Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
Russ/40

Default J & M crack repair / Also Lifter use

J & M, In your photo in my earlier thread, I see your repair has locks which cross the stitching. The components necessary to do the job are extremely expensive in the "Lock and Stitch" method. Too many components for the average guy. I Pm'd you with this question that I will repeat here. With my crack, can a reasonable repair that will last, be made with the tapered screws, and tap?

I received the question regarding how thick is the top of the lifter in my earlier inquiry. Using a straight stem valve with a Mushroom valve type lifter. I found that to be .126" as the least and .205" as the thickest and the average about .130". So, there is a lot of variability. With that info, does it sound like they can be used together?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
J and M Machine

Default Re: J & M crack repair / Also Lifter use

Hello Russ: I don't come on Ford barn everyday ,just once a week when I have free time. Sorry about not getting back to you.
The way that the crack repair is done, is the threaded pins are tapered like a pipe plug and are 120 degree pitch thread. They pull each other together and the locks keep it from ever expanding again. Won't break in same spot.

To try and do it your way you need to overlap the screws by 50 percent to keep them in suspension. Irontite makes a thread sealer you could use as you install the screws. Use the smallest screws you can just big enough to fill the crack.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by J and M Machine View Post

To try and do it your way you need to overlap the screws by 50 percent to keep them in suspension. Irontite makes a thread sealer you could use as you install the screws. Use the smallest screws you can just big enough to fill the crack.
I have noticed the "lock n Stitch" method does not use a tapered pin, and relies on a shoulder of their screw to get max strength. Also their lock is a special piece. With the tapered type pins, is that what I need use as a lock cross-wise of the crack as well?

Most appreciative of your counsel.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
J and M Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
I have noticed the "lock n Stitch" method does not use a tapered pin, and relies on a shoulder of their screw to get max strength. Also their lock is a special piece. With the tapered type pins, is that what I need use as a lock cross-wise of the crack as well?

Most appreciative of your counsel.

That's their method and as you've mentioned expensive. Though theirs is also a 120 degree pitch thread that pulls metal together.
You won't have that advantage using your screws. That's why i mentioned the "Irontite" sealer to use on threads.
If you notice the pictures of our crack repairs as I mentioned you have to drill and tap right on the screws by approx 50% to keep them tight going along length of crack and across it. Depends on how long your crack is for amount of stitches needed to go across.
J and M Machine is offline   Reply With Quote