deadly, especially if you have other medical conditions. Be Safe I enjoy reading all of your posts and want to be able to keep doing so.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #15
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
How many people have died this year from the flu?? And no one cares, hasn't been mentioned anywhere. The people that have passed were going to anyway. JMO
Paul in CT
Wow! That's pretty harsh.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Beach in Florida today...

Beach here in Redondo Beach, CA.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #17
Jeff P. / MN

The following words were written by Ryan Cochrane, owner of this and all the Ford Barn websites. Although written for the Jalopy Journal crowd, substitute “Model A” for Hot Rods and you will see it can apply.

“ I came into this week thinking the rest of the world was going to be forced to live like me for a few days and just stay home. As things have progressed and the reality of Covid-19 has set in, it’s starting to look a lot more like people are gonna be grounded for a month or so… if we are lucky. More likely, this thing will leave us isolated for a few months or more.
Last night at the dinner table, Tardel and I were thinking… Man, wouldn’t this be the perfect time for a good old fashion reliability run? Gas is cheap, there’s no traffic, and technically you wouldn’t be breaking any CDC guidelines if you didn’t feature any social stops. I mean, I don’t think it would be socially irresponsible – would it? This isn’t rhetorical – I am honestly curious.
This literally could be a once in a lifetime opportunity to do a traditional hot rod reliability run through downtown Austin, Manhattan, Chicago, LA, Houston, etc… The visuals would be nothing short of spectacular. I dunno man… We could be on to something.
Regardless, it looks like we are all down and out for a pretty good spell and I thought it might be cool to have a group brainstorm session of sorts. What do you plan on doing with your hot rod/custom life for the next few months? How are you gonna enjoy this thing of ours while avoiding that other thing? What could we do together without being together?
With isolation comes opportunity… Opportunity that we are likely never to see again in our lifetime (if we are lucky). Why not make an effort to make some lemonade?”
1948 Chrysler New Yorker
Jeff P. / MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:32 PM   #18
father-son

We took Annabelle out for a quick stretch, it was wonderful to just step back from all the media and enjoy the good old times when life was simpler.
father-son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #19
ronn

Paul in CT

Im with you Paul. 400 deaths from corona
80000 from the flu last year- not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

where was all of the hysteria from the flu??????????????
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:48 AM   #20
ronn

ps Jay jay, you mention upstate NY? why? the deaths are in NYC

so much MIS information! A lady yesterday told me there are over 2000 deaths in the US from this. not even close to true and she is a college professor.

would be nice if the truth was reported, rather then hysteria.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote