Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 8rt bellhousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
How can I tell if this wheel is correct for the 8ba and not from an earlier type?
8BA-type flywheel has the clutch bolt holes drilled THROUGH to the back side. '48 and earlier the clutch bolt holes are BLIND holes. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #22
George/Maine

Why do you want a 9" for a 1 ton? you are not going to wind that truck up fast and maybe even burn it out.
I see you have a 11" clutch and flywheel and starter plate still bolted to pan. use that one, On tire.
Trucks use 10" and 11" same bolt pattern.
I have a 8rt in my 47 coupe with a 10" and it works great.
I work buy a new 10 "PP and 10 "clutch disk
With my new pp and clutch no more chatter.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If it was me I wouldn't use an 11 inch, but the 10 inch should be about perfect in a truck.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Thanks for all the info. Can't really see the back side of installed plate til I pick it off the tire. The 9" clutch is because I have a couple of projects going at once. The pickup based woodie and the tonner pickup. I always use 11" clutches in my tonners and larger trucks. I tend to haul a lot of weight and pull tandem axle trailers etc. The 9" clutch would be for the woodie. I'm hoping to find a 3 speed transmission for that one. I hauled 4 jailbar trucks from Eastern Washington last fall that were part of a trade. None of them had an engine, but the 8ba was in the deal. I have been calling this engine with the 11" clutch an 8rt but noticed it has 8ba on the heads. Not sure when I will complete these projects or what engines I will use. I have 3 59 abs here in various stages. I just hate having junky stuff like dead engines and dead trucks all over the place. I like an engine properly stored that is complete and is known to run. That's why I want to complete these 8ba's. As long as I can remember I have loved to take engines apart and put them back together. Clean and freshened up, but not always rebuilt the way some do here. Here's my first tonner, a 38 that I hauled with back in the '80s. Mehanical brakes, 59ab with 4" crank, switched it to 12 v so I could use electric trailer brakes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4098.jpg (58.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4102.jpg (39.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1030.jpg (53.7 KB, 25 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:14 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i have 3 cast ones, and no steel ones. sadly, i am 1500 miles away. want to trade? there are 2 different starter plates for these, one has a quite large opening around the rear main, for a truck pan? the other smaller one is merc . i only have the large hole plate. van pelts will show the plates, or some one here must know
PM sent
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 01-04-2016, 05:28 PM   #26
cas3

excellent reference page john put up, http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/flathead.htm , can any one tell me, on page 29 and 30 of the 48 to 53 bell id page, what does the aluminum plate with 5 holes bolt to? no holes on starter plate or oil pan, what am i missing? thanks, skip
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #27
flatheadmurre

Long bolts through the oilpan holds it in place.
The other holes are for holding the rubberstrip in place, it has small nobs that fits in the holes.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #28
tacomacream

Hey GB, I have a couple of these cast bell housings on the floor of my garage; they are from the later V8 and are from the big truck. IMG_3567.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3567.jpg (172.7 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by tacomacream; 01-04-2016 at 08:00 PM.
tacomacream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #29
Ross F-1

I'm real curious about that starter plate too. The truck plates have an indented area for the "dust seal" on the back of the oil pan/crankshaft.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dust shield.JPG (64.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 PM   #30
Binx

Maybe time to bring up this oldie but goodie. Hover your cursor over the "?" for information.

http://www.flatheadv8.org/bellhousing.pdf

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #31
GB SISSON

Talking Re: 8rt bellhousing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomacream View Post
Hey GB, I have a couple of these cast bell housings on the floor of my garage; they are from the later V8 and are from the big truck. IMG_3567.jpg
Well let's get this thing started! Is Stevens Pass open?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:24 PM   #32
tacomacream

Quote:
Well let's get this thing started! Is Stevens Pass open?
I sent a couple of 16" flathead wheels on the bus to the Tacoma bus station last summer, so that seems like a good option. I could send what you need to the bus station nearest to you. We could time it to get there the next time you come to the mainland. Or we could wait until you come east for materials.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:48 PM   #33
GB SISSON

I sent a set of 17" wheels to Texas a couple years ago from the greyhound station in Mt. Vernon. That's where your bh would come in. I am down with this, as my kids would say....
Old 01-05-2016, 02:06 PM   #34
tacomacream

Quote:
I sent a set of 17" wheels to Texas a couple years ago from the greyhound station in Mt. Vernon. That's where your bh would come in. I am down with this, as my kids would say....
Could you PM your email? Thanks
Old 01-09-2016, 02:35 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
8BA-type flywheel has the clutch bolt holes drilled THROUGH to the back side. '48 and earlier the clutch bolt holes are BLIND holes. DD

Thanks, I determined it's the right flywheel. Now for the question of the day.... The stamped steel bellhousing I found lines up neatly with the back of the 8ba from a car, but the steel plate doesn't. It's fairly close, within about 1/4" in most places, but no dice.??? A friend mentioned maybe it's from a six? As you can see if that dowel pin went in it wouldn't clear the flange on the crank... I guess now I need the right plate. Also this setup may go in my 1/2 ton woodie. Will a 3 speed bolt right up? I hear a car 3 speed is longer, too long for a pickup. In needs to be a floor shift, not column. In the end will I need yet another cast bh to mount an 8 ba with 3 speed into a half ton? Thanks.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #36
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The half-bell, similar in appearance to the one laying on the ground in the first photo, will mount an earlier 3-speed to the 8ba engine.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #37
George/Maine

The big plate you don.t need may not even be ford.
Use the starter plate still on engine bolted to pan.
If you have a truck trans open drive your side shift can be changed to floor shift.
Pic is truck case with 47 parts inside.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #38
51504bat

I'm with George/Maine. The plate isn't from any flathead V-8 that I've ever seen. Possibly from a straight 6 but that's just a wild ass guess on my part.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #39
cas3

the starter plate you need is leaning up against the wall in tacoma creams's barn. far left in photo
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:37 PM   #40
GB SISSON

TC shipped me a cast iron truck bell along with it's starter plate. We decided on greyhound which of course doesn't come to our island. It is waiting for me at the station in Mt. Vernon Wa. In the meantime I talked to a friend who I remembered had a couple of flatheads around his shop, some in pieces and I'm picking up a cast bell with it's starter plate today. This will allow me to put a starter on the engine with no flywheel in it and crank it over.Yay! If I can't find a usable 8ba type carb, will a 59 ab type work without that port? Suddenly I have 2 cast iron bellhousings. Thanks so much for all the help. I'm watching the post about waterpumps, because I will need engine mount feet on them for this engine that turns over. My run stand is set up for 59ab mounting.Will 59 ab pumps mount up, but just not get oil? If so I could I pump these full in the oil hole for the test run? I could always steal the pumps off the stuck engine next to it. Still waiting for the atf, acetone mix to do it's thing.....