Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
tsteger

Default 39 convertible coupe

I have a 39 convertible coupe. I am working on the header bow. I have a 40 year old reproduction wood bow . it will not fit the contour of the windshield frame and the pre drilled holes do not line up. the weather strip gulley machined in it for the rubber seal to fit in is not on the right angle to the lip on the frame. any one have any input on what I should do or look for. thanks tim email; [email protected] or call and leave message 1-717-633-5059 land line
tsteger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 39 convertible coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteger View Post
I have a 39 convertible coupe. I am working on the header bow. I have a 40 year old reproduction wood bow . it will not fit the contour of the windshield frame and the pre drilled holes do not line up. the weather strip gulley machined in it for the rubber seal to fit in is not on the right angle to the lip on the frame. any one have any input on what I should do or look for. thanks tim email; [email protected] or call and leave message 1-717-633-5059 land line
The repop bows were never top quality in my opinion. Even the current ones come with a "warning" of sorts letting the buyer know it WILL require some modification. Too bad really, but that's the reality.

If you are certain your cowl is not out of alignment, then you'll need to modify your bow to fit.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #3
Milt/Las Vegas

I had the same problem with my 40 convertible,so I bought a new one from Oakbows from Pa.fits good,not cheap.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
blucar

I had a very difficult time getting a front header panel and rear main bow for my '39 convert. My 39 is a Plymouth which is a Briggs bodied car, which many of the open Fords of the '30's were. The 35-39 Ford and Plymouth conv coupes share a lot of similar parts.
My car had an original header panel which was made out of 3/4" oak laminated together. The aftermarket panels I bought were a solid piece of wood which were warped when I got them. I was told that the latch system would pull them down.
Another problem was the channel in the wood was not wide enough for the metal channel that the original header had.
At the time I was working on two '39 conv'ts. I ended up making my own header panel and rear bow, using 3/4" oak for the header which I laminated together using a marine grade of glue. I made up a "buck" for the rear bow, then laminated 1/4" oak strips over the buck..
It has been over ten years since I made the bows, no distortion, etc., has occurred..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Plym top assy.10.jpg (64.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 10-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
flathead48

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I purchased a front and rear for my 48 from Oak Bows in Pa. Quality products.
flathead48 is offline   Reply With Quote