Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
rockfla

Default 39 Mercury question/mystery

Any of the 39 Mercury guys notice in the latest issue of V8 Times, the picture of the 39 Mercury getting a "head Light adjustment" that the center part(Basically looks as if just about the whole SS part) of the hub caps was "Painted"?????? Anyone???? Class, class.....Anyone have an opinion on the validity/originality of that? Merc man of OZ I figured you'd have noticed it!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:07 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: 39 Mercury question/mystery

Have not seen the photo you speak of but if it is an instructional photo, I would have to consider that a pre-production version of the vehicle may have been used to make the photo.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #3
34PKUP

I haven't seen it either but as previously stated pic. was probably taken using a mock-up non production car. (nothing to get exited about)
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
rotorwrench

I looked at the photo and I have to figure that it is more of a reflection thing. You have to remember that this was likely done an a somewhat dark area or there may be dark colors in the reflected area. You can tell a flash was used to take that photo and you can see a shine from areas that will reflect the flash but not as much in surfaces that don't reflect the flash. Ford made several types of hub caps in the first year and that appears to be the third type. The first ones had Ford Mercury on them then the second type had just Mercury on there. The other was a Mercury with an 8 in the background. They all have a red painted annulus near the outer edge of the center too. The part that covers the wide five wheel area was painted as far as I know. The logos were all highlighted in red paint. They likely would have been shiny if the photo was take from the side.

This is the second style: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...-1939-mercury/

This on has a photo of the third style: https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62201

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-05-2019 at 01:42 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:35 PM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I looked at the photo and I have to figure that it is more of a reflection thing. You have to remember that this was likely done an a somewhat dark area or there may be dark colors in the reflected area. You can tell a flash was used to take that photo and you can see a shine from areas that will reflect the flash but not as much in surfaces that don't reflect the flash. Ford made several types of hub caps in the first year and that appears to be the third type. The first ones had Ford Mercury on them then the second type had just Mercury on there. The other was a Mercury with an 8 in the background. They all have a red painted annulus near the outer edge of the center too. The part that covers the wide five wheel area was painted as far as I know. The logos were all highlighted in red paint. They likely would have been shiny if the photo was take from the side.

This is the second style: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/articl...-1939-mercury/

This on has a photo of the third style: https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...illinois-62201

@rotowrench
I know "early" 39's as we own one (see attached)....Oct 38 production. It has the Ford/Mercury Caps plus many other "early" productions items. We'll agree to disagree on the "reflection" theory......Look at the lower part of the hub caps and then look at the cap part...both the same color!!!!! Someone painted those caps..... I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MercV8times.jpg (50.3 KB, 49 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
rotorwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
No telling. A lot can happen with photographs and that's where my experience is coming from. Some one certainly could have painted them too. I just can't tell you with any certainty. A lot of the 39 caps I've seen aren't real shiny on the centers.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote