Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
ironbuttjohn

Default Hamtown Al?

Whatever happened to Hamtown Al?
ironbuttjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Hamtown Al?

He was on here Christmas day
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
hotrodart

He has been active recently on HAMB......prepping a Nailhead for one of his hot rod fleet.....
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
TomT/Williamsburg

Hamtown has a few irons in the fire right now, especially a Nailhead in a 32 project. We have been comparing notes as I am just finishing up one now .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
ironbuttjohn

Tom T, it's good to hear from you. I've been off Ford Barn for several years as I have built a '55 F100 (2 year build) and a '56 F100 (3 year build) both with FI motors and auto trans. Getting back to the '48 this year with a T5 and open rear. I have the 1/2 truck bellhousing and am looking for an adapter for the swap. Any suggestions from you would be helpful as you have done this before.

Been missing you at Charlotte the past couple years. How's the guys down in Tampa doing? That's a good group they have down there. John
Old 12-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbuttjohn View Post
Getting back to the '48 this year with a T5 and open rear. I have the 1/2 truck bellhousing and am looking for an adapter for the swap.
First you need to ID the T5 as there are several different combinations of bellhousing bolt patterns and input shaft lengths/diameters. The two basic bolt patterns are commonly referred to as Ford & Chevy patterns (the later Chevy T5s have the Ford pattern).
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey, Ironbottom - long time no hear. We've just about given up on the Fall Charlotte Auto Fair but the Spring one we usually hit and wifey is there doing a good job selling while you are out shopping! Are you in the same spot for both or is the Spring spot different?

Been building a 32 5-window - the link to the HAMB build thread is below. I have not been to the Fordbarn event in FL for a while. Vic has thinned his heard quite a bit as well.

Send me a message here on the 'Barn, letting Earl and I know what you have been up to with your builds and on your new build you need 5-speed build you've got going. JSeary is also an excellent person to ask .....

As for the adapters, if you can bolt a stock 3or4speed to what you have, JSeary has it right as there are two bolt patterns - one is the "H" style for the Chevy S10s up to sometime in 93, then there's the narrower Ford pattern also used by Chevy in their Camaris, Firebirds, and other GM vehicles. Speedway is good for the "H" style, Krylon here and on the HAMB has the Ford style. Picking your T-out bearing setup is another thing to consider, non world class vs world class ... you got choices ....

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Last edited by TomT/Williamsburg; 12-29-2018 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
ironbuttjohn

Tom T, I only do the spring show and Carolyn tells me you and Earl come by but I keep missing you. Maybe this year I'll see you. You guys should be a room and make 2 days out of it. You try to do tooooo much in one day.

The transmission I have is out of a S10 and has the old style drive for the speed-O so I feel it is a chev pattern but I do have the tag and will use the numbers from it to order parts. I hope to use the flat adapter with the truck bellhousing for this swap. My rear is a 8.8 from an explorer, 3.50 gear limited slip. I got the rear for one of my truck builds but saved it for the '48. I have a 3.50 gear in the car now and the engine has the 4" crank so I think this rear will work with a T5.

I built the '48 coupe @ 12 years ago and it's time to freshen it up. We don't do the car show thing any more thus the car is going to be more a daily driver. Would love to trade it (up or down) for a rag top of some type (prefer a baby bird).
Old 12-30-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
TomT/Williamsburg

Hey, John - we need to move this conversation as we are hijacking this thread. I will respond to you via the messaging system here ....