Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
SDJason

Default Re: Snyder's new brake pedal return spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny123 View Post
Yes. I know where to get the part and how much it costs. Already have it and the same instructions. Looking for pics of actual install and or video. Also should this be done from under the car or from above? Thanks.
Look at HCash's attached pic; also - don't try installing the spring with your bare hands - use a screwdriver to stretch the spring out, and definitely consider using a "S" hook between the spring and the frame - MUCH easier to install that way. I installed mine from underneath - I don't see how one would do it from above.
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #42
harleytoprock

The previous owner of my car had installed the magic pedal return spring. After I rebuilt the service brake cross shaft bushings and corrected the anti-rattlers to work right, there was no need for the pedal return spring. The pedal returns fine with that spring in the junk box.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:40 PM   #43
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
The previous owner of my car had installed the magic pedal return spring. After I rebuilt the service brake cross shaft bushings and corrected the anti-rattlers to work right, there was no need for the pedal return spring. The pedal returns fine with that spring in the junk box.
Yep there is a reason when the pedal needs the band aide spring.. Ford produced and sold all the cars without the device
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #44
silversink

I look at the spring as insurance that I wont come out to a dead batt. I don't understand how using the spring automatically says you don't know how to adjust the brakes correctly---but it does make for some comical reading
Old 12-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #45
Marshall V. Daut

The problem I haven't seen addressed yet is what to do if Float-A-Motor engine mounts are in place, as many of us have in one Model A or another. The spring end has nothing to grab onto or be placed inside of, such as the square opening in original mounts. What I have done with Float-A-Motor rear mounts is to drill a small hole in the bottom flange where there is enough material to hook the spring end through. ('Sorry for all those prepositions at the end of clauses and sentences. Darned hard to avoid in such descriptions!) Do not drill this hole into the solid portion of the mount near the engine! You won't be able to put the spring end through solid aluminum. The end of the spring also needs to be bent outward a bit to clear the bottom edge of the flange. You'll see what I mean if you study the rear Float-A-Motor and visualize where to drill the hole so that the spring's end can be fit through.
I agree that it's best to have the brake system rebuilt to the point that the pedal will return to the upmost position on its own. But for a heavily-driven around-the-town Model A, it's a nice feeling to hear that pedal snap back in place and also know that it's almost impossible for the brake light switch to be left "on" and drain the battery. For the "driver" Model A, I almost always install this spring for the owner's peace of mind. Not all Model A owners are as savvy about such things and conscious of potential problems as the readers on this website.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #46
Mitch//pa
BANNED

For those that are worried about a draw from the brake light switch just look at your amp meter after shutting down.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #47
Benny123

I suspect I have what Marshall V. Daut is describing. I dont see the rear motor mount in the diagram sent with the part. A quick search found me this, and yes, these parts are what I see. http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A5089FAM.html
Benny123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:45 PM   #48
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
For those that are worried about a draw from the brake light switch just look at your amp meter after shutting down.

My LED's don't draw enough to show on the Ammeter but it really doesn't give me heartburn anyway... pretty sure I would notice my brake lights are on when I shut off the garage lights.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 PM   #49
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Snyder's new brake pedal return spring

Back-in-the-day they also made a "helper" spring set-up like this for the clutch pedal. Saw it advertised in an old Western Auto catalog.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 AM   #50
Bruce of MN

It's funny, my pedal always returns when I'm driving, but is hit & miss when I park. I'll be looking at/adjusting the brakes this winter, so maybe I can avoid installing a spring. Looks like it would be fun to make my own, though.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #51
Tom Wesenberg

I didn't see lubrication mentioned, but make sure every moving part is lubricated.

Also make sure the brake switch is adjusted correctly if it's the 28-9 style.

If it's the 30-1 style, make sure the switch plunger isn't rubbing on the mounting hole.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:43 PM   #52
Jwilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I know it is, Tom, But with my braces, I have to keep my left foot poised on the clutch & the extra spring "might" keep me from inadvertently keeping the T.O. bearing running!
Bill W.
Good thinking Bill.
Jwilli is offline   Reply With Quote