Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #41
Alaska Jim

Default Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Oldmics, Thanks you. I had my brother build it for my '30 coupe. it is a bored and stroked 292 , now displacing 313 C.I. has a 312 crank with 312 rods modified for the 292 block, 292 pistons, a mild Howard cam, ( needed to be compatible with my C-4 auto ) the rockers are Harlan & Sharps from Ted Eaton. The heads are not the best, but were all we had at the time, they are C1TE , they have been milled, but don't remember how much off-hand --do not have the build sheet handy. They have much larger valves and have been ported and polished. my brother is a machinist, and we hope to run the eng. on the dyno where he works when it is finally finished. it is close just a few minor things to do, but we keep jumping from one project to another, as parts and time become available. we are hopeing for about 300 HP. I would like to swap the 272 in the coupe out for this eng. sometime this winter if my health ( long story ) and time allow it. the rods in the engine are the ones I bought from you a while back, Thanks for giving me a fair price on them, they are non-existent up here.

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 11-09-2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: more info
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM   #42
Alaska Jim

Oldmics, I envy all you guys in the lower 48 states. with all the swap meets, and craig's lists, there has to be tons of opportunities to find stuff like that 2x4 set-up and tons of other neat stuff. I think I am turning green
Old 11-09-2017, 04:40 PM   #43
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing / M260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmics View Post

Real item as found

Oldmics
THOSE ARE THEY!

I have the M260 Service Letter somewhere. Those are Helling and Stelling (pretty sure) as they were popular back in the day. The ones I showed previously were 427 COBRA..

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:33 AM   #44
KULTULZ

Post Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Here they (air cleaners) are again-

Some more eye candy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 312 E-CODE _2.jpg (27.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 1957 E-CODE Race.jpg (24.0 KB, 22 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-15-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #45
Alaska Jim

I sure do admire that chrome oval air cleaner. I think it is the best one of the 2x4 teapot air cleaners, although it may not be the best breathing one, it does look a little restrictive, but I may be wrong. I just know that I really like the looks of it.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #46
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post

I sure do admire that chrome oval air cleaner.
I am not sure if the chrome is OEM Jim. The other should be factory color ARGENT.

I just came across them while Carousing With My Browser ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FoMoCo-ROTUNDA Logos.jpg (3.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg Autolite Logo.jpg (8.9 KB, 156 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-16-2017, 06:57 PM   #47
Alaska Jim

I have seen pictures of them both ways, but I suspect you are right, and that they probably were argent from the factory
Old 11-16-2017, 07:22 PM   #48
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:

I have seen pictures of them both ways, but I suspect you are right, and that they probably were argent from the factory
I am not sure chromed (brite finish) was not available. It may well have been.

Don't let me kill your dreams...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logos- AUTOLITE STAR.jpg (13.9 KB, 2 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #49
rowens55

Chrome, argent, re-pop, original (out of my price range).... wouldn't really care. That air cleaner is pretty!! JMHO
Old 11-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #50
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing / M260

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

I have the M260 Service Letter somewhere.
Found it while sorting through stuff-

Quote:
...for converting the STD 1956 MERCURY ENGINE to the specifications of the M 260 OPTIONAL ENGINE
...which implies (to me anyway) that the M 260 was available as a factory option (RPO).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 MERC- M260 Engine Kit.jpg (107.0 KB, 24 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #51
dmsfrr

Default Re: E code Air cleaner housing / M260

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
...which implies (to me anyway) that the M 260 was available as a factory option (RPO).
A link that shows the 2x4 was available in late '56 and could be ordered as a dealer installed kit.

http://www.portholeauthority.com/thu...ch/engine.html

A photo of a '56 Bird with a 2x4 setup, taken on the side of the road in the desert west of Yuma Arizona, when it started leaking transmission fluid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg checking trans fluid.jpg (76.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 11-24-2017 at 11:13 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #52
scicala

Not 100 % sure about that one. The chart shows the '56 312 P code with 2x4 carbs as 225 HP. That's the same HP that the single 4 barrel 312 had in '56. The picture appears to have the Edelbrock 2x4 intake (as used on the M260 kit) possibly, since the vacuum for the power brakes is in the center of the intake. The '57 2x4 intake wasn't tapped for vacuum. would be interesting to know the carb numbers. Probably the same as the M260 carbs.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #53
KULTULZ

Question Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Not 100 % sure about that one. The chart shows the '56 312 P code with 2x4 carbs as 225 HP. That's the same HP that the single 4 barrel 312 had in '56.

The picture appears to have the Edelbrock 2x4 intake (as used on the M260 kit) possibly, since the vacuum for the power brakes is in the center of the intake. The '57 2x4 intake wasn't tapped for vacuum. would be interesting to know the carb numbers. Probably the same as the M260 carbs.

Sal
There is still a lot of confusion over this after all of these years. Most everything seems to be generalization(s).

The M 260 was MERCURY dedicated (Service Letter Shown In Above Post). FORD's dedicated description was POWER-PACK in 1956 for 8V.

Now to add to the confusion, MERC decided to not use the HOLLEY 4000 for the 56 model run (312 4V) and used the WCFB instead (what did they use for a distributor?). I have several shots of M 260 installs that show CARTER carbs. FORD used 4000's.

I am fairly certain MERC had their intake (M 260) cast outside (EDEL - MOON - BUDDY BAR possibly?). Usually, when a intake manifold shows an Engineering Basic Part No 9424, it indicates outside source whereas 9425 indicates a FORD casting (came to realize this on 1960 352CI-360HP alum intake).

EDIT-

The 1956 MERC M 260 intake (ECZ- 9424-C) is supposedly based on the EDEL FM-255 intake of the period.

Here is a reference to the 1956 FORD 312 8V POWER PACK kit-

https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/19568VOption.php
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB- EDLE FM255 8V Intake _1.jpg (26.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg FYB- EDLE FM255 8V Intake _2.jpg (21.6 KB, 12 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Last edited by KULTULZ; 11-24-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: ADD INFO
Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #54
Oldmics
BANNED

Well I"ll start with dmsfrr photo of the 56 setup.

The intent for the Ford Power Pack was as a race package for the roundy roundy lads. The hardware was designed for use in vehicles with standard shift trannys only.

There was no kickdown rod or automatic bell crank made for use on either the Mercury M 260 kit or the Ford 260 Power Pack to accomidate an automatic transmission.

Therefore that pretty blue 56 never had that kit originally.

The vaccum signal supplied for the power brakes on the
blue Bird is tapped from a pipe off of the front carburator accessing manifold vaccum.

The blue Bird has an original Ford dual quad manifold as the Edelbrock did not have the correct carb spacing to fit that oval air cleaner on top.

Onwards to Kultulz"s

We have gone around on this topic previously

I am only going to stay with factory documented items - such as the M 260 using the Holly carbs and not Carters.

A look at your posted Mercury M 260 parts list confirms the use of the two Hollys (EDB-9510-C)

There a many pictures of the M 260 manifold sporting the Carter carbs and yes I agree the racers probably did try the Carters BUT the Mercury factory documentation specs Hollys.

Merc did use BOTH Carter and Holly carbs for the 1956 - 312 engines. I have factory documentation of this fact in the form of Mercury TSB #37 dated 4/6/56

Merc also used that shitty Load "O" Matic distributor for the 56 model year.

The M 260 manifold is a clone of the Edelbrock unit.

I have a conversation with Ed Iskenderian that I recorded.
He speaks of the cams he was grinding at the time for Edelbrock who was sending the M 260 cams and manifolds parts back east to the race teams.

I find your observation on the manifold numbers interesting.

You certainly have a much broader Ford knowledge base than I do.

However Ford themselves did produce both the 1956 - 9425 manifold as well as the 1957 - 9424 manifolds.

So I"m not sure if that statement would be true generalisation.

I recently sold an original Ford 260 Power Pack kit that was N.O.S.

I acquired it mostly to obtain the knowledge on the camshaft that I cam doctored for the results.
Also discovered the way the distributor advance was preformed and limited for that race kit.

I would assume the distributor info would be pertinate to the Merc M 260 setup also.

Oldmics

Last edited by Oldmics; 11-24-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 AM   #55
KULTULZ

Quote:

The blue Bird has an original Ford dual quad manifold as the Edelbrock did not have the correct carb spacing to fit that oval air cleaner on top.
And that will explain why the M 260 kit came through with two air cleaners.

Quote:
Onwards to Kultulz"s
...uh-oh...

Quote:

I am only going to stay with factory documented items - such as the M 260 using the Holly carbs and not Carters.

A look at your posted Mercury M 260 parts list confirms the use of the two Hollys (EDB-9510-C)

There a many pictures of the M 260 manifold sporting the Carter carbs and yes I agree the racers probably did try the Carters BUT the Mercury factory documentation specs Hollys.

Merc did use BOTH Carter and Holly carbs for the 1956 - 312 engines. I have factory documentation of this fact in the form of Mercury TSB #37 dated 4/6/56

Merc also used that shitty Load "O" Matic distributor for the 56 model year.

He speaks of the cams he was grinding at the time for Edelbrock who was sending the M 260 cams and manifolds parts back east to the race teams.

You certainly have a much broader Ford knowledge base than I do.

However Ford themselves did produce both the 1956 - 9425 manifold as well as the 1957 - 9424 manifolds.

So I"m not sure if that statement would be true generalisation.
So how did the LOM Dist receive vacuum signals from a CARTER?

Bill Stroppe was working with MERC DIV and most of their performance parts were developed by him (or with his input) including the M 335 and MEL 3 X 2. So MERC went on a slightly different path.

Quote:
I recently sold an original Ford 260 Power Pack kit that was N.O.S.

I acquired it mostly to obtain the knowledge on the camshaft that I cam doctored for the results.

Also discovered the way the distributor advance was preformed and limited for that race kit.

I would assume the distributor info would be pertinate to the Merc M 260 setup also.

Oldmics
What I find on this subject is a spattering of info here and there, most not exact and contradictory. It seems it should pretty well be documented by now.

OK, I am sure you photographed and documented the kit.

What is it going to cost to acquire that information?

BTW- I spent about twenty years in dealership parts rooms and service and did learn a lot most don't take the time to learn. I was also a Saturday morning junk yard aficionado. I am and was always a FORD nut (certified).

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-25-2017, 02:51 AM   #56
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:

Let me interject here. In addition to the 8V Kit, I read a reference to a separate ENGINE DRESS KIT. I am a$$-u-me(ing) this is where the chromed air cleaner shots are coming from.

So keep your hopes up. I am pretty sure this is what is going on ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-25-2017, 03:01 AM   #57
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: E code Air cleaner housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post

Not 100 % sure about that one. The chart shows the '56 312 P code with 2x4 carbs as 225 HP. That's the same HP that the single 4 barrel 312 had in '56.

The picture appears to have the Edelbrock 2x4 intake (as used on the M260 kit) possibly, since the vacuum for the power brakes is in the center of the intake. The '57 2x4 intake wasn't tapped for vacuum. would be interesting to know the carb numbers. Probably the same as the M260 carbs.

Sal
You are sharp! That one blew past me.

There were two ratings on the 312 4V, one for STD TRANS and the other (higher) for the AT. I am a$$-u-me(ing) the higher HP (cam change) was to have the two cars have the same basic performance levels as the AT drew a lot of HP.

As for Power Brakes, the kit installed in the 57 FORD would most likely had manual brakes and a STD trans so no need for TV linkage or manifold vacuum source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FYB Ratings - 1956.jpg (24.0 KB, 8 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-25-2017, 04:10 AM   #58
KULTULZ

I am editing and posting this article for further clarification on the 1956 8V POWER-PACK KIT-

Quote:
The 1956 8V (dual four) Kit was introduced and released to the public July 6, 1956 by Production Service Letter P-311a. The title of the letter was 312 CUBIC INCH HIGH POWER ENGINE KIT. Stating "A new high power kit (B6A-9000-B) has been released for use on the 1956 312 cubic inch passenger car engine, when customers may desire to obtain maximum performance from 1956 cars where it is desired, as in law enforcement, stock car racing, etc."

A quote from the letter states "This new power pack kit will be available through Ford dealers and will be adapted to 1956 312 cubic inch passenger cars with standard or overdrive transmissions only."

It is believed that few if any of these kits were installed during the 1956 production year due the release date to the public, July 6, 1956 and the end of production of the 1956 models, August 24, 1956. The first high out put single four-barrel kits introduced in production letter M-118a as well as the dual four kits introduced in production letter P-311a were not installed at the factory. They could be special ordered over the counter from most Ford dealerships. Any qualified mechanic could install the kit.

Documentation from one the B6A-9600-B kits provide installation instructions for passenger cars with standard three-speed or overdrive transmissions.

The last paragraph in the instruction sheet found in one of these kits states, "When installing this kit on a Thunderbird, follow the same procedures as listed above."

"The following parts are necessary for the Thunderbird installation: AH- 9725-F Shaft Assembly, AH-99830-C Hanger Assembly, EDB-9600-B Air Cleaner" (Oval Air Cleaner). I interpret this to mean these parts were not in the kit, it would not be practical to supply two types of air cleaners in the kit.

Additional research is being conducted on all the kits
Gil

SOURCE- https://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/19568VOption.php

And as has been previously mentioned, the main reason for the release was to make it NASCAR legal in all probability and to make the parts available for NASCAR teams..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 BIRD POWER-PACK KIT _2.jpg (25.7 KB, 18 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #59
KULTULZ

Quote:

The intent for the Ford Power Pack was as a race package for the roundy roundy lads. The hardware was designed for use in vehicles with standard shift trannys only.

There was no kickdown rod or automatic bell crank made for use on either the Mercury M 260 kit or the Ford 260 Power Pack to accomidate an automatic transmission.

Therefore that pretty blue 56 never had that kit originally.
It may have been the BIRD had a tranny modification, i.e. a manual valve body upgrade as to where a TVS or Modular Valve was not needed. The trans is then operated manually. It is also possible the TVS linkage was fabricated.

Quote:
Onwards to Kultulz"s

There is no going around. A subject is being discussed without all factory information possibly being found.

Quote:

And I agree (at this point), but I have several shots of the M 260 Kit (factory photos) of it's also being CARTER EQUIPPED (I need to dig those out).

Quote:

I could possibly see the 57 E-CODE intake as being factory cast as it (option) was RPO, but possibly not the 56 POWER-PACK intake as it was limited production and would have cost a small fortune in casting and tooling.

Much cheaper (and easier) to farm out.

Even more, the aftermarket intake fabricators would have much more flow knowledge/experience than FORD ENGINEERING at the time as also shown for their dependency on ISKY.

I learned many years ago to never say never regarding FOMOCO...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #60
5851a

I find all of the above very interesting. Things were sure moving fast in the 50's to the mid 70's.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote