Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #41
russcc

Default Re: Installing Rear Hub On A '40

That was a great thread. Thank you Fordbarners. I have been doing it wrong, but now know hoe to remedy the situation.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #42
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Hmm. I don't see the trans. low gear ratio figured in. I used 2.82 as the first gear ratio and came up with a total of 2144 ft. lbs. of torque to divide between the the two axles (minus drivetrain losses-say 20%) so 1700 divided by 2 equals about 850 ft. lbs. max. per axle in first gear.

So from the numbers presented here, it looks like the taper fit alone is not enough! (At least not when the clutch is popped at max RPM in first gear!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
Correct! I've built rear axle assemblies for drag cars and that's the way to choose what axle strength is required for a particular engine/trans/torque level/gear ratio. That first gear ratio is a very important factor.
Terry
Guys....You're both absolutely correct...you must use 1st gear as the deal-breaking factor when multiplied by rear end ratio for overall torque computations. But I have to disagree (within reason) with the statement about TAPER fit ALONE not being enough to hold the axle firmly with the hub. Think about it....99-3/4% of us morons that drove one of these old Fords before reaching the legal drinking age has revved it up and side-stepped that left pedal in 1st gear. Many of us even got away with it more than once and laid-down a skinny black patch long enough to make those girls on the corner giggle and shake their heads. But Henry's boys didn't really design-in a redundancy factor meant to protect Billy Bad-ace from unconditional poor judgement, and that next time or two would leave ya with a requisite trip to the junk yard for a $10 trans or a $20 rear end with a GOOD ring and pinion or spider gears, and a few hours underneath replacing such. My point here is that the old Ford drive trains weren't built for continued abuse, but SOMETIMES when the planets were aligned just right, and when those big nuts were tightened correctly, those old tapered axles spun those hubs like there was no tomorrow.......until the one time when everything just went south! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #43
cadillac512

So no amount of fool-proofing will overcome the efforts of a sufficiently motivated fool? Darn...

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #44
Floyd

This has been fun stuff. At least we got some people thinking which is a good thing. And yes to 40 Deluxe, your trans point is well taken and does affect the numbers. The actual limiting element in this exercise is the traction of tire to road. At approx. 560 ft-lbf at the axle(per side) the wheel will spin the tires IF the car is not allowed to accelerate, i.e. pushed up against a wall. Otherwise most of the force goes into accelerating the car. A whole notha set of calculations, but we just want to go fast (and stay safe with tight axles)
Fun session and yes Cadillac512, we will not be able to foolproof our way past all of the fools.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #45
cadillac512

And thanks for the math,Floyd. It's good stuff,and as I've always said: It's Math,not Magic!

Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote