Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Barry-ct

Default Radio speaker size

Anyone have a factory radio and speaker in thier 48-50 F-series truck? I need to know the size, length, width and depth. I have 3 different parts books and none list radio or speaker. I think it's a 5.5 x 7.5 size, Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Barry
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: Radio speaker size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
Anyone have a factory radio and speaker in thier 48-50 F-series truck? I need to know the size, length, width and depth. I have 3 different parts books and none list radio or speaker. I think it's a 5.5 x 7.5 size, Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,

Barry
Probably a 6 x 9 which is a standard size speaker used for zillions of years going back to the forties..
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Fibber Mcgee

I put a 6x9 in mine and it fit perfect.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Paul2748 is correct on the 6X9 speaker and most likely 4 Ohm. Check this web-site for new replacement speakers and radio updates.
www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

He can update the old radios with solid state vibrators or replace the inards with late AM/FM technology.

Kerby

PS: I think FoMoCo considered the speakers part of the radio accessory kit and due to that, you will likely not find a part number unless you find either an original speaker or a complete kit with the included parts list. Ford may have had accessory brochures or installation booklets as well but I haven't come across one yet for your model.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 11-05-2010 at 08:46 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Barry-ct

I've been in Ford parts for 30 years and Ford was famous for dropping things from the parts catalogs once they obsoleted a part. By 1960, 90% of the parts for the 49-51 cars and 48-52 trucks were gone from the system unless they fit later models.That's why the 48-56 truck catalogs everyone has are a joke. Most were printed in 1964, when they did a major revision in the parts system. You need the earlier ones from 48-53 or 48-54 to find what you need. Most of the radios were put in at the dealer after arrival there. The dealer made more $$ on dealer installed options. I have an accessory catalog, but it doesn't list basic part numbers to look them up. My net price book from july of 1950 shows 2 radio prices and 3 antennas, but no speaker prices. Somewhere there has to be some literature on this stuff. I haven't found anything yet. I've got a dresser full of parts dept literature and stuff, but nothing much on accessories.

Barry

50 F-1

Barry

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Fred A

Default 6X9 Speaker Impedance Issue

Depends what radio source is to be connected to a speaker. If the headphone output or speaker out of a solid state radio is to be used then 4 to 8 ohm is the standard. The old tube jobs used speakers with a much higher nominal impedance, into hundreds of ohms rated, often with matching transformers on the back side of the speaker. That may be why old radios in otherwise good condition may sound distorted and rough is that using a low impedance speaker virtually shorts out the amp section and even destroys the amp eventually. Find an old radio guy to help sort out these matching issues. Often a tiny transformer can make things sound right. Good Luck: Fred A
Fred A is offline   Reply With Quote