Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
skeazle

Default 1930 Model A transmission oil change

Hello everyone out there in ''A'' land! I've had my 1930 Tudor sedan a couple of months now and have only driven it about 3 times locally. Weather being most of the reason it sits. It was restored back in '09 and since then the man I bought the car from had only put 1,074 mi. on it. So I thought I'd get it ready for our first Model A meet this weekend and I went and took out the fill plug for the tranny and stuck my finger in as far as I could and felt no oil. So now I'm starting to panic because I have no 600 wt. oil to add to it but I've since ordered some from Mac's. My question is how do you all manage to add oil to the tranny laying under the car with hardly any room to pour the oil in? It's tight. I think I am going to try a turkey baster with a hose on the end of it. I'll probably sit the quart of oil in hot water for a few minutes to thin it out and just try the baster thing. Don't laugh! I'm running out of ideas. I am going to jack up the car and put 4 jack stands under it so hopefully it will be high enough off the ground to work under there. I wish I could drive the car to get the tranny oil hot enough but I don't know how low it is. As it is I wonder if any damage is done to the bearings or gears. I also checked the diff.and it is ok but I might just change it and that way I'm starting out fresh. If you could offer any advice I'd sure appreciate it. thanks, Jim
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #2
RonC

Default Re: 1930 Model A transmission oil change

Take out the floor boards there is a plug for filling in side facing up
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:33 AM   #3
captndan

I have read here that the old 600w oil is really today's 140w. Hope that helps.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
kwisor

hello
the easy way is remove the frt floor boards I do not know if you have carpet or floor mats but the frt floor boards lift right out you will need to remove the boots on the brake and shifter that is also the way to replace the battery there are screws holding the boards to the body
kevin
1930 tudor
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Patrick L.

I'd recommend draining as much as you can and see what it looks and feels like. If it really nasty you may want to remove the top and clean the inside as much as you can before filling it with new oil. Filling from the topside is easy.
Filling from the side plug is not too bad. I use a small plastic bottle with a short nozzle. It fits along the frame rail and just squirt the oil in until just before it starts to come out of hole. Its not hard and doesn't take long.
600W is anywhere from 180-240 weight. Some use 140 with no issues. I use 250. I also recommend straight oil with no concoctions added.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 AM   #6
skeazle

Thanks for the info guys!
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

If the tranny and rear end were overhauled just 1000 miles ago in 09, then it shouldn't need to be changed. I use an oil can with the tip removed to pump in gear oil, or I also use a plastic squeeze bottle, such as catsup or mustard bottles.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #8
Terry, NJ

If some woman in your life color their hair, The small squeeze bottles that the color agent is mixed in. This bottle is small enough , about 2 ounces, to use a filler for several tight places in the car. I use mine for adding fluid to the master cylinder.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
Mitch//pa
BANNED

No need to remove anything... Use a 1qt bottle with nozzle like this quick and easy...

We always stress to Ck over a car before driving it. Especially all the fluids....remember there is fluid in the diff also so Ck that..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (55.4 KB, 108 views)
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #10
1Tudoor

Would be great if we all had lifts in our garage but consider when filling the vehicle angled w/ a floor jack , the true lube level can be too low or too high relative to the fill hole --not a huge crisis , but putting too much in can cause momentary leaks until it adjusts its level.
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
Willie Krash

Man I'm lazy. I don't pull floor boards. I brought a 50¢ funnel and clear tubing. Pull the plug, insert tube and pour it in to the funnel. After a minute or two add some more..You don't even have to get under the car.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
ed thibodeau

cut a hole in the right side of the floor board above the fill plug and add a metal cover like the one above the batt. and when you want to check or add oil just peel back the floor mat , pry up the metal cover and add.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #13
Tiny

Check the rear end and steering box also while your there. They all take the same stuff. Pull the plugs and drain them The rear end and tranny that is, just top off the steering box. 2 quarts of your favorite 600w will do all of the above. I just tried out Lubriplates SPO77. It seems to work well, for me.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #14
ODFever

I had a little trouble finding a way to get the 600W bottle to the fill plug. I climbed out from under the car and found some leftover vacuum line. I cut a 4" piece and attached it to the top of the bottle. I got under the car, put the hose in the transmission, and squeezed the bottle. My idea worked perfectly! My friend, with over 22 years experience owning and maintaining Model A's, was impressed. He usually fights the big bottle up to the transmission. :-)
Old 05-11-2016, 01:19 AM   #15
DougVieyra

The Mitchell Transmission Access Cover (sold by vendors) works to ease the job of checking and filling the transmission lube reservoir. See Post # 12. It is the same thing - just professionally made, and marketed.

Ofcourse you still have the rubber/carpet mat to remove. On my '28 Phaeton I just sliced the rubber mat into two sections, and just had to pull back the passenger section to get to the metal cover - a real easy job. The same thing can be done with deluxe cars with the cloth carpet. Good for 'drivers' - not so much for 'show' cars.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #16
Garychinook

Most auto parts stores have a cheap plastic pump that is inserted into whatever oil container your working with. Run a tube of equally as cheap hose from the pump to the trans or where ever.
Garychinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:03 AM   #17
Utopia Texas

The floor boards take less than 2 minutes to un screw and take out to check the oil level and re-fill. All this crawling under the car with bottles and tubes is a waste for folks like me with bad backs and arthritis.
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote