Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
montanafordman

Default Figured I'd post a progress update.

One of these days I'm going to finish a blog website I started long ago but never got around to publish and post a bunch of pictures in chronological order of all the work I've done to my coupe and some of the adventures I've already had with it. I took it from needing serious help in every category and not being fit mechanically to drive around the city to being able to do an 800 mile road trip to a MAFCA regional gathering in another state, and now that I've restored all the mechanical stuff I'm making it pretty and addressing all the little stuff. It's been torn down again for some necessary body, wood, sheet metal and interior work. Maybe then I will have a top that doesn't leak like a sieve, and a windshield wiper even though by design they aren't the most effective, and sound sheet metal with the correct colors and interior. I think my grandpa would be impressed with how his car is coming along.
(and its come a long way in the three years I've had it!)

This is what my car looked like after I had redone the rear end, transmission, brakes, suspension (minus rehabbing the rear spring which I accomplished this month). I drove it to Bend, OR last year for the regional meet and participated in some club tours last year. During this process I proceeded into the advanced stages of "The Model A Illness" which there is no cure. The engine was rebuilt earlier this year as well.

Here is a recent shot of my body up on a dolly. My rear fenders had patch panels cleverly bolted between the fenders and body. After taking off the fender I discovered this and voila! A little cancerous original metal underneath! I'm going to do this right and restore it correctly. Judging from the roughness of the cowl light holes, and my lack of a dome light I'm guessing this was a standard coupe, the cowl light holes will be patched and this will be restored as a standard coupe. I found multiple coats/colors of paint but found the original color was Chicle drab/copra drab so that's what I plan to paint it, with black wheels and blackwall tires. Its amazing what can be hidden on an 83 year old car.

I dismantled my rear spring which was sagging a bit due to the top two leaves being repositioned under the bottom leaf, and it was missing the #3 leaf. I acquired a donor spring for the # 3 leaf, cleaned all the leaves, beveled the ends/edges slightly, knocked off the groves worn on the leaf tops, hit the leaf undersides with some slip plate graphite spray, grease, reassembled it in the correct order and painted it. Ready for service!

Here is my chassis after I had some minor frame repairs and straightening done then had it powdercoated. Now I'm FINNALLY ready to start putting things back together again! The engine, brakes, and all the other goodies minus the body and fenders will go on this month. The bodywork and interior will unfortunately take much longer (probably 3-5 years) due to time and budget but I'm trying to keep steady progress.

That's all for now!

Last edited by montanafordman; 09-21-2014 at 01:11 AM.
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:50 AM   #2
Floats

Default Re: Figured I'd post a progress update.

Nice work Fordman,
Regards
Chris
Cape Town
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
pooch

Great to see guys having a go themselves.

Much satisfaction to be had .
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
Wallace

Thanks for sharing....In particular, I appreciate your neat home with the beauty of our Flag out front !
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

beautiful job and thanks for posting keepem coming
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Arron,

Nice job...Was nice to have met you in Puyallup.

AND...I think your Grandfather would be very proud of the work you have accomplished and will accomplish.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #7
montanafordman

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Steve it was great getting to meet you also! Its fun to get involved with and meet people on fordbarn, and clubs/meets where we all speak the same language so to say. Something about birds of a feather.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
mshmodela

Great work, thanks for the post and photos

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote