Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #1

Default Transmission help

I put a set of 46 merc gears in my 38-39 trans case and i ended up with .040 front to back movementon of cluster. Now I used cluster rear thrust washer for the 46 gears it is .040 thinner than the early set of gears but I cant change the rear thrust washer it is different than the earlier one. All thrust washers are new. Will this difference hurt or not/ Thanks Richard

Old 03-23-2005, 03:46 PM   #2

Default Re: Transmission help

You need a stainless thrust washer/spacer that was common in later boxes, it goes between the rear thrust & the case.

Someone will have one for you.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:18 AM   #3

There were several variations of the cluster gear and rear thrust washer. The regular 38-48 clusters had the 4 slots machined into the rear face of the cluster (in a radial manner). These require the matching rear thrust washer (#68-7129) with the 4 prongs that stick out slightly on the washer to engage it with the cluster gear.

The later cluster gears had two prongs on the rear face of the cluster that stuck out toward the rear. These clusters require the matching thrust washer (#8M-7129)with a couple matching cutouts in the center of the thrust washer, PLUS another thinner washer (8M-7128) that looks like a big 3" fender washer with a portion of the circle cut off in a straight line. The second thinner washer fits between the thick thrust washer and the rear of the trans case.

Since the later cluster gears (used from 1948 to 51 I think) will fit the older cases, they are often used as replacements. They work fine....you just have to match up the thrust washers. The front thrust washer (#B-7119) is the same thoughout all those years. If your trans case has excessive wear on the thrust washer faces, you could regain the correct clearance by adding the right amount of shim in the form of round shim washers. The thrust faces must be in good condition of course, or the new parts will wear out prematurely.

<ul>[*]The Flathead Ford V8 Engine site[/list]

Old 03-24-2005, 01:34 PM   #4

Thanks for all the help.