Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-26-2022, 09:40 AM   #1
hogluvr

Default 1940 Parts, Reference Resources

Hey Guys,

New to the forum. Just made a deal on a '40 Standard Coupe (my dream car since high school, and I am a LOOOONG way from being a teenager ). It is basically a roller that will need a lot of love. I know little to nothing about these cars so I am looking for good reference sources as well as parts sources. Found the book by Kube and ordered that last night but would like to know what else is out there. I am seriously thinking about going flathead for a drivetrain (yeah, I know, another long dark road ) so I'm looking for parts and resources there as well. I'd appreciate any input and thanks in advance, really stoked about this one!
hogluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:22 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1940 Parts, Reference Resources

Welcome!
I like the idea of going with the flathead. Done with patience (read: correctly) they are a very reliable power source. Plus, much more interesting than a SBC.
Parts, good quality parts, are getting tough to source. they are "out there" and surely, as is old guys start "moving on" there will be even more hoards exposed and liquidated.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:55 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

I too have a 40 V8 (std) coupe. I always liked the looks of that front end better than the deluxe. If you decide to keep the car stock, I possibly could help you with missing parts as I have some extras. You didn't post what area you live but I am sure someone here could suggest a trusted flathead machinist nearby. You don't want someone who doesn't have experience with flatheads doing work on a rebuildable block. The book you purchased is the best there is identifying what is correct. If having the car judged isn't your goal, there are many service replacement parts that will work that are easier and cheaper to obtain then what came on the car from the factory. There was just a discussion here about spark plugs as an example. The book referred to as the "green bible" lists service replacements by listing the range of years the specific part fits.
You are in the right forum if you choose to use a flathead.
As Kube mentioned, older restored cars get sold as the owners "moved on" and often get converted to street rods. When this happens, a good usable drivetrain often shows up on places like Craigslist. It is sad when this happens but since 40s are popular it does. Keep your eyes out if there are places near you that build cars.
Welcome to this forum!

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 01-26-2022 at 11:04 AM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:15 AM   #4
DavidG

Copies of the original 1940 chassis parts and body parts catalogs and owners manuals come up for sale in the swap meet ads herein, classified ads on the V8 Club website, Amazon, and ebay, usually at reasonable prices, as do the period service bulletins. All are highly informative and great supplements to Mike's book.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 11:35 AM   #5
hogluvr

Thanks for the replies guys! I forgot to mention that I'm not going completely stock on this, more of as a mild custom. Not cutting it up or anything like that but not doing a 100% restoration either. I am in Ohio, the guy I am buying it from said there was a guy local to the area but he went out of business, so I guess the hunt is on for a good machine shop too.
hogluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #6
tubman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Actually, you have already found the best resource for what you are doing : this forum. I doubt that there is anything you have to do that has not been done several times by multiple members. The Swap Meet section is also a great resource, and I have found a "wanted" ad to be quite effective. This is also the only place that I have gotten free parts a couple of times.

It sounds like you're good to go.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #7
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogluvr View Post
Hey Guys,

New to the forum. Just made a deal on a '40 Standard Coupe (my dream car since high school, and I am a LOOOONG way from being a teenager ). It is basically a roller that will need a lot of love. I know little to nothing about these cars so I am looking for good reference sources as well as parts sources. Found the book by Kube and ordered that last night but would like to know what else is out there. I am seriously thinking about going flathead for a drivetrain (yeah, I know, another long dark road ) so I'm looking for parts and resources there as well. I'd appreciate any input and thanks in advance, really stoked about this one!

If you're near Defiance you might want to check with Phil Goller @ Gollers Hot Rod shop.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:51 PM   #8
kirkf

Any parts you think you will need should be ordered as soon as possible.
The selection of available 1940 parts is dwindling by the day, and i don't think they will ever be re-stocked.

Kirk
kirkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 03:28 PM   #9
supereal

Contact Early Ford Parts Inc. 800/266-0470 and request their catalog. It covers 1932-1956 Ford cars and pickups., plus 1939-1956 Mercury. It has good illustrations and tips.
My son and I operate the largest machine shop in our area (Iowa), and depend on C&G for parts for our collector clients. They handle quality parts, and will be honest about any backorders. I have used them since my Model A days, and for my current '47 ragtop.
I have no connection with them, but as a long time satisfied customer.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote