Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2010, 09:17 AM   #1
Steves46

Default Heat Shield for Speedo Cable

Although I love the sound of headers and Brockman's Mellow-Tones, I am almost convinced the heat from a small area to where my speedo cable routes through on the driver's side pipe is giving causing my speedo needle bouncing problem. When I pulled out the inner cable, it was very hot. The cable is clean, lubed and works great for a few minutes but after everything gets warmed-up, here comes the noise and bounce. Any suggestions om material that would work well as a heat shield? I was thinking either exhaust wrap or high temp hose (catylitic coverter type) that I could surround that small portion of the cable. I'm not ruling out that my speedometer may need a rebuild but want to exhaust (pardon the pun) every means before dropping a few hundred dollars.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Heat Shield for Speedo Cable

Sometimes a speedo needle bouncing problem is from a kink in the inner cable, take the inner cable out and roll it on a flat surface, if it all rolls smooth it is not kinked, but if 1 spot bumps that is a kink---carefully straighten it until it rolls smooth.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
jerry grayson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Although I love the sound of headers and Brockman's Mellow-Tones, I am almost convinced the heat from a small area to where my speedo cable routes through on the driver's side pipe is giving causing my speedo needle bouncing problem. When I pulled out the inner cable, it was very hot. The cable is clean, lubed and works great for a few minutes but after everything gets warmed-up, here comes the noise and bounce. Any suggestions om material that would work well as a heat shield? I was thinking either exhaust wrap or high temp hose (catylitic coverter type) that I could surround that small portion of the cable. I'm not ruling out that my speedometer may need a rebuild but want to exhaust (pardon the pun) every means before dropping a few hundred dollars.
Most of the time when a speedometer has needle bounce and noise the problem is the unit itself not the cable. Pull the speedometer and you will see a plug on the neck close to the area where the cable screws in. Pry this plug out and you will see a felt wick. Soak this wick with light oil (sewing machine), put the plug back and your noise most likely will be gone.
I don't think that you need the heat shield.
jerry grayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Steves46

Thanks; I'll give it a try although I will admit I'm not looking forward to working in that crampt area!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
paul2748

Go to the hot rod shops or speed shops - they have wrap that can be installed.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
55 dude

if it's just a driver aluminum foil works great until you can find or build a heat shield.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote