Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #21
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: DIY Windlace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
it would be interesting to see the original worsted wool windlace that ford used to see how it looks. It' really wouldn't need a selvage edge on it either since that edge is usually hidden under the other trim.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1827.JPG (75.1 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1828.JPG (85.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1829.JPG (78.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1853.JPG (76.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1863.JPG (58.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1867.JPG (62.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.JPG (50.8 KB, 66 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #22
Gary Karr

Here are a couple pictures of original windlace out of a '28 Tudor. It actually does have two salvage edges.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2948.jpg (118.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2947.jpg (118.0 KB, 48 views)
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #23
rotorwrench

That is kind of a unique pattern by comparison to modern. It doesn't seem to fit the definition of "Worsted" but then how many folks then or now even know the types of cloth that came out of Worsted in the UK.

Thanks for those samples guys. I've not seen much original stuff down here unless it comes from out of state. Stuff lasted a lot longer in Kansas than it does down here but even then you don't always find cars kept well enough to have original materials in them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
That is kind of a unique pattern by comparison to modern. It doesn't seem to fit the definition of "Worsted" but then how many folks then or now even know the types of cloth that came out of Worsted in the UK.

Thanks for those samples guys. I've not seen much original stuff down here unless it comes from out of state. Stuff lasted a lot longer in Kansas than it does down here but even then you don't always find cars kept well enough to have original materials in them.

I think the term Worsted really just means thick or heavy. I don't think it has anything to do with the pattern. The weight of modern windlace materials is much lighter in comparison. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will ever pull the trigger on having the correct style material made. Earlier in the summer I found a weaver that would replicate it however it was 1,000 yard minimum at about $5 a yard. I would basically need two colors and possibly three, ...and I was not 100% certain that they can hit the pattern exactly as it was in 1928-31.

As for original interiors, I have been fortunate to see quite a few come thru the shop over the years. For the past decade or so, I have been collecting original interiors that have come out of cars being restored to use as samples for us to replicate. Until I had those to compare against reproduction kits, I never realized just how inaccurate kits from places like LeBaron Bonney actually were. I told someone the other day that out of all the facets that make up Model-A restoration process, I felt that upholstery & trim restoration were probably the least known area if someone is seeking to replicate it accurately and authentically.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #25
ETAModel

I worked as a trimmer for an upholstery shop as a teen; we did the interior of several "old" cars for a car lot...mostly 50's and older trucks, GMC mostly.
IIRC the boss used a matching material and something like clothes line. My job was to tack,nail,brad, glue, and/or screw the windlace in place.

She would cut out a 4" strip of material and could run out windlace faster than you could say "Bobs your uncle", lol.

If the shop had the material you'd think they could make enough on a lunch break to do a Fordor Sedan. I know my old boss could.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:26 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAModel View Post
I worked as a trimmer for an upholstery shop as a teen; we did the interior of several "old" cars for a car lot...mostly 50's and older trucks, GMC mostly.
IIRC the boss used a matching material and something like clothes line. My job was to tack,nail,brad, glue, and/or screw the windlace in place.

She would cut out a 4" strip of material and could run out windlace faster than you could say "Bobs your uncle", lol.

If the shop had the material you'd think they could make enough on a lunch break to do a Fordor Sedan. I know my old boss could.

Therein lies the problem, ...its that no one is manufacturing the windlace fabric that is close in aesthetics to what the original lacing looked like.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 09-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #27
rotorwrench

To justify expenditures like that for materials, a person would need to be in a business like LB was unless a company has a lot of business in that specific model restoration. I think LB was happy just to get something somewhat close to the original. They may have been picky about in years past but not so much in more recent years. I've seen a lot of older restorations that have LB stuff in there. A lot of folks think it's original so that how much the average person knows about it. To get restorations exact adds a lot of expenditure to the restoration process. Not as many folks want to go that route.

I still have an old clutch motor but I went to an electronic servomotor for my old Consew sewing machine. That clutch motor was fast and feathering it was a bear. It's great for production work but for small stuff and leather work I needed to slow the damn thing down. Sewing something like windlace, a person could run through a long length pretty quick with a clutch motor.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #28
Jim Mason

Here's the carpet edge binding and seat piping out of a may 28 Tudor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Binding-768x1024.jpg (54.2 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by Jim Mason; 09-08-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #29
Standing Elk

Well I am going, in the next few days, to the local upholstery shop and have her make mine. She said she has some very tough and durable material that should match my interior pretty closely, not worried about points. Since reading the above thread I plan on having her use 3/8 soft nylon rope as the filler and cutting the strips 4" wide. Should be fine and definitely will be better than the worn out windlace that it will replace. I will try and remember to post some pictures after it is installed. Thanks for the good info.
Standing Elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #30
Gary Karr

The expense as Brent mentioned above to have the coachlace woven by a weaver will cover only a certain color scheme interior. Remember that there were blue, gray, brown, tan, and green tones if various Model A interiors. It's not a one type fits all.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #31
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standing Elk View Post
Well I am going, in the next few days, to the local upholstery shop and have her make mine. She said she has some very tough and durable material that should match my interior pretty closely, not worried about points. Since reading the above thread I plan on having her use 3/8 soft nylon rope as the filler and cutting the strips 4" wide. Should be fine and definitely will be better than the worn out windlace that it will replace. I will try and remember to post some pictures after it is installed. Thanks for the good info.
I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons. Only difference is I'm using this for the .38" core.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NL4DI7Y...k20872-20&th=1

I don't know about soft nylon rope but I suspect the durometer rating of EDPM hollow tubing is much softer (more pliable and compressible to provide a good seal). Just my 2 cents.

Anyhow, it's $18 for a 25' roll - plenty for 2 doors. Dropped the tubing off at the auto upholstry shop yesterday and will have it Monday. I've used him in the past so only a couple bucks for 24 running inches of 54" wide fabric (yielding six 48" pieces of windlace) that he had in stock and sewing it for free.

Last edited by dmaxweb; 09-06-2019 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Typo
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote