Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
krowbar39

Default 39 spring conversion

Need some advice. I would like to change out the transverse spring on my 39 standard and put in parallel springs. What parallel springs can I use on my 39 standard to replace the transverse spring. Besides buying from a catalog. Thanks
krowbar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 39 spring conversion

Just curious as to why you want to do that. You will get more answers here. Introduce yourself first to create "goodwill."
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Mart

You can't do it. The springs will create a bind situation with the torque tube.
If you are changing the axle to another type (not torque tube) then it's a common mod. People like Chassis Engineering do kits for such a job.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
krowbar39

Thanks Mart, I was looking to PERHAPS put a Ford rear end that I have along with the leaf springs. I was looking for some one who put springs on their car that came off another type of vehicle. I still have my 39 trans as well as the torque tube with a 8rt leading the way.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
George/Maine

If you need more speed you would be better off getting new gears.If you want the old floor shift you need the truck trans with open drive then you could change to open drive rear end.
Chassic Engeering has a nice rearend kit and drop a Granda in no problem.My car has the kit.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
krowbar39

Thanks George, could you please clarify the "Granda" is that how much you have into it, or is that with Granada springs and rear end. You are spot on as far as your comments regarding the fine line between those restore down to the nut and those who stay within the "boundary's"
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
George/Maine

I bought a 81 Granada for about $400 and wanted to get the feel ,Picturing a flathead up front.Chassic Engeering prices on line.Not a cheap change.End result drives nice c4 auto trans and Granada rear and can remove gas tank.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Mr 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
You can't do it. The springs will create a bind situation with the torque tube.
If you are changing the axle to another type (not torque tube) then it's a common mod. People like Chassis Engineering do kits for such a job.

Mart.

Well you can do it if you use shackels in all ends of the springs, then the torquetube axle "float's" and no binding will occur

But cant understand whay you should want to do it :-)
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 PM   #9
sturgis 39

I think the stock springs give a good ride. I would not change to the parallel springs. What, did somebody say something negative about the stock springs so you think you have to change them to be cool. Like I always say "If I wanted to drive a mustang too , I would buy a mustang too". If you want a better gear ratio buy an overdrive unit.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:40 AM   #10
X38

Right now this is a question with no purpose. Why do you want to do this, what do you want to achieve?

Basically you'll have to change everything from the bellhousing back, just so you can say you have parallel leaves?
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
krowbar39

Thanks everyone, Sorry, I was not specific from the start. Lets rephrase. I have a 8" Ford rear end and a 51 Ford trans, with the open line. Now, if, at some time I would use that rear end I would want to put parallel leaf springs on it. I know putting leaf springs with a torque is a bad idea. All I wanted to know is: was there any alternative springs (out of a truck or car) I could use besides going aftermarket. The reason why is a better ride and lowering the rear.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Ken/Alabama

I did this on my 40 . The reason was I wanted a 5 speed and a little more beefy transmission than the 39 gearbox I had in there . I used a kit from Chassis Engineering and it worked out perfect . Well worth the money without having to make spring hangers and trying to figure out which spring I needed. Its got an 8" rear out of a Grenada and it fits right in there without moving the spring pads. I know this wasnt the answer to the question but I think its money ahead in the long run.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #13
sturgis 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by krowbar39 View Post
Thanks everyone, Sorry, I was not specific from the start. Lets rephrase. I have a 8" Ford rear end and a 51 Ford trans, with the open line. Now, if, at some time I would use that rear end I would want to put parallel leaf springs on it. I know putting leaf springs with a torque is a bad idea. All I wanted to know is: was there any alternative springs (out of a truck or car) I could use besides going aftermarket. The reason why is a better ride and lowering the rear.
You have a great ride now. There are several ways to lower the car. Remove leafs, mono leaf spring, reversed eye springs and longer shackles. Your car will be worth more with the stock rear end. I would not by your car after this conversion.

The cars that brought the biggest money on the recent Barret-Jackson auction were not modified. There were not many old Fords. The muscle cars that were not modified brought the highest bids.

It is your car and your money but this is my opinion. I think the look of old banjo rear end is beyond cool. I like the wide five wheels too.

Like I always say,"If I wanted to drive a Mustang too, I would buy a Mustang too".

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:31 PM   #14
Bassman/NZ

Just go to a Pick A Part and yank all the bits you need out of a car that has the same rear as the one you have. The springs can easily softened up by removing a leaf, or adding a leaf to stiffen it up. The shocks you get can easily be swapped out to alter the ride too. This is grass roots hot-rodding, much preferable to paying big dollars and installing a kit in my opinion.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #15
Marv

If you want the later rearend and still would like the spyder wheels, Speedway sells adapters for this. That is what i am going to do. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #16
X38

OK then. I say don't be penny wise, use the CE kit and it's a no brainer. Anyway, in the big picture it's not expensive.
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
George/Maine

To put that 51 trans in you would be best to get the trans kit,with the rear kit and anything after that is endless.I had to remove a c4 last year and was able to take it out the bottom.