Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
George Miller

Default Re: Pulling engine questions

Here is the best engine lifting strap that I have ever used. It is easy to use you can get any engine angle you need and it wont slip. Another one of my Dads tools from the old repair garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine lift 002.jpg (34.1 KB, 119 views)
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:31 PM   #22
Rien

I just wanted to post my method on how I pulled my engine (note: it is not pulled yet, I forgot to remove the radius ball bolts, and the bolts are spinning, I have to seperate the tranny first.)

The idea was that not to use the spark plugs for the reasons jcheshire mentioned about stripping the holes. The pattern for each stud i used was engine-wooden block-'L' shaped lifting bracket-nut-washer-nut
the wooden blocks are to prevent the 'L' shaped bracket from twisting and pulling the stud up at a angle that appears could bend it depending on its condition. The double nut/washer deal was to divide the weight per thread on each stud by increasing the number of threads used.

I had the bracket setup that I believe JTW was referring to where you can easily adjust the center of gravity/angle to more easily remove the engine from the driveshaft.

Edit: I through in a 2nd pic.
And make sure your valves are closed on pistons 1 and 4 so you dont put pressure on your valves with the wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4092 compressed.jpg (74.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4093 compressed.jpg (64.4 KB, 111 views)
Rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #23
rollingsculpture

Cool Re: Pulling engine questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
You say you don't have a cherry picker and frame is bare(no running gear. Position the frame on the floor, manhandle the motor/trans "into" the frame. Pick the frame up and attach the mounts. Now you, your son, and friends can pick up either end to roll the fornt/rear end assy's into position. Took my 29 roadster apart this way bacl in'59, then frame and engine into the cellar to clean up, etc.
Paul in CT
thats sweet
Old 02-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #24
Tom Wesenberg

Your method of pulling the engine is fine. Pulling by 2 spark plug holes is fine and I use that method and also use the rope or seat belt method, where I go around the water inlet and intake manifold.

From your piston tops it's plain to see the rings are shot and burning oil.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #25
Rien

I honestly know next to nothing about engines, but I run circles around somebody with electronics and microcontrollers. Apparently I have to replace the piston rings. When i run my finger up the side of the cylinder, there is a little lip at the top. The engine hasnt been started in maybe 45 years to my knowledge which was when it was last moved, if it wasnt started then, then it may be as long as 60 years ago.
These pictures are of the engine uncleaned, I have not wiped it with anything yet. I only pulled the head because I failed the compression test.

Thanks for the heads up about the problem.
Rien is offline   Reply With Quote