Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 AM   #41
pooch

Default Re: Car shows

Wow, I do not think I would like meeting most of you on this topic,

I like a bit of 50/s music, I hate concourse check book cars, I like hot rods.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #42
ronn

A real nice collection of cars-Hellertown PA comes to mind and I enjoy a bit of a flea!

good conversation as well............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I hate loud music too, but '50's music is about all there is. Music died in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, etc. Ever since most "music" is just a bunch of drugged up monkeys beating on kitchen pots and pans. Totally no talent garbage!!
Boy..............did you hit the nail on the head!
If it can't be good, it needs to be LOUD! B.S.

I remember when the Beetles hit the air, and it only went downhill from there. I thought this is just a passing fad, and they will soon get back to good music, but it never happened. Now it's a bunch of no talent freaks dressing weird and making loud noises to get attention.

Yesterday I walked into one of my favorite antique shops in Wisconsin, and Patsy Cline just came on with "Sweet Dreams". She is one of my all time favorites, and I've heard some imitators of Patsy that are also great, but it's too bad they aren't on the air.

Any more if you want good music you have to tune in the reruns of Lawrence Welk every Saturday from 6 to 7. Not only do you hear good music, but you get to see lots of beautiful talented women.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miller View Post
I show all my cars on the road. I refuse to pay some one to show my cars.
Exactly right.

That's the other reason I don't show my cars at the Anoka Saturday night car show. Why should I pay someone $3 to let other people see my car. Besides that I'd be missing all those beautiful talented ladies on Lawrence Welk.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 AM   #45
George Miller

Tom sorry I missed you at the Model A days. We stopped there on our way back from Alpena Mich on friday. But were in a hurry to get home, so we did not stay.

First time I ever seen a standup Model A truck.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:32 AM   #46
old31

Oh boy Tom.!! Tisk Tisk Tisk. This is one time I will disagree with you on something.

I think you really meant to say "Music STARTED in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Monkeys, The Who, Janice Joplin, Cream, The Bryds, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jim Hendrix, The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, The Dave Clark Five, Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs, Tommy James & The Shondells, Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Hollies, Steppenwolf, Herman's Hermits, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Roy Orbison, The Four Seasons, Buffalo Springfield, Donovan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The (Young) Rascals, Johnny Rivers, Pink Floyd, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Spencer Davis Group, Three Dog Night, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Jeff Beck Group, The Buckinghams, Traffic, The Moody Blues, Sir Douglas Quintet, Procol Harum, The Zombies, The Righteous Brothers, The Animals.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't get me going.

Oh, by the way you said Lawrence Who-What. He must have been one of those later hair bands out of the 70's I guess.

Last edited by old31; 09-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM   #47
34pickup

I also have to agree with the others complaining about the LOUD music. If you want to have music, make it low key. If you want to hear it, park closer to the speakers. I hate the loud PA systems that are loud enough that people 100 yards away can't even hear themselves talking.

And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate.

A swap meet area just makes the show to me. I get bored seeing the same cars every time so a stroll through the swap meet area is a nice treasure hunt. And if you charge the swap meet people less you might get some locals wanting to clean out the garage to show up.
Finally...having it in an area with shade is a real plus. Here in the south, it gets intolerable out in the sun after a few hours. Thats one of the reasons I always cut out early.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #48
BILL WILLIAMSON

If you attend a show with a NEGATIVE ATTITUDE, they should give you a TURD Trophy & direct you to the GATE!!!
Bill Blunt!
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #49
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Oh boy Tom.!! Tisk Tisk Tisk. This is one time I will disagree with you on something.

I think you really meant to say "Music STARTED in the '60's with the coming of the Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Animals, The Rolling Stones, The Monkeys, The Who, Janice Joplin, Cream, The Bryds, Crosby Stills & Nash, Jim Hendrix, The Turtles, Jefferson Airplane, The Dave Clark Five, Sam The Sham & The Pharoahs, Tommy James & The Shondells, Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Hollies, Steppenwolf, Herman's Hermits, The Grateful Dead, The Doors, Roy Orbison, The Four Seasons, Buffalo Springfield, Donovan, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The (Young) Rascals, Johnny Rivers, Pink Floyd, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Spencer Davis Group, Three Dog Night, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Gerry & The Pacemakers, The Jeff Beck Group, The Buckinghams, Traffic, The Moody Blues, Sir Douglas Quintet, Procol Harum, The Zombies, The Righteous Brothers, The Animals.

That's just off the top of my head. Don't get me going.

Oh, by the way you said Lawrence Who-What. He must have been one of those later hair bands out of the 70's I guess.
Looks like you just posted a list of illegal drug users that should have been locked up!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #50
1928Mik

I got your back Old31. You hit the nail on the head.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #51
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some folks should NEVER go to a Car Show, jist stay at HOME & become a "harmless" RECLUSE!
Guess Who?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #52
denis4x4

34pickup said, "And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate."

Bet most people on the 'barn have better things to do than hit a car show every week! More and more one day shows are held on a main street that's blocked off. How are you going to charge spectators that are already on the sidewalks? Yet to participate in a car show that didn't have a goodie bag that included useful stuff worth at least half my entry fee. BTW, that entry fee also covers liability insurance for the club/promoter that covers you when the guy in a muscle car doing burnouts gets out of shape a hits your fender.

Note to old31: you forgot the groups that made car songs famous like the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Rip Cords, Ronny & the Daytonas and don't forget the great surf sounds from the Ventures, the Surfaries, the Meltones Dick Dale & the Del-Tones and a host other great SoCal groups from the fifties and sixties.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #53
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Looks like you just posted a list of illegal drug users that should have been locked up!
Well, maybe. I never said they were angles. I am just saying that is when I consider the real music to have been started.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #54
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
34pickup said, "And the prices to participate are too high. Some of us older retired people are on fixed income. Spending $20 or more every weekend to let someone look at a car we spent thousands of dollars and years of labor to restore is just too expensive. Why do the spectators get in for nothing and we fit the whole bill? Drop the entrance fee and charge everyone so it isn't so painful to participate."

Bet most people on the 'barn have better things to do than hit a car show every week! More and more one day shows are held on a main street that's blocked off. How are you going to charge spectators that are already on the sidewalks? Yet to participate in a car show that didn't have a goodie bag that included useful stuff worth at least half my entry fee. BTW, that entry fee also covers liability insurance for the club/promoter that covers you when the guy in a muscle car doing burnouts gets out of shape a hits your fender.

Note to old31: you forgot the groups that made car songs famous like the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, The Rip Cords, Ronny & the Daytonas and don't forget the great surf sounds from the Ventures, the Surfaries, the Meltones Dick Dale & the Del-Tones and a host other great SoCal groups from the fifties and sixties.
Denis, you are 100% correct. It was the Ventures that made me pick up my first guitar and start my first band.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM   #55
34pickup

Denis4X4: don't recall having a car show down here where the streets are blocked off and they charge to enter. We call those cruise-ins and they are free. The merchants on the street like it because it brings in spectator business.
I don't mind a reasonable fee to enter if it goes to charity but most of them here are just put on to make money. If you are going to do that, charge everyone a nominal fee, entrants and spectators alike. And $20 is way too much in my broke ass opinion.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #56
old31

Oh sorry Tom, I shouldn't be picking on you. Even if you do like Lawrence Welk. I thought it was you that made the comment about the Beatles. It was 40 Deluxe that made that terrible comment about music ending in the 60's.

Tisk tisk 40 deluxe. Please don't tell me you listen to Lawrence Welk too.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #57
ronn

Any more if you want good music you have to tune in the reruns of Lawrence Welk every Saturday from 6 to 7. Not only do you hear good music, but you get to see lots of beautiful talented women.

I know you are kidding Tom, right?!
My grandmom listened to Welk when I was a kid and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Never got it and never will!
There is no point in loud music unless it is Zeppelin!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #58
SeaSlugs

Around here theres mostly cruise ins. Usually a huge parking lot or old town square. ALWAYS near a restaurant always free to go and see. Most people to drive their cars, go, park, eat dinner somewhere, wander about then leave. Very occasionally they will hold a cruise in for a local charity where your expected but dont have to make some kinda donation (few bucks to whatever you want) Sometimes local FORD or Chevy dealer will hold a cruise in on their lot - those are nice cuz they give participants free popcorn and sometimes a free hotdog for bringing your car!
Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM   #59
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by old31 View Post
Oh sorry Tom, I shouldn't be picking on you. Even if you do like Lawrence Welk. I thought it was you that made the comment about the Beatles. It was 40 Deluxe that made that terrible comment about music ending in the 60's.

Tisk tisk 40 deluxe. Please don't tell me you listen to Lawrence Welk too.
"Terrible comment"?! Well, as they say 'The truth hurts, doesn't it'!
No, I don't listen to Lawrence Welk but my wife does. I prefer artists like Denis4X4 listed, and others from that era. Not the noise making freak no-talents that started popping up after those English mopheads somehow got on the Ed Sullivan show!
Most of those in your list are from the era of Chevy Vegas, Pintos, Citations and K cars. Oh, and Pontiac Azteks, too!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 04:55 PM   #60
JDupuis

Its wonderful, wonderful! Now let's give a big hand for Sissy and Bobby as they dance the night away.! Memories! . Jeff