Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
Bolts

Default '48 coupe heater hose connection question

This car hasn't been running for many years.

I pulled the radiator today to have it checked out and noticed the old heater hose stub laying alongside the motor going nowhere. Had to cut the hoses off. The bottom hoses were just straight connections water pump to radiator.

Searching the threads on the forum, I understand the earlier cars have the heater hose going to the bottom right radiator hose somehow.

I assume my '48 goes the same way but I have no idea how the heater taps into the bottom (very short) hose.

Is there a special hose made for this and if so, where might this little gem be found?

Appreciate any help on this.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
meric42

Default Re: '48 coupe heater hose connection question

This Fitting goes in the bottom hose. Available from most vendors. Hope this helps?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 91A-15160 Heater conn.JPG (20.5 KB, 8 views)

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Bolts

Thanks meric42.
I saw that in a catalog but didn't think it was a Ford part. Should make changing the bottom hose even more fun.
Any helpful hints on putting the hose on after the fitting is installed?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
Rich Overton

Tried to send you my lengthy procedure but as usual my reply did not show up and although I was logged on I was informed that I was not, so hopefully some other barners have replied to your request.

Rich O.
Rich Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Bolts

Rich, please try again. For some reason we get timed out and lose the text. Has happened to me too. If you log in again sometimes it will take the post as normal.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Rich Overton

Hi Bolts, Maybe this will go through. Let me know. If you haven't received any help from another barner let me know and I will try again.

RichO.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #7
Bolts

Hi Rich. Yeah, the radiator is out and although I havn't had the pleasure of replacing any hoses yet, I know from past experience short coupled hoses are sometimes hard to get in. With the connector installed I just don't see how it can go back together unless the radiator moves to give enough room to work the hose back on.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
ford38v8

Alex, Not familiar with '48, but this works well for me with my '38: The lower hoses being close would need to bend to get them on unless done like this... disconnect the front motor mounts and raise the front of the engine, insert the hose on the water pumps, then guide them onto the radiator outlets as you lower the engine back onto the motor mounts.

I use only silicone, no sealant. Some are afraid that silicone will permit the hose to slip off, but that will not happen if it is the correct hose and positioned correctly. You'll also appreciate silicone the next time you remove the hose.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #9
packyusmc

I had to cut the bottom hoses when i removed the radiator in my '38. I bought new hose by the foot at Autozone, i think, There was no way you could bend that hose double and push both ends over at the same time. What i did was measure the length i needed, used some sort of lube, pushed one end on the water pump, lined up the other end to the radiator and then just pushed the radiator towards the rear I finished up the installation of the radiator ect and that was that. If you use that fitting for the heater hose, measure the hose for correct length, measure the radiator tube, passenger side lower and the water pump, find out where the fitting has to be and cut a round hole in the hose in the middle. Make sure the hole is the same size as the fitting nipple, use some kind of sealer around the nipple on the inside of the hose and in the nipple and cut in the hose. Put the top part on screw the nut on, then put the hose on like i indicated before. I dont know of any way i could get it on except the way Alan did his. Hope this helps.
packyusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
Bolts

Thanks Alan. Just put a floor jack with a piece of wood under the pan to raise the engine? No problems?
Old 01-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Ian NZ

I just fit the connection near to one end of the hose, and fit that end onto the water pump and just bend the hose up a bit to fit the radiator hose. Check the length of the water pump outlet too. some models are a different length.
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:59 PM   #12
ford38v8

Alex, yes, that's the way to go. If it's difficult to guide both hoses at the same time, it can be done one at a time, tilting the engine against the opposite motor mount, the way it's done if changing one water pump.

Packy, I'd like to comment on your locating the hole in the middle: Whether in the exact middle or not, the location of the fitting has to clear both the pump and the radiator. The language wouldn't be pretty if I discovered I'd installed the fitting to interfere with the installation!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #13
Rich Overton

Hey Bolts, It kicked me off again !!! i've never had to jack up the engine or move the radiator! If you want to know how I do it. Call me. 631-728-0119. I hope this goes through to you!
rich O.