Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-31-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
V12Bill

Default Macs

Macs strikes again!! For the second time in a month, I received a hinge pin that was too fat and had to be ground down and a clutch pin that was too fat and had to be ground down. Easier and faster to grind them down than to pay the postage to send them back and get wrong size again. By the way, I received 2 catalogs that did not have order blanks in them. I guess they don't really want my business.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Macs

>>>I guess they don't really want my business. >>>

Yes they do. Only not the old fashioned way. Easier and faster just to pick up rod stock from HomeDepot or Lowes, grind or machine them to fit, and harden them to perfection yourself. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #3
Frank Miller

Better than being too small like the king pins someone wrote about earlier this year.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
Jack E/NJ

Hmmm. King pins sound important. I don't know if I should trust making them myself from HomeDepot's rod stock. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Old 11-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Anton Voycheck

I recently ordered from Mac's after a long break.
I ordered $55 worth of stuff-- with shipping the the total is $81.
That is $26 for shipping.
Wow.
No wonder I don't order from them much.

Is the Ford Script Battery in the Mac's catalog correct for Early V-8 (35 or 37)?

To avoid the Mac's high shipping fees-- is there anywhere else I can buy the Ford Script Battery besides Mac's?

Thanks

Voycheck
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Voycheck, you might want to do some research on the Ford Script batteries regardless of the source. All reviewed I have read rate them at poor to worthless! The only way to get a Ford Script battery that I am aware of is to find an original, gut it out and install a modern battery inside the case. A lot of threads on how to do that modification.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
tubman

I agree with JSeery about reproduction batteries. Back in my Corvette days, I bought a reproduction Delco RC-12 for each of my cars at almost $400 each. The longest lasting one went three years, and that was in a climate controlled storage area with maintainers.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

>>>The longest lasting one went three years, and that was in a climate controlled storage area with maintainers.>>>

Sounds like they weren't cycled or used very much either. This could also partly explain short life since automotive lead acids are not really designed to be used as standbys. Jack E/NJ
Old 11-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Bubsyouruncle

We are dealing with a limited market environment.

Back in the day the market drove the suppliers to provide good product.

It is now history.

And, the suppliers, who can build really good stuff, Apple?, if required, are dealing the antiquated measurement system of our dear old cars.

No big surprise.

And, there are not enough Jay Lenos to make a difference.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
>>>The longest lasting one went three years, and that was in a climate controlled storage area with maintainers.>>>

Sounds like they weren't cycled or used very much either. This could also partly explain short life since automotive lead acids are not really designed to be used as standbys. Jack E/NJ
Actually, I drove the cars a lot, and I didn't have any problems with regular old batteries from the FLAPS. I'll say it again : reproduction batteries are junk; don't waste your money.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
Dodge

And the A-holes send you 92 million email advertisements all the time.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #12
Johnnydidd

We used to have a rental business, keep going through batteries, call the manufacturer told the situation, they said to trickle charge the batteries for 24 hrs after installation. We did that and our batteries lasted twice as long.
Also I use a battery disconnect on all my old cars in case there is something running in the back ground.

Last edited by Johnnydidd; 11-02-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:44 AM   #13
Anton Voycheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Voycheck, you might want to do some research on the Ford Script batteries regardless of the source. All reviewed I have read rate them at poor to worthless! The only way to get a Ford Script battery that I am aware of is to find an original, gut it out and install a modern battery inside the case. A lot of threads on how to do that modification.

Thanks guys for the battery info. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Back to Mac's: One of my items is on back order and will be shipped separately. I think he said I would not be charged for shipping on the back ordered item. I hope not.
Anton Voycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:48 AM   #14
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
We used to have a rental business, keep going through batteries, call the manufacturer told the situation, they said to trickle charge the batteries for 24 hrs after installation. We did that and our batteries lasted twice as long.
24 hours before use, is what they mean by that. The last new battery I bought took about 6 hours on the charger to even come up to a full charge. I've also read that new batteries are "hard" and won't reach their full rated current capacity until they've been through a dozen or so engine starts. Charging new batteries through this "break-in" period means it will reach their specified "resting" open circuit voltage. This differs depending on battery chemistry. For example a modern sealed maintenance free lead-acid battery is fully charged when it reads 12.80 volts at 77°F, a battery that isn't fully charged will fairly quickly lose the ability to ever be fully charged. Older style batteries with electrolyte filler caps are fully charged at 12.65 volts, a few tenths here and there doesn't sound like much, but on a percentage basis it is quite large. Using the wrong figures, a maintenance free battery at 12.5 volts seems "close enough" but it is probably only about 65% charged. It will work but service life will not be what it could be.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Voycheck View Post

Is the Ford Script Battery in the Mac's catalog correct for Early V-8 (35 or 37)?

To avoid the Mac's high shipping fees-- is there anywhere else I can buy the Ford Script Battery besides Mac's?
The company Mac's got the script batteries from used to be in New Castle, Penn. as I recall. They were shipped "damp-dry" (purchase electrolyte locally) and were a quality conventional battery. I don't think they are around anymore. The latest script batteries offered are sealed maintenance free or AGM inside the reproduction case.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
Gary in La.

Makers of 6 volt Ford script batteries started with:
New Castle Battery in Pittsburg,Pa rights sold to
Axion Power in New Castle,Pa rights sold to
Turbo Start
The last conversations I had with Turbo stated they were not in production yet with no time schedule.
I have used these script 6 volt batteries since 1992. Ignored the cost mainly because I liked the looks. Each purchase the cost would increase. I would get 6 years out of each one. Just followed the mfg recommendations of maintaining the water level between 1/8' & 1/4" above the plates. Also would top charge with a battery charge every 4 mo.
I have now went with a non script 6 volt battery of today. Modern sizes were almost always way smaller than the original battery in my '46. Finally found a comparable size battery at O'Reilly after checking all the area parts houses and suppliers of batteries. Their p/n is SSB-2. Not found in all their stores but can be ordered. The only concession I had to make was a longer ground cable than original due to the reversed location of the posts. Very good battery.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
supereal

To put an end to battery problems, switch to Optima. My first one was in the car for 7 years, and is still used on the bench as a test power supply. Some think the cost of the Optima is too high. Just remember that it isn't always the price you pay, but how many time you pay it!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Gary in La.

I prefer a more original look!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in La. View Post
I prefer a more original look!
That's why a lot of folks put them in a Ford script case.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:39 PM   #20
Gary in La.

I know, I've sold my old script cases to guys doing that. Now it's not worth my time or trouble.