Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
fltowndon32571

Default stolen parts

hey guys well i just got my parts shed cleaned out by two scrappers. they stole 5-40s trannys 3 sets heads intakes etc for my flatheads. need appox. replacement cost for ins. company any help would be appeciated. donny
fltowndon32571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: stolen parts

Wow1 That's terrible.
I hope you have some pictures of the items for the insurance company.
I can imagine what would have happened if you pulled into your yard as they were in the process of stealing your stuff.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
dumb person

Cost to have new ones made approx' 10 million dollars. Hope the thieves die in an amusing & fitting manner.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
richard crow

go to the place that buys scrap near where you live & see if it,s there
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #5
krackerjack1951

my son ins co refused to insure car parts new or used after a fire in an out bldg? im not sure thef of car parts would be covered either?? any one have that negative experience??
krackerjack1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
jimTN

I would cover all the scrap yards and large flea markets, report theft to all local police agencies. I had a break in several years ago and ins did cover the loss, of course I did not go for new cost but did lose several thousand dollars worth of parts.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
KiWinUS

I had about $18,000 worth of 41 merc parts , some NOS , an engine & trans that were so pretty & original they should have been in a museum , a fresh built complete BB Chev. Ins would not pay as they were in the garage of my rental house . They told me because it wasnt my primary residence only buildings were covered , not contents. The theifs were also scrappers , they were stealing the heat pump until one of them broke into the garage & then they just left the heat pump laying on its side. That was a year ago last week. No one new I had that stuf & only my wife & my Dad in NZ had been in there in the last 10 years .
Good Luck in finding you stuff !!! I had no luck.
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
46ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by fltowndon32571 View Post
5-40s trannys 3 sets heads intakes etc for my flatheads. need appox. replacement cost for ins. company any help would be appeciated. donny
Might be less than your deductible. Not sure I would claim it (they're just looking for an excuse to raise rates).
46ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Mart

Depends on what the parts were - if the heads and intakes were just stock run of the mill cast iron parts then not worth very much. If rare aluminium speed parts then they could be worth a fortune.

If the trannys wer just unchecked take-outs for rebuild then maybe 50-$100 a piece. If rebuilt and ready to go then ten times as much.

Come on, we're not mind readers, give us something to go on.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
jim1932

No good after the theft, but for the rest of us, get acces to a digital viseo camera and just walk around your shop and shoot video then laod it on a cd and store it away. I did it in my house too. easier than trying to take photos.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
Seth Swoboda

Dad and I had some parts stolen recently that were stored at his business. The two guys were coming at night and stealing metal from around the outside of the business, some were early ford parts. They kept coming back almost nightly for a week. One evening we put up some of those deer cameras for surveillance. That night they came back and did a burglary job on the business, stealing tools and merchandise. I had them coming in on the cameras. The police questioned the ring leader and he eventually came to a full confession and gave up his accomplice.

The state's attorney filed felony burglary charges against the man who is 18 and his accomplice who is 16 will go to juvenile detention (he was already on probation). Needless to say we got an arrest and he is in jail, doing community service awaiting sentencing.

We recovered some tools and merchandise but didn't get the old ford parts back. The good thing is we ended their crime spree and the case is closed, as they say "bookem' Dano!"
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM   #12
fltowndon32571

there were two guys that stole the parts neighbors. got one on film at junk yard with pictures of my parts. long gone now trying to get the second guy with more than a acomplice to the theft before they arrest them. my insurance will cover but will probably cancel me next year if i make a claim do take pictures i didnt and dont know what ins co will want police report says 6500.00 we will see donny
fltowndon32571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Yeti

Thats got to suck.

FWIW over here my insurer covers me for 10k of "Stuff" (parts memorabiliia etc) as a standard part of the permium other items can be listed above this but as a rule of thumb its 10K, thank god todate I havent had need to call on it
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #14
dumb person

Meth' addicts will destroy western civilization. Opps, did i say will? They already have.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote