Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #1
31Abone

Default Who sells frame bolts that look like rivets

got a frame to put together,thinking of using heavy bolts that look like frame rivets...where to buy ?? saw them somewhere but lost info..sc
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:48 AM   #2
frnkeore

Default Re: Who sells frame bolts that look like rivets

You could use carriage bolts and machine or grind the square, under the head, to fit the hole.

Frank
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #3
tubman

I use "button-head" cap-screws and fill the recess in the head with bondo, sand them down, and then paint them. All of this after assembly (you need something to hold the bolt while you tighten it). I think all carriage bolts are grade 2 (or even less) and not very strong. I replaced the front cross member in my '36 Ford this way and it looked good and held strong over the ten years I owned the car.

You can find suppliers with Google. I would imagine McMaster-Carr or Fastenal would be sources.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buttonhead.jpg (1.8 KB, 543 views)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
oldandtired

On one of my vehicles I used the same hardware that tubman recommends. There was no body mounted on the frame when I did it, so I didn't fill the holes until after installation and then painted the frame. The ones I have are smooth on top with no numbers or letters like the ones in tubman's picture. I used locknuts on the ones I installed. Seems like when I replaced the battery holder on a 35, the battery piece came with that type of bolt in lieu of rivets. The Optima battery holder top piece on my car trailer has the same kind of hardware.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
tubman

Just to be clear, the "button-heads" I used had no markings on them. The picture was what I found on short notice on the Internet. When I assembled mine, I used lock-washers and red "Loc-Tite" to make sure everything stayed together.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Ziggster

I would use carriage bolts and make the hole square using a file. I've done this many times, but not on anything as thick as a frame rail. Would be a pain, but also the most secure. Grade 8 carriage bolts available here...

https://www.boltdepot.com/Carriage_b...in_finish.aspx
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Your bolt shanks need to fit the holes pretty tightly or they will work at some point. Rivets expand in the holes making for a very tight fit up. That's hard to do with bolts. High tensile strength bolts as mentioned are best but you may have to put a wrench on them every now and then. I wouldn't fill the recess unless you just don't want to see it. You need to be able to check them now and then.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
Kube

I am attempting to understand why anyone would go to any length to install a bolt "that looks like a rivet". Can someone explain this please.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
Russ/40

A somewhat imperfect half-hearted attempt at originality. I've been guilty of that.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
A somewhat imperfect half-hearted attempt at originality. I've been guilty of that.
Okay, I sorta understand I guess.
Still, for what? If you know it isn't correct and my gosh I would any judge who is not blind would know... why not just install a bolt and nut?
Old 09-28-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Okay, I sorta understand I guess.
Still, for what? If you know it isn't correct and my gosh I would any judge who is not blind would know... why not just install a bolt and nut?

These "fake rivets" appease the "Saturday Nite" judges (the ones that never get the back side of their T-shirts dirty) at the local car shows. Hell, I've done it too, way back when I was more-dumber than now. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:34 PM   #12
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I understand this completely. Shortly after I bought my '36, I found someone had crudely tried to repair a large crack in the front cross member, and only made things worse. I purchased a new cross member from Precision Coachworks. It was a nice piece, and came with the previously mentioned "button-head" bolts. The car was in very good shape other than the front cross member, so I had to perform the repair in place. Re-riveting it in my situation was not an option. I cut the old rivets out and installed the new cross member as mentioned previously. I was very happy with the results, and I will guarantee that not one person in 100,000 could detect the difference. If I had used plain ol' bolts, that would not be the case.

I have never had a car judged, and probably never will. I like to drive them rather than trying to impress people. I build my cars for myself, not other people. In the final analysis, we all try to do the best we can, and I believe my repair was far superior to just throwing in a few hex-head bolts.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #13
26 lakes

Why not hot rivet the frame.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
31Abone

Hot rivets are kind of hard to do..have to find all the right tools ,the right rivets etc.. ? and someone with experiance at this and using a torch proper..thats why the idea of using bolts is attractive ..
31Abone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:34 PM   #15
26 lakes

I have helped on several frames that been riveted. You do need the proper tools. It is very easy. The nice part is when it cools down. The rivets shrink. Talk about a tight fame. I hope this art doesn't die.
26 lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #16
Ziggster

They used bolts witt nuts to attach reinforcements to our bridge that crosses the Ottawa River between Ontario and Quebec. The bridge was originally built between 1898 and 1900 and was done so using steel girders and rivets. It is as fugly as hell, and I'm sure if there was a choice to use rivets they would have. Driving red hot rivets into steel is a lost art in my opinion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex...dra_Bridge.JPG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.6 KB, 25 views)
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #17
cas3

installing hot rivets is not that big of a deal when you have easy access to both sides of the rivet for your bucking bar and air hammer with the correct bit. two people helps speed things up so it stays hot. now its the ones you cant get at that make the job impossible for us amateurs. i'm sure ford had some fancy tools shaped just for this. i assume thats why the street rodders weld frame components. when installing the winch on a ww2 halftrack i threaded the rivets assuming they would never need to be removed. access to the inside was limited, they were big 1/2" rivets, and you would not see any thing wrong without a search
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:11 PM   #18
Mart

FWIW I used MGB bumper bolts for the front crossmember in my 41 pickup. I filed the chrome off the heads and turned down the part under the head. They do make a good faux rivet. I did it because I had to have the chassis number checked and being right by the rivets I thought it best if the crossmember looked like it did when it left the factory.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #19
34pickup

I would "assume"(we all know what that means) that most people with these old Fords do not build them for judging, we just build them to enjoy. I like a perfectly restored car as much as anyone but find it quite "elitist" to put down someone who only wants to do an amateur build for their own enjoyment.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #20
petehoovie

Here's a fast and easy DIY way to make your bolts look like rivets > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcNVwikV9WE

Here's a link to a manufacturer > https://bylerrivet.com/products/items-list.aspx?cat=214

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote