Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #1
buelligan

Default 1940 Ford Rear Light question

I have a "original" 1940 Ford 2dr. Sedan, Standard model with a single tail light. My question is what was the this light originally?? was it just a tail light or was it a brake/tail. The reason I ask is it has been futzed with and has a dual element socket in there now, but I'm suspect as to the originality of it. I'm also installing an aux. brake light and the location of said light will depend on the ability to use the stock lamp as a tail/brake, or strictly a tail.
Thank you in advance
buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 1940 Ford Rear Light question

it was a running light/brake light combination--required a dual element light bulb. some state required two tailights back-so not uncommon to have had a second light installed in the right rear fender
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelligan View Post
I have a "original" 1940 Ford 2dr. Sedan, Standard model with a single tail light. My question is what was the this light originally?? was it just a tail light or was it a brake/tail. The reason I ask is it has been futzed with and has a dual element socket in there now, but I'm suspect as to the originality of it. I'm also installing an aux. brake light and the location of said light will depend on the ability to use the stock lamp as a tail/brake, or strictly a tail.
Thank you in advance
If I understand your post, why in the world would you want two brake/tail lights on the left fender, and none on the right? It's best to install a matching brake/tail light in the right fender, and it will still be "original".
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
push_rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by buelligan View Post
Thank you in advance
All 1940 Ford Standard passenger cars came from the factory with one chevron shaped tail lamp on the driver's side rear fender. The passenger side rear fender had no light at all. Some states did require that cars have two rear tail lamps, so many 1940 Standards were fitted with a second chevron shaped tail lamp on the passenger side rear fender. All 1940 Ford tail lamp assemblies have a two element bulb socket; one element is the parking/tail lamp, the other is the brake light element. Your car would still be considered "original" if you added a stock chevron shaped tail lamp to the passenger side fender (You could either change the entire rear fender to one with the correct tail lamp opening or you could add an opening into your existing fender.).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 1.42.22 PM.jpg (20.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 1.48.54 PM.jpg (19.5 KB, 70 views)
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Wiring diagrams are always helpful! The diagram shows the two wires to the taillight, they both go to a dual filament bulb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40%20Ford%20Std%20wiring.jpg (104.4 KB, 33 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

This is what the wiring harness to the tail light should look like. The black wire is tail light and the green is brake.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:12 AM   #7
fortyfords

If you are using the original or New replacements and running at night, the lights don't show up very well. To keep people from running into my rear, I took a reflector tape that is used on semi and regular trailers; I installed the reflector tape on a piece of thin flexible metal and formed the metal to go over the bottom lip of the trunk opening and into the tool compartments. Shutting the trunk lid, kept the metal in place and the reflector tape glowed like a light when other peoples headlights shined on the tape. People saw me real good, where before people would tell me that they saw my car before the tail lights.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #8
4dFord/SC

I have a little battery-powered LED unit made for bicycles that I attach to the license plate at night for extra visibility.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A third tail light in the rear window is a good idea.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:00 AM   #10
buelligan

As always, thank you for the replies.
I am grateful for your time and consideration.

Last edited by buelligan; 03-09-2015 at 01:03 PM.
buelligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #11
push_rod

The original tail lamps were painted black inside, so what little light was produced by the tail lamp bulb was absorbed instead of reflected. Although it would not be "original", you can make your stock tail lamp appear much brighter by simply painting the inside of the tail lamp bright white (remove or mask off the bulb socket before painting.). My family's '40 Fords are both "modified", and run 12 volt electrical systems. I painted the inside of our tail lamps bright white, and installed a 12 volt halogen brake light kit into them. I also added a custom license plate frame that includes a third brake light.
See the attached photo of the rear of dad's '40 Tudor. He simply has his headlights on, but you can see how lit up the tail lamps are (It is too bad dad was not stepping on the brake, but you can see the unlit third brake light over the top of the license plate.).

Best regards,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 10.27.16 AM.jpg (17.2 KB, 57 views)
push_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Now look at the truck tail light in front of the 40! LOL The license thing is kinda cool.