Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2020, 11:53 AM   #1
alanwoodieman

Default over the fender creeper

anybody have any experience with one of these? HF, and some other cheap versions are around, I need to adjust valves on a 49 Ford truck and really don't want to lay on the fenders.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: over the fender creeper

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799MYRFQ...osi&th=1&psc=1

JEGS Performance Products 81166 High Top Creeper Capacity: 400 lbs.

Price: $176.69 & FREE Shipping

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

At the shop where I work we've got one like the one posted above, very handy and well built. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:03 PM   #4
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
anybody have any experience with one of these? HF, and some other cheap versions are around, I need to adjust valves on a 49 Ford truck and really don't want to lay on the fenders.
Borrowed one to try on my car and found it to be worthless because of the fenders being lower.
When lowered to a convenient height it could not be brought in close enough to be useful.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #5
Tim Ayers

Snap On just came out with one. It is super nice and includes a tray and other features that make it very comfortable to use.

It is expensive, but it's made in USA and warranted forever.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
4dFord/SC

I thought you were talking about my neighbor's cat.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
37 Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Snap On just came out with one. It is super nice and includes a tray and other features that make it very comfortable to use.

It is expensive, but it's made in USA and warranted forever.
Snap on warranty... Ok.. I`ve got around 100K invested in Snap On tools. I retired from dealership work in 2012. I now live in the country and town is an hour round trip and work on my stuff here in my shop at home. Needless to say I have no Snap On dealer. I needed a couple sockets warrantied and called Snap On. They said just send them in with proof of purchase and they will replace them. I bought a lot of my tools on the early 70s. Now where did I put that receipt? I am not going to town to track down a dealer which probably don`t have a replacement so it would be two trips to town to track down the dealer.. Basically.. I have no warranty on my tools.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
Snap on warranty... Ok.. I`ve got around 100K invested in Snap On tools. I retired from dealership work in 2012. I now live in the country and town is an hour round trip and work on my stuff here in my shop at home. Needless to say I have no Snap On dealer. I needed a couple sockets warrantied and called Snap On. They said just send them in with proof of purchase and they will replace them. I bought a lot of my tools on the early 70s. Now where did I put that receipt? I am not going to town to track down a dealer which probably don`t have a replacement so it would be two trips to town to track down the dealer.. Basically.. I have no warranty on my tools.
I hear you. My buddy is a Snap On dealer and we talk about this.

All I can say is try to find a local (somewhat to you). Most dealers are great and will exchange them no questions asked. Once you establish a relationship, a lot the guys will come to you.

Did you try going up the chain when you called? Sometimes the first person isn't the one able to give the OK. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #9
37 Cab

Coming to me is not really an option. My driveway is narrow out front and the Snap On dealer (only one in town) Drives a piece of junk truck that leaks diesel oil bad. Don`t want him parked in my drive... He also stocks almost nothing. Have not tried going higher up with Snap On But I don`t look forward to doing that every time a socket breaks. I have been replacing them with used matching tools from Ebay.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
tubman

"37 Cab" makes a good point although it is peripheral here. I also have "filled in" missing sockets, ignition wrenches etc. by carefully watching eBay and grabbing missing matching pieces when they pop up. The prices are usually pretty good, the shipping, not so much.

I will probably never use any of the ignition wrenches I bought, but I feel a lot better knowing I have the complete set.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
Tim Ayers

I'm sorry to hear you fellas having trouble with Snap On. I don't buy their tools often, but when I do I can get them serviced easily. I feel for those who can't. It must be frustrating.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
tubman

Default "Cigar City" flathead meet

I am in Marathon in the Keys for the winter. I am considering going up for this meet in March. It's a long way for me given my current situation, and I am wondering how may of you folks are planning on going. So as not to clutter up the board, you can PM me with your plans so I have some idea. It would be nice to put a face to a name.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 10:24 AM   #13
5851a

I worked in a shop also but not anymore, take my broken tools to local Ford dealer in town. Give them to trusted mechanic and next time I'm in town pick up the replacement. Buy the mechanic a soda. Best I came up with.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
philipswanson

Takes up too much room for storage. Just use terry towels. Too high anyway.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
Brian

One trick I use to save my back when working on these fat fendered vehicles, is to remove the wheels which lowers the front of vehicle
Old 02-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #16
rotorwrench

Most Snap On dealers are pretty good folks just trying to make a living like everyone else. I would contact one that has a route nearest your location. They will tell you the best place to meet them and the approximate time (thank god for cell phones). Some guys come to my shop to do business with the latest dealer if they live close by.

I had one Snappy dealer that had an FFL licence to sell guns on the side. He just had me meet him at his house so I could sign the legal papers when I purchased a hot smokin deal. We'd have a beer or two and try the new "tool" out. He eventually moved on and I have all the guns I need now. My latest dealer only lives about 3.5-miles from my shop.

I built my own over the fender work stand a long time ago. I use it on the helicopters too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #17
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Most Snap On dealers are pretty good folks just trying to make a living like everyone else. I would contact one that has a route nearest your location. They will tell you the best place to meet them and the approximate time (thank god for cell phones). Some guys come to my shop to do business with the latest dealer if they live close by.

I had one Snappy dealer that had an FFL licence to sell guns on the side. He just had me meet him at his house so I could sign the legal papers when I purchased a hot smokin deal. We'd have a beer or two and try the new "tool" out. He eventually moved on and I have all the guns I need now. My latest dealer only lives about 3.5-miles from my shop.
Yep, agree 100%.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:36 PM   #18
Tinker

I use a blanket over the fender. 99.9 percent of the time. I'm cheap too.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #19
Emmit51

Guess I’m cheap too

Using old beach towels on the fenders right now
Emmit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:20 AM   #20
oldandtired

My brother was a Snap-On dealer. He went out and bought one of the big box vans and travelled a regular route as well as picking up some new customers within the boundaries of his route from time to time. In the years he worked for them he never gave me so much as a single screwdriver for Christmas or a birthday. Oh, well.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote