Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 07:58 AM   #1
Leadfoot4U

Default '34 bent rear spring perches

I'm doing a body off restoration, while having the differential out of the car I noticed the rear spring perches seemed "off". Using a couple of steel stakes in the perches I found this:

Obviously one perch is bent from the other. When looking down from above the right perch (I'm standing at the drive shaft end) looks perpendicular to the differential center line:

The left alignment looks like this:

No doubt the problem side is the left (in the fore ground of the first image). What can I do about this? Can I heat this forged steel perch to straighten, or am I pooched?

Last edited by Leadfoot4U; 10-05-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Leadfoot4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: '34 bent rear spring perches

Heat the hanger an inch or two below the spring eye to a cherry red and slowly bend into place. I've bent front hangers several times when splitting the front wishbones.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
Andy

I would heat it and bend it around. I cut some off and rewelded them on a 40 rear to use the 32 spring.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Bored&Stroked

Keep in mind that they're supposed to be bent - as the spring is bent . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

If you want, I can go into the shop later on today and put an 'angle gauge' on a set of housings (as well as take a picture or two).
Old 10-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Need to be sure on the angle, then, heat and bend.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
V8COOPMAN

The picture below is the one that seems 'pooched'. Of course, the spring is bent forward on both sides when looking from the top, and the eyes are rolled perpendicularly (90 degrees) to the forward-bent spring leaf. It's perfectly OK to heat and bend the forged steel employed in these mounts. MAKE SURE you allow the heated mount to cool NATURALLY after heating and bending back to shape. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #8
Leadfoot4U

The old rear springs were worn out. Half of the leaves had huge gouges where the ends dug into the lower leaf. On the main leaf, at least a third of the spring thickness was worn away. I found a good spring replacement at Hershey last year, so I'll be using it. The new spring main leaf appears straight at the eyes, so I know it isn't going to like this twist as shown. Needless to say the shackle bolts were shot too.

The angle that's been referred to......it's in relationship to what? More than just the relationship to the two spring eye's being in alignment with each other I'm guessing?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #9
Leadfoot4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post

The picture below is the one that seems 'pooched'.

Really??

Not being familiar with what a correct perch looks like I assumed it had to be perpendicular to the center line of the axle.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate them!
Old 10-05-2020, 11:06 AM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot4U View Post
The angle that's been referred to......it's in relationship to what? More than just the relationship to the two spring eye's being in alignment with each other I'm guessing?
Hey Leadfoot.....That sure is one NICE-looking Vicky!

I think it should not be difficult to determine the angle you're looking for. Here's what I would do. Take that new replacement main leaf that you found at Hershey and prop it up on a flat surface similar to how it would sit in the car. Place a straight edge touching the FRONT side of the two spring eyes. Some very careful "eyeballing" (as viewed from the top) of the angle between either leg of the spring leaf and the straight edge should get you an angle that should be plenty 'close-enough' when compared with an imaginary AXLE CENTERLINE drawn across the top of the axle housing. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #11
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Really??

Not being familiar with what a correct perch looks like I assumed it had to be perpendicular to the center line of the axle.

Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate them!
Actually, the mount needs to be PARALLEL with the spring eye. The spring eye is perpendicular with the 'bent' (angled forward) main leaf. The "non-perpendicular" (to axle centerline) mount in your BOTTOM picture is the way it should appear, to match the angle of the corresponding spring eye angle. Clear as mud, huh? The picture below is how it SHOULD appear.....crooked! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
The old rear springs were worn out. Half of the leaves had huge gouges where the ends dug into the lower leaf. On the main leaf, at least a third of the spring thickness was worn away. I found a good spring replacement at Hershey last year, so I'll be using it. The new spring main leaf appears straight at the eyes, so I know it isn't going to like this twist as shown. Needless to say the shackle bolts were shot too.

Just for grins, can you post a picture of the new rear spring? It should have a very distinctive curve to it (32 - 34) and while the spring eyes are perpendicular to the main leaf, they should be angled as a result of the curve. Just want to make sure we're all working from the same set of facts (or parts) here.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
DavidG

With respect, maybe it would a good idea to go back to the starting point as to why the rear spring is bent when viewed from above and then everything will fall in place logically. It is bent to clear the back of the center section of the rear axle in a jounce, simple as that.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
Leadfoot4U

I went out to see just what you guys were talking about, sure enough the main leaf spring is angled at the perch eye's! I hadn't noticed that before! I did exactly what you said V8Coopman and checked the main leaf to a straight edge (actually I hadn't read these last couple of posts, it must have been mental telepathy for me to think about doing it as you described).

Anyway, that angle you're all talking about is this green highlighted angle:

I checked it with a protractor and it looks like about 8 degrees:

So YES, I see now where the left side looks more correct than the 90 degree right side spring eye. At least I understand what your all saying regarding the eye angle compared to the axle when looking from the top.

How about the first image though? The relationship of the up/down angle in comparison to what is correct? Perhaps compared to the drive shaft as the spring sits in the rear crossover support?

Last edited by Leadfoot4U; 10-05-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #15
RB

When replacing a spring on my 32 project I too observed the left perch was much closer to the backing plate on the left side... must be common place as we often times do not know if pieces or parts are original to our vehicles.
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #16
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
How about the first image though? The relationship of the up/down angle in comparison to what is correct? Perhaps compared to the drive shaft as the spring sits in the rear crossover support?
I'd be inclined to believe that the spring mount CLOSEST to you in your first picture is PROBABLY pretty close to being correct. THAT pipe looks to be pretty close to being perpendicular in angle with the FRONT face where the torque tube bolts-on. And since the spring mount on the FAR SIDE (in picture) is the one which is twisted 'left to right', it likely also got twisted 'up and down'. I'd just about call the one closest to you (in the picture) as GOOD! But, what do I know? DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 10-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #17
DavidG

Your first photo confirms that the right side perch is bent both horizontally and vertically. But, given the position of the rear axle center section in your photo, not much else can be concluded with certainty from that photo. You need to position the center section to duplicate the angle of the driveshaft center line in the installed position in a completed chassis which is slightly upward from back to front where it attaches to the back of the transmission.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:21 PM   #18
Leadfoot4U

Thank you so much for the help! I've got a much better understanding of what to look out for when repositioning the springs.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #19
Bored&Stroked

My guess would be that the one that already has the incorrect angle (for the spring eye) is also probably the one with the incorrect front-to-back angle. It probably got bent in both directions during the same "incident".