Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-20-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
J Witt

Default Cooling system or engine system

Does anyone have some measurements of what the actual temperature drop should be across the radiator for a flathead?

Obviously this is sort of a gotcha question, cause someone will ask about the conditions for the measurements, which is a legitimate question. But if we stipulate that an idling (say) 221 engine should see perhaps 190 deg out of the engine, what should we see down at the lower hoses returning into the engine -- 170?, that is a 20 degree F delta T across the radiator? What should that number be?

All I'm after here is an idea of the ball park I should see in my '36. I can then evaluate whether I have an engine problem or a cooling system problem -- right.

It would be nice to have some idea of those numbers, even better the same info under highway conditions. For engines of the same size and design, the heat rejection should be about the same.

Is anyone running a stock flathead setup in Phoenix in the summer -- ambient temps can be as high as 120F?

Come November, the posts will turn to heaters.

Thanks,

John
Old 06-20-2016, 03:19 PM   #2
36fordguy

Default Re: Cooling system or engine system

You should see about 50 degrees across the radiator. A bigger drop would indicate your water pumps are not pushing enough water thru the radiator. I know this will start a dicussion
36fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote