Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2019, 08:27 PM   #21
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: 8BA spark plug wire brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
Long one on the right short on the left?

The best I can tell they had the two clover leaf one for the 4 wires on the passenger (right) side. Maybe on the thermostat housing?
On my car, as you are facing the engine, the long one is on the left side of the block and the short one is on the right side of the block.

I will start searching for the "clover leaf brackets", to have them, in the event this is wrong. It would be interesting to know the part numbers for the clover leaf brackets. The nice thing about these brackets is that it keeps the wires elevated from heads and the heat.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #22
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Are these brackets still available?
The only place I know of is at swap meets or Ebay from time to time.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:40 AM   #23
36coupe

Okay thanks. Looks like somebody a long time ago put 4 brackets on one set of wires. 2 cloverleaf and 2 round ones.
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #24
1948F-1Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
They no longer recommend running plug wires up against each other because the magnetic field from one plug wire can actually create spark in the wire running along side of it. You can take a plug wire that is not connected at either end and lay it along side a firing plug wire and it will create a spark in the plug wire that's just laying there. It would only be a problem if the parallel wire is next in the firing order. Like a Ford FE big block. The last two cylinders in the firing order were 7 and 8. So, when 7 is firing 8 has just filled the cylinder with fresh fuel/air because it's at the bottom of the intake stroke. This could cause engine knock if 7 induced current into the number 8 wire and ignited the air/fuel mixture early. It was easy to have this happen too because cylinders 7 and 8 are right next to each other. The fix is to keep them as far apart as possible, or cross them at 90 degrees.
I was going to say something similar but didn't want to be the party
pooper. The other no-no is having all the secondary wires in a metal
tube, à la Porsche. Never a good idea.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #25
Flathead Fever

I found some of the clover leaf ones in the garage. I'll take some photos and attach them later. I'm not going to use them if you think they will work for you.

Funny I did not find the ones off the Merc engine that I was sure I knew exactly where they were at. I ran into another pair mounted on the same four wires. The wires are hooked to a Mallory cap and Rajah plug ends. I wonder where the other four wires are at? I lost an entire engine in that garage once. I spotted two more on an engine somebody had given me. There are definitely right and lefts. That engine still had Ford Script wires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190214_143911.jpg (18.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 20190214_143937.jpg (31.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_142629.jpg (21.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 20190215_142642.jpg (37.9 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Flathead Fever; 02-15-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
The original Ford ignition systems were low enough energy that it was not much of an issue. If the ignition energy is increased (different coils) is can become an issue for sure. As compression ratios went up and the spark gap were increased in later years (60s, 70s, etc) this became more and more of a problem.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #27
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
I found some of the clover leaf ones in the garage. I'll take some photos and attach them later. I'm not going to use them if you think they will work for you.

Funny I did not find the ones off the Merc engine that I was sure I knew exactly where they were at. I ran into another pair mounted on the same four wires. The wires are hooked to a Mallory cap and Rajah plug ends. I wonder where the other four wires are at? I lost an entire engine in that garage once. I spotted two more on an engine somebody had given me. There are definitely right and lefts. That engine still had Ford Script wires.
Flathead Fever,

I sent you a PM regarding the brackets.

Thank you,

Roy Lange aka Merc Cruzer
Old 02-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #28
big job

Quote:
They no longer recommend running plug wires up against each other because the magnetic field from one plug wire can actually create spark in the wire running along side of it. You can take a plug wire that is not connected at either end and lay it along side a firing plug wire and it will create a spark in the plug wire that's just laying there. It would only be a problem if the parallel wire is next in the firing order. Like a Ford FE big block. The last two cylinders in the firing order were 7 and 8. So, when 7 is firing 8 has just filled the cylinder with fresh fuel/air because it's at the bottom of the intake stroke. This could cause engine knock if 7 induced current into the number 8 wire and ignited the air/fuel mixture early. It was easy to have this happen too because cylinders 7 and 8 are right next to each other. The fix is to keep them as far apart as possible, or cross them at 90 degrees.

Its really important on the wiring on the newer computer controlled cars to keep plug wires away fron the compuer controlled wiring. They had a problem with the Presidential limousine. When it would get about a block away from the White House the engine would quit. What they finally figured out was when they used the radio to call and open the gate the high current from the radio wiring was running right along side the wires to the engine's controller.
And that goes for MELS too
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:26 PM   #29
AnthonyG

There R new stainless ignition wire Looms on line from several suppliers reletively inexpensive https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...w=1680&bih=939
Old 02-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
Merc Cruzer

Flathead Fever,

Thanks again.

Merc Cruzer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN9117.jpg (88.3 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9116.jpg (76.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9115.jpg (71.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9118.jpg (45.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN9120.jpg (86.6 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 02-24-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #31
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post
Flathead Fever,

Thanks again.

Merc Cruzer
Have you noticed any difference in the running of the engine?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #32
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
Have you noticed any difference in the running of the engine?
Martin.
No, the wires are good, even though they look warn. I think I will order a new set anyway from Carpenter so I can get the correct plug ends and use these as a spare set. No issues previously, I just wanted to be period correct for the car.