Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
emf

Default 54 Ignition Switch Installation

OK, I searched the forum here and the Ford Barn and I know how the parts are supposed to go together. I had to remove the switch because the wire to the flasher broke right at the terminal of the switch. I have been trying to piece the many parts together and hold them in position with my hand cramped and up inside the dash. Gravity here is not your friend and the lamp holder falls away from the switch causing the entire collection of parts to fall to the floor. This is where I insert a few choice words (over and over and over again). Aside from hiring a 3" tall leprechaun, is there some secret to putting this assembly back into the dash? Are there special tools that hold all these parts together while they get inserted into the dash? I swear, the engineer that came up with this design must have been an agent of the competition...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
paul2748

Default Re: 54 Ignition Switch Installation

This is one of those jobs that you have to keep at it. With the fairly heavy spring on the switch it's hard to get every thing lined up before your hand gives out. been there. Sorry I could offer more.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

Isn't your headlight switch immediately above the ignition switch on the '54? On the '55 dash, the backlight housing is encompassed by both the headlight switch and the ignition switch. Therefore, you can remove either switch without the backlight housing falling out.
To me, the ignition switch is the easiest to remove on the '55 dash. You can kneel down outside the open driver door, reaching in behind the dash with the left hand and push (compressing the spring and relieving the tension on the dash bezel keeper), while with your right hand you can actually just push while twisting the keeper counterclockwise. Voila, the ignition switch is released from the dash.
The chrome bezel on the face of the dash always sticks because of the little o-ring gasket stuffed behind it.
To re-install, take same position as before and push the switch back into the hole with the keyway aligned. Push in enough to compress the spring and insert your little black plastic label on with the keyway aligned also, having your keeper handy on the corner of the seat to pick up and install. Push it and twist clockwise, release and voila, you switch is re-installed.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:39 AM   #4
emf

That description is not the same as a 54. On mine, the backlight housing is for the ignition switch alone. The emergency brake handle is in the way, as is the wiper control. If there was a way to lock the backlight housing to the switch, it might be a bit easier...

Frank
Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #5
54vicky

if and when you master the art of getting it all lined up then putting the nut(for lack of a better word)than another fun adventure starts.being well into my 7 century I can sympathize with you.mac's sells a tool for the nut it is a piece of shxt I bought one a few years ago to hopefully aid in tightening the nut (arthritis makes it harder as time passes)the tool need to be modified as the blade is not deep enough I found.patience is the only thing that will help.I have found sometimes it would fall into place other times not.I found it helped to walk away let my arm and wrist relax then go at it again and again.it may help if you have someone give you a hand one pushing it into place and the other putting the nut on as they can guide you getting it in right as they can look through the hole as that can be tricky also by yourself.it will help if person pushing is a couple of centuries younger

Last edited by 54vicky; 03-27-2019 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling
54vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:20 PM   #6
JimNNN

I recently rewired my '54 Ranch Wagon, and replaced the ignition switch, among many other things. I know it's a lot of work, but taking out the front seat made things a lot more accessible, and made it so I could easily peek under the dash to see what I was doing rather than trying to do it by feel. My replacement wasn't an original style switch, but had it's challenges too...all made easier by taking out the front seat, so try that (if you haven't done so already.)
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #7
emf

I've come to the conclusion that my problem lies with the backlight housing. I might try to find a way to keep that sucker in place by itself and then, once that is accomplished, insert the switch. I have the seat back as far as it will go, and can see the innards quite well, but anything is worth a try...

Frank
Old 03-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #8
Daves55Sedan

Maybe you can cut two little strips of duct tape and use them to temporarily tape the backlight housing (loosely) by providing a loop in the tape between the housing and back of the dash. That will hold it and allow you to align the position of the housing with respect to the hole in the dash once you begin to insert the ignition switch in through the back.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
emf

I thought of something similar, I'll try to get to it on the weekend. I'll let you know how I make out...

Frank
Old 05-01-2019, 02:53 AM   #10
mobileparts

For anyone who is struggling with a Chineseum switch and tumbler --
I have some N.O.S. U.S.A. made aftermarket ignition switches and tumblers -- &
====== Two (2) last N.O.S. ++ FOMOCO ++ Switches & Tumblers!!!! =======
mobileparts is offline   Reply With Quote